Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

11 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Cheltenham Model Centre doing their limited editions for £140 at the moment - good value considering they have the lifting rings and plates ready fitted :)

Thanks Mile, I hadn't seen those - luckily the Golden Ochre Champion is the wrong gauge for me so my wallet is safe - if it was 'OO' it would have been taking an instant £140 beating haha.

Cheers,

Edited by 60800
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello. 

I'm planning to buy a OO Dapol Western. I want sound and I'd like to get the factory fitted sound fitted version but would prefer to have seen a demo video of the OO Dapol Western Class 52 Factory Fitted Sound to finally convince me it's the right way to go for me and my ears.  

I've googled & searched YouTube for a while now but only seem to find video demos of separately purchased and fitted sounds from 3rd party suppliers fitted in the Dapol Western Class 52s. Here on and RMWeb I've found many opinions offered mostly on 3rd party sound but but not much on the Factory Fitted version. Since sound can be such a personal preference thing I'd really like to see a demo video of the Dapol Western Class 52 Factory Fitted Sound before I decide.

I was wondering if anyone has a demo video of the Dapol Western Class 52 Factory Fitted Sounds in action (including under load and at speed if possible but not essential) that they can share? Or if anyone knows of such a video available on the web and can share the link with me?

I'll be buying from the other side of the globe (well almost), so getting a good preview look and listen before buying at a show of model shop is not possible and is only possible for me via online content. If due to personal preference I'm disappointed with the purchase, returning it for a refund (as offered by most online shops) is impossible due to the costs involved. So getting the choice / decision right is a must for me.

I'd be very grateful if anyone is able to help me out with this in some way.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to model the high intensity headlight in the headcode box of D1015? Just leaving the panel empty looks a bit naff.

Just starting work on a new preservation/mainline modelling project of D1015.

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, cRaZy CrAnKy said:

Hello. 

I'm planning to buy a OO Dapol Western. I want sound and I'd like to get the factory fitted sound fitted version but would prefer to have seen a demo video of the OO Dapol Western Class 52 Factory Fitted Sound to finally convince me it's the right way to go for me and my ears.  

I've googled & searched YouTube for a while now but only seem to find video demos of separately purchased and fitted sounds from 3rd party suppliers fitted in the Dapol Western Class 52s. Here on and RMWeb I've found many opinions offered mostly on 3rd party sound but but not much on the Factory Fitted version. Since sound can be such a personal preference thing I'd really like to see a demo video of the Dapol Western Class 52 Factory Fitted Sound before I decide.

I was wondering if anyone has a demo video of the Dapol Western Class 52 Factory Fitted Sounds in action (including under load and at speed if possible but not essential) that they can share? Or if anyone knows of such a video available on the web and can share the link with me?

I'll be buying from the other side of the globe (well almost), so getting a good preview look and listen before buying at a show of model shop is not possible and is only possible for me via online content. If due to personal preference I'm disappointed with the purchase, returning it for a refund (as offered by most online shops) is impossible due to the costs involved. So getting the choice / decision right is a must for me.

Hmm - does the lack of a video say something perhaps - what are your issues with after market fitting?

• RMweb Gold
On 07/03/2021 at 13:35, G-BOAF said:

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to model the high intensity headlight in the headcode box of D1015? Just leaving the panel empty looks a bit naff.

Just starting work on a new preservation/mainline modelling project of D1015.

It is what it is...

maybe use half of one of the “spots” thats on the transfer sheet, and a small dab of black at the top / bottom of the other half of the headcode box just to reduce the intensity a little ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

On 07/03/2021 at 15:53, Phil Bullock said:

Hmm - does the lack of a video say something perhaps - what are your issues with after market fitting?

Not the skills fortunately. 

Cost mostly. When converting GBP to ZAR + customs fees x 2 packages. Factory fitted works out the most cost effective. 

