Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

Hi everyone,

I have finished the cad/cam with the engineer today, and all I now need to do is put it on my laptop , save the bitmap pics, convert to Jpeg and upload here.

So, as I'm off for a pint and noodles out here in about 20 mins, I'll post the latest and hopefully last pics here tomorrow morning, that's about 01.00 Saturday morning UK time.

Please take a few minutes to take a look and let me know if you think this is "it" and I can authorise metal cutting on Monday?

Cheers

Dave

A Pint and Noodles in Hong Kong? Enjoy!!!!

Regards

Mark Humphrys

I'd settle for a pint and a Pot Noodle right now.

I know it has been said before but Dave's last post has really brought this one home to me. The manufacturer has just asked his customers if they are happy for him to approve production of the model.

Mind-boggling (in a good way).

• Like 7

Ah, the best laid plans and all that, sorry guys.

The cad/cam file was 18mb and HK restrictions limited me to 8mb for some reason.

Am UK bound now and will post picks after I land before I drag my jet lagged old frame to bed on Monday.

Sorry for getting your hopes up.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't feel any need to be apologetic Dave. After all the work you have put in and all of the interaction with us here I reckon you owe none of us an apology! On the contrary there might be one or two among us who feel morally obliged to apologise to you for not purchasing a Western! ;)

• Like 3

I have been watching this thread with interest over the last 12 months or so.

I'm stunned by the level of client interface to get the detailing perfect - which it now is.

A couple of questions now for Dapol Dave...

I display my locos, coaches & wagons. Are there any plans for Dapol to release a 'dummy' class 52 in the pipeline?

Would it be sensibly priced? I feel £50+ for a non-powered loco would be extracting the proverbial.

Whilst getting the external detailing perfect, what sort of internal motor will Dapol be using?

Will it outperform a Heljan Western? One of my Heljan Wessies has hauled 60 Mk.3 coaches comfortably round a large club layout!

BTW, I've got 50+ Heljan class 52's that would require replacing!

Hi D1032,

Great load of questions,

i'll try and answer them all for you.

There are no plans to produce a dummy Class 52 in OO or N gauge or even larger ;-)

The Motor will be the tried and tested new Dapol motor, which i personally designed for the B gauge range (named 'super creep' due to its silly slow speed). This is the same motor as used in the Dapol class 22, and the Hattons 10000/10001 models.

Will it outperform a Heljan? Well its too early to say, but apart from a little extra noise on the 22 (which i'm working on) it should be on a par. Having said that i do like the Heljan models with their running ability.

Now, i'm biased, but replacing 50+ Heljan models? all i can say here is vote with your thoughts on looks. I suppose if you want an accurate looking one........................ :locomotive:

I better stop now as i'm entering dangerous territory i'd rather others on here entered rather than me.

cheers

Dave

• Like 1

That and the fact Heljan Westerns are easy to come by and by all accounts the Dapol models will be like hens teeth quite quickly after release.

Not sure where this "rare as hen's teeth" is coming from, you can still buy the Class 22 from a couple of major retailers, and the Hatton's 10000/10001 is still available in those liveries that have been delivered...

I will agree that the Heljan Western's will become even more readily available, I have some untouched models that are going to get flogged to the highest bidder, I suspect I'm not alone in that regard.

Edited by Pete Piszczek

Hi D1032,

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your reply, I wasn't expecting it quite so quickly!

Great load of questions,

i'll try and answer them all for you.

There are no plans to produce a dummy Class 52 in OO or N gauge or even larger ;-)

That's a real shame because I feel there is definitely a market out there for people like me who display their models & modellers who wish to run double headers and depict multiple light engine movements etc. My ultimate aim is to have one of all the 74 Westerns in every livery variation they have ever carried. Oh, and then there's the weathering variation to consider... 400+ models?

The Motor will be the tried and tested new Dapol motor, which i personally designed for the B gauge range (named 'super creep' due to its silly slow speed). This is the same motor as used in the Dapol class 22, and the Hattons 10000/10001 models.

Will it outperform a Heljan? Well its too early to say, but apart from a little extra noise on the 22 (which i'm working on) it should be on a par. Having said that i do like the Heljan models with their running ability.

That's the reason why I asked about the quality of the motor. If I ever come to sell any of my Dapol Wessies (I know I'm going to go for them), then I need to be confident that their second hand value won't be akin to a Volvo.

Now, i'm biased, but replacing 50+ Heljan models? all i can say here is vote with your thoughts on looks. I suppose if you want an accurate looking one........................ :locomotive:

Dave, you've hit the nail smack on the head there. I've seen your CAD Masters & with the assistance from the Wessy gurus on this forum, I'm sold on what you've managed to achieve with the external detailing. I'm a self-confessed perfectionist & I'm really happy with my Heljan Wessies. However, it now looks like you've achieved perfection, so it's time to bite the bullet & upgrade to the best product available. Is there any chance that you could update us with any pre-production photos of the models themselves?

I wonder if anyone will be interested in 50 Heljan Wessies?

I better stop now as i'm entering dangerous territory i'd rather others on here entered rather than me.

cheers

Dave

Once again, many thanks for your lightning quick reply.

Cheers,

Ian.

Not sure where this "rare as hen's teeth" is coming from, you can still buy the Class 22 from a couple of major retailers, and the Hatton's 10000/10001 is still available in those liveries that have been delivered...

I will agree that the Heljan Western's will become even more readily available, I have some untouched models that are going to get flogged to the highest bidder, I suspect I'm not alone in that regard.

Hi Pete,

Totally agree.........it's picking up these comments and repeating them that can hurt a models rep even before it's been produced.

Nothing I have said or I think that Dapol have done have indicated that they will be "as rare as hen's teeth", so I'm not sure where this has been picked up.

Sorry Woodenhead, you've been led up a proverbial on this.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

Will it outperform a Heljan Western? One of my Heljan Wessies has hauled 60 Mk.3 coaches comfortably round a large club layout!

I doubt that performance ability exceeding that of the prototype will be high on most peoples priority lists.

:unsure_mini:

" I'm a self-confessed perfectionist & I'm really happy with my Heljan Wessies."

That's the best contradiction in terms I've read for ages! :mocking_mini:

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Totally agree.........it's picking up these comments and repeating them that can hurt a models rep even before it's been produced.

Nothing I have said or I think that Dapol have done have indicated that they will be "as rare as hen's teeth", so I'm not sure where this has been picked up.

Hi Dave

Unfortunately I don't think it is an isolated comment - I heard the same thing over the weekend ie that a retailer had had difficulty getting hold of stocks of 22s.

Cheers, Mike

Hi Pete,

Sorry Woodenhead, you've been led up a proverbial on this.

Cheers

Dave

Sorry guys, misunderstanding, I was trying to intimate that the Dapol version will be so popular that they will likely sell out quickly not that there won't be many.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Never quite understand this sort of statement. Why do you want to haul 60 coaches? Will you be disapointed if it will only pull 40?

Jerry

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

My Heljan ones will happily haul an official maximum load 16 around the layout and I have every confidence in the Dapol ones matching that. Even if they don't and can only manage perhaps 10 they will still be pulling full length trains which is a privilege I enjoy with a large layout space. That's all I can ask. They don't need to be Herculean, just suitably representative.

• Like 4

I doubt that performance ability exceeding that of the prototype will be high on most peoples priority lists.

:unsure_mini:

" I'm a self-confessed perfectionist & I'm really happy with my Heljan Wessies."

That's the best contradiction in terms I've read for ages! :mocking