Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Does this imply the end of production?

Not necessarily.

There have been plenty of name / number livery options offered and some beautiful ready-weathered ones (even if Dapol did appear to copy Kernow MRC's work there) so maybe the market is sated for now.  But I'd bet more will be along in due course.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Does this imply the end of production?

There's is a periodical sale of westerns, I have 8 (D1000/13/5/23/41/48/58/62) 4 of which were bought over the last few years in sales as it was "too good to miss", I have all the preserved ones bar D1010, I really don't need anymore westerns, but what happens to be on offer right now ?

The only livery I'm missing is blue half yellow ends, afaik it's not been done (pristine condition).

Edited by adb968008

I went to Rails site to get a green one but their website was playing up (possibly saturated by demand for the bargains). When I eventually did get on properly, the green ones were gone. Oh well, it wasn't meant to be. :)

Edit: tried again just now and there were still some green ones of D1002 showing. However, when adding one to the basket it said they were no longer available.

Edited by SRman

I couldn't resist and caved in and got a maroon one.

Turned up today ! Couldn't believe the weight of it. Thought they had sent two by mistake.

On taking it out of the box it is somewhat more impressive than the old Lima ones I have tucked away !

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I went the other way and bought new blinds from Precision Labels. It was the way that PL supply all of the characters in dedicated blind strips that got me thinking.....

I used Precision Labels too.  I was just too scared that I would damage the loco taking it apart.  They look more than acceptable from a normal viewing distance.

Turned up today ! Couldn't believe the weight of it. Thought they had sent two by mistake.

On taking it out of the box it is somewhat more impressive than the old Lima ones I have tucked away !

I am teetering on getting a blue one - just need to get it authorised by management. :no:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is it just me or has everyone else had trouble fitting the supplied screw link couplings to the fitted coupling hook.  Most pictures of Dapol Westerns show them not fitted.  I am finding it impossible to get the top link to drop into the notch provided for it.  Any suggestions?

No trouble at all here.  Mine are glued and this one isn't quite centred correctly but was the first suitable image I found.

post-3305-0-63836800-1507673107_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I know, wasn’t that the one that came out weathered for Kernow ?

Please don’t tell me some hit the streets pristine.. i’ll Have to get dressed and go door to door looking for one.

• RMweb Premium

I know, wasn’t that the one that came out weathered for Kernow ?

Please don’t tell me some hit the streets pristine.. i’ll Have to get dressed and go door to door looking for one.

Only released as the KMRC weathered commission but it's possible one or two EPs and colour samples exist without the grime.

• RMweb Premium

I used Precision Labels too.  I was just too scared that I would damage the loco taking it apart.  They look more than acceptable from a normal viewing distance.

For that reason, I used the Precision Labels that are self-adhesive so can be stuck on the outside. They look fine to me.

Just saw those prices in time (they're down to their last few blue ones). I already had a Kernow weathered one but definitely need two more for realistic operations at Carrbridge, right?

Right! :)

This is where an amusing situation started. Musicians call it GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome. The first Western (Ruler) started a flood. It was so good I hed to check out Dapol's class 22. Also marvellous, but they ran a lot in pairs. Now it's beginning to look a little like the Western Region, but really can't have a Western and baby Warships without other Hydraulics.

Enter One of Heljan's finest models to date. What colour would I like my Hymek? Oh, they double head too - one blue one GFYP, hard to justify GSYP... for now. just about to leave with said Hymeks and a little centre cab green thing catches my eye, not really part of my plans but I'd always wanted a class 14... ho hum.

Resistance was again futile over the weekend - Rails' £89.50 was too good to miss so 2 more Westerns are on the way (soon to become Thunderer and Driud). Even more realism.

Add this to the class 50s that overcame my reaistance and a few early named 47s and all I still need for truely Realistic Highland Main Line operations is an NBL Warship and Kernow's D600. Perfect for a mid - late 80s model of Carrbridge, in a basement in Ohio.

Undisciplined, I know, but it makes a great change to the colorful ScotRail class 47s and type 2s that normally ply their trade.

Edited by PoshPaws
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just as a small glimmer of hope Hymeks were not routinely paired as were the 22s and Warships. They occasionally ran in tandem but that was definitely the exception rather than the rule

Anything you might save on Hymeks (lovely though they are) can always be spent on Westerns ;)

Just as a small glimmer of hope Hymeks were not routinely paired as were the 22s and Warships. They occasionally ran in tandem but that was definitely the exception rather than the rule

Anything you might save on Hymeks (lovely though they are) can always be spent on Westerns ;)

Ah, already have 2, but if I'm not the winning bidder on an AEM-7 on eBay ithen Trooper will join the layout too. Wonder how a big Scottie would look under that nameplate. Just joking, put away those pitchforks. Edited by PoshPaws

Don’t forget the solitary Class 53, Falcon, the diesel electric sent to the Western Region because its engines were the same as the Westerns’. In railway modelling, it was the model which showed that there was a market for models of one-off prototypes and led to great things. I’m inclined to think that the significance of that model is overlooked.

Don’t forget the solitary Class 53, Falcon, the diesel electric sent to the Western Region because its engines were the same as the Westerns’. In railway modelling, it was the model which showed that there was a market for models of one-off prototypes and led to great things. I’m inclined to think that the significance of that model is overlooked.

Don't do that to me... lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

2019 seems sensible - there are still plenty of the current versions around in shops that still need to be sold. I see someone is asking for D1015 Western Champion in maroon as preserved, which I would expect to be a good seller. Hopefully if Dapol does produce it they will remember it needs to have the Talisman clips...