Oh and then there is the matter of the Customs authorities that only allow a citizen to import 2 packages from abroad per year as a private citizen. If I want to import more the 2 per year I need an import license- only they do not issue import licenses to private citizens- only to registered activite companies. Registering a company and the overhead of yearly financials etc just to get an import license to feed my hobby purchases is way too much overkill. Being a family of 2 I'm limited to 4 packages per year if I import 2 in my wife's name - so keeping the number of packages to a minimum is needed. I think I've just got 1 more allowed import left for the rest of 2021 :o

A third concern is getting the right "decoder/sound files/best speaker that will fit" combination from 1 provider for my prefered choice (least amount of import packages again).

If I could get a good preview before buying I can decide what the compromises that I will have to live with and if Im happy to live with them. With the above mentioned challenges around cost and  shipping, not getting a preview might push me to decide I must just forget the idea of having a sound fitted Western :cry:

2 hours ago, cRaZy CrAnKy said:

Not the skills fortunately. 

Cost mostly. When converting GBP to ZAR + customs fees x 2 packages. Factory fitted works out the most cost effective. 

Oh and then there is the matter of the Customs authorities that only allow a citizen to import 2 packages from abroad per year as a private citizen. If I want to import more the 2 per year I need an import license- only they do not issue import licenses to private citizens- only to registered activite companies. Registering a company and the overhead of yearly financials etc just to get an import license to feed my hobby purchases is way too much overkill. Being a family of 2 I'm limited to 4 packages per year if I import 2 in my wife's name - so keeping the number of packages to a minimum is needed. I think I've just got 1 more allowed import left for the rest of 2021 :o

A third concern is getting the right "decoder/sound files/best speaker that will fit" combination from 1 provider for my prefered choice (least amount of import packages again).

If I could get a good preview before buying I can decide what the compromises that I will have to live with and if Im happy to live with them. With the above mentioned challenges around cost and  shipping, not getting a preview might push me to decide I must just forget the idea of having a sound fitted Western :cry:

just a suggestion here.

do you not have a friend here who could sort out the fitting of one and sending you a western with a sound chip fitted. one parcel im sure a model shop could help.

• Agree 1

Can anyone advise on colour matches for the Dapol livery, specifically:

colour of yellow ends (mine has a couple of chips on the headcode boxes)

colour of grey window pillars (converting D1023 to D1015 as per late 2000s and it has grey rather than maroon window pillars).

Railmatch or Phoenix colour numbers preferred if possible.

Cheers

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Can anyone advise on colour matches for the Dapol livery, specifically:

colour of yellow ends (mine has a couple of chips on the headcode boxes)

colour of grey window pillars (converting D1023 to D1015 as per late 2000s and it has grey rather than maroon window pillars).

Railmatch or Phoenix colour numbers preferred if possible.

Cheers

Sorry can’t help but if you are repainting the yellow ends, why not use a more accurate colour instead of Dapol’s washed out version?

34 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Sorry can’t help but if you are repainting the yellow ends, why not use a more accurate colour instead of Dapol’s washed out version?

Its only the yellow pannel, and I don't think I could get the radius of the corner correct, hence my desire for a touch up...

On 06/03/2021 at 18:22, cRaZy CrAnKy said:

Hello. 

Bit late and maybe not very helpful but here is a video of my factory sound fitted Dapol Western. Start up, slow running, horns and flange squeal but better than nothing. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...

Does anyone here have one of the Cheltenham Model Centre limited edition Westerns in BR maroon sye ? 

Today I took delivery of Western Enterprise,  and immediately noticed many imperfections, such as glue marks, scratches, badly fitted nameplates, black marks on bodywork etc.    Just wondering if these imperfections are common, as I don't know whether to go for a refund or risk a replacement.

I spoke to a rather rude individual at CMC who told me that the imperfections are Dapol's fault, and that "all models have flaws."      Quite disappointed in both model and retailer.  

