Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, D1051 said:

Indeed typo Phil. Maybe they could have a bit of "ambassador" for the launch in the shop ?

Think thats you Mr P! But I didnt want you running the Gauntlet of Harriers as you are a Stalwart Envoy....

Phil

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

The Maroon variant DC and DCC is in stock at both Kernow and Hattons for all interested parties.

I was going to say I was disappointed to see the windscreen pillars are incorrectly maroon but then saw Hattons has them in grey. Unfortunately Hattons seem to have used an old photo - both Rails and Cheltenham Model Centre show they are maroon. In fact CMC said (on FB) they had pointed out this error to Dapol but they have chosen not to correct. Presumably this will afflict all of this batch incl the CMC Ltd Editions.  Seems a shame that Dapol have chosen to compromise this otherwise excellent model for sake of a 'hapworth of tar'. Put it this way, I dont need  another Western but I was tempted - that money will probably stay in my pocket now or go elsewhere.

Edited by MikeParkin65
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 26/06/2019 at 23:18, MikeParkin65 said:

I was going to say I was disappointed to see the windscreen pillars are incorrectly maroon but then saw Hattons has them in grey. Unfortunately Hattons seem to have used an old photo - both Rails and Cheltenham Model Centre show they are maroon. In fact CMC said (on FB) they had pointed out this error to Dapol but they have chosen not to correct. Presumably this will afflict all of this batch incl the CMC Ltd Editions.  Seems a shame that Dapol have chosen to compromise this otherwise excellent model for sake of a 'hapworth of tar'. Put it this way, I dont need  another Western but I was tempted - that money will probably stay in my pocket now or go elsewhere.

I've just ordered one of these, does it pass muster ?

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/35863/Dapol-4d-003-014-oo-gauge-western-harrier-class-52-br-maroon-yellow-buffer-beam-d1008

1.jpg.jpg.1e2eafbe375626b69154b06870e94fa1.jpg

Not that I care to much I just like the shape

Edited by maico
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, maico said:

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/35863/Dapol-4d-003-014-oo-gauge-western-harrier-class-52-br-maroon-yellow-buffer-beam-d1008

My D1008 'WESTERN HARRIER' arrived today from Kernow.

It was minus the name and numberplates - not Kernow's fault, and the missing items are to be put in the post today. A lovely model, as were the first release ones.

Fitting the details is fiddly and time-consuming, but well worth the effort.

The cab steps, if fitted to the body, will inhibit running on anything less than straight track. I took the pragmatic approach; removed the fixing lugs, and attached the steps to the bogies.

Similarly, fitting the various hoses to the bufferbeam will cause problems with autocouplers on bends. I drilled the square fixing holes out to 1 mm. diameter, which allowed me to fit the hoses at around 45 degrees, thus missing the couplers.

Finally, and IMHO essential, a coat of Klear transforms the body finish from dull and drab to 'ex-works a week ago' / 'just been through the carriage washer'.

A worthy shedmate for 'WESTERN ENTERPRISE'.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 26/06/2019 at 23:18, MikeParkin65 said:

It doesn't have maroon window pillars. Correctly, it has silver-grey ones.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

21 hours ago, maico said:

Looks very nice that - pedant mode on for a mo though, the way they've painted the lip of the bufferbeam area yellow only makes it accurate for a small number of locos - see my Western Liveries links below for loco numbers affected ;).

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 hours ago, cctransuk said:

It was minus the name and numberplates - not Kernow's fault, and the missing items are to be put in the post today.

Whose fault was it? The only reason that I ask is that I'm contemplating one of these. but, living abroad, I'd probably want to alert the retailer.

• RMweb Premium

A missing item which should have been in the box but as not would be the fault of the factory.  They are responsible for ensuring all the "bits" go in the box.  It would be extremely uncommon to have something like this missing so purchasers should be reassured that it is most unlikely to happen to them.

4 hours ago, truffy said:

Whose fault was it? The only reason that I ask is that I'm contemplating one of these. but, living abroad, I'd probably want to alert the retailer.

The factory's fault - the missing items arrived from Kernow this morning and have now been fitted.

Full marks to Kernow!

Regards,

John Isherwood,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Looks very nice that - pedant mode on for a mo though, the way they've painted the lip of the bufferbeam area yellow only makes it accurate for a small number of locos - see my Western Liveries links below for loco numbers affected ;).

I wonder if this is deliberate so as not to diminish the ‘Limited Edition’ status of the Lord &Butler version of the same from the first production batch?

On 01/08/2019 at 11:29, Rugd1022 said:

HL4787-D1062_29249235993_o.jpg

colour-rail-slide-de-1680-of-d1006-br-class-52-western-diesel-hydraulic-loco.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

A lot of things been said elsewhere about Dave Jones and the demise of DJModels but I for one am grateful for what he did to bring the Dapol Western to the market – as good a RTR model as I have ever owned.

A bit more thought would have made it better - not sure what looks worse, the gaps in the roof for the lifting eyes when not fitted or the lifting eyes having a few missing and others at an angle. Tried gluing some in place with varnish but far too fragile if touched accidentally. It would have been quite simple to make the gaps extend through the body and the lifting eyes longer so that they would pass through the body, be folded back under the roof and glued in place inside the body. Really as supplied a detail too far IMO.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

A bit more thought would have made it better - not sure what looks worse, the gaps in the roof for the lifting eyes when not fitted or the lifting eyes having a few missing and others at an angle. Tried gluing some in place with varnish but far too fragile if touched accidentally. It would have been quite simple to make the gaps extend through the body and the lifting eyes longer so that they would pass through the body, be folded back under the roof and glued in place inside the body. Really as supplied a detail too far IMO.

Have you tried fitting the plastic ones that come with the Bachmann class 43?

On 01/08/2019 at 21:43, Gwiwer said:

A missing item which should have been in the box but as not would be the fault of the factory.  They are responsible for ensuring all the "bits" go in the box.  It would be extremely uncommon to have something like this missing so purchasers should be reassured that it is most unlikely to happen to them.

Just bought Dapol Western Gladiator from Hattons and took delivery yesterday only to find the nameplates and numberplates missing.......made a call to Hattons and they are now on the way however it seems this issue is more widespread and I suspect the names plates have been supplied to the Reseller separately but nobody has caught on !....... lovely model BTW.

• Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, Hound Dog said:

Just bought Dapol Western Gladiator from Hattons and took delivery yesterday only to find the nameplates and numberplates missing.......made a call to Hattons and they are now on the way however it seems this issue is more widespread and I suspect the names plates have been supplied to the Reseller separately but nobody has caught on !....... lovely model BTW.

Missing nameplates etc arrived this morning so good recovery by Hattons....... noticed they are branded “Extreme Etchings”, so clearly outsourced by Dapol and the disconnect is that somebody ( Dapol or Reseller) need to put them in the box........ in the end no harm done and both loco and nameplates look fab.

thanks2FA1F478-15C4-4E0C-83C2-D60C331FFF26.jpeg.b4aaa9953ce36dfc8b88b2cb1c65cd47.jpeg

• Like 2

On 02/08/2019 at 15:18, MikeParkin65 said:

A lot of things been said elsewhere about Dave Jones and the demise of DJModels but I for one am grateful for what he did to bring the Dapol Western to the market – as good a RTR model as I have ever owned.

Here he is in happier times...31sa06rail_v02.jpg.gallery.jpg.de68a3628a6e7296913322eb5d1f9e4a.jpg

• Like 2