• RMweb Gold

Don't have one myself, but they are selling them through ebay on this listing, which is at least a guide to how they can look.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402585433102?epid=6040552797&hash=item5dbbf6340e%3Ag%3AvPwAAOSwlxFfxjLO&LH_BIN=1

Standard catalogue items are supplied by Dapol without names, numbers and roof details applied, so I would suspect these parts will quite likely have been fitted by the shop, despite what the individual said. The replacement may be to a better standard, or conceivably worse...

I did buy one of the few weathered models that Dapol produced, and all parts were applied to a very good standard before weathering.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DrStroganoff said:

Does anyone here have one of the Cheltenham Model Centre limited edition Westerns in BR maroon sye ? 

Today I took delivery of Western Enterprise,  and immediately noticed many imperfections, such as glue marks, scratches, badly fitted nameplates, black marks on bodywork etc.    Just wondering if these imperfections are common, as I don't know whether to go for a refund or risk a replacement.

I spoke to a rather rude individual at CMC who told me that the imperfections are Dapol's fault, and that "all models have flaws."      Quite disappointed in both model and retailer.  

Perhaps one that has been returned and recycled.  I'm suspicious sometimes.  If you are not happy, return it.  It will only annoy you in future.

Peterfgf

• Agree 5

15 hours ago, DrStroganoff said:

I have one but I can't say that I've noticed any imperfections like you describe. Maybe I should have a closer look because since I bought it I've only had it out of the box a couple of times.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I have a Western Enterprise in my display cabinet purchased when they were first available and there are no imperfections. The additional items including nameplates have been fitted to an extremely high standard.

Matt

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Hello all,

I just recently purchased and received my Dapol OO Western King from Cheltenham Models for a really good price. One thing I did not know, that has now screwed me, is that two of the three exclusive BR maroon 52's have the experimental wipers, which one of them is Western King, the one I bought. (EDIT: I’ve read that the third exclusive for Cheltenham has additional vents and extra etched BR plate). Not saying the model is wrong, just my mistake. It is a beautiful model and having all those small parts on top fitted already is a godsend. The plan was for this model, was to rename into Western Champion in its preservation form (I know she is currently in Chromatic Blue as of 2021)

The front glazing seems to be one piece that can be pushed inwards to pop out. Wipers are separately fitted. 

I am wondering if the cab glazing is (or was) available to purchase? I know I can find the wipers on DCC Supplies. (I've tried searching the topic, but all I get is the headcode glazing issues)

I have not emailed them about said glazing, yet, as I wanted everyone's expertise first.

Thank you! 

image.png.796c9f8f5eab34fb79d18cbe042135de.png

Edited by Ribird

8 hours ago, Ribird said:

I am wondering if the cab glazing is (or was) available to purchase?

image.png.796c9f8f5eab34fb79d18cbe042135de.png

As a last resort, carefully scrape off the moulded rotary wipers with a new, curved scalpel blade; polish the affected areas with 1200 grit wet-and-dry paper; then apply a coat of Klear.

The result should be unmarked, clear glazing.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

As a last resort, carefully scrape off the moulded rotary wipers with a new, curved scalpel blade; polish the affected areas with 1200 grit wet-and-dry paper; then apply a coat of Klear.

The result should be unmarked, clear glazing.

CJI.

Takes me back to my Lima days John!

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon.

Yes King and Stalwart from CMC are both limited editions with the rotary pattern wipers .

As you say wipers are available from DCC supplies - Had some myself within the last month. Pretty sure glazing is too but web site appears to be down this morning. Give them a call if it doesn’t come back up they are always helpful and as you say the existing glazing will push out…. You may find you need to take the cab side windows out too to release the front screens.

it’s a minor point but do you know there are 2 Dapol western body mouldings? One has the original style battery box door clips, the other the post 1973 clips. Champion in preservation has the later style clips whereas this model will have the early style. It’s a minor point that may not bother you.

Cheers 

Phil

• Informative/Useful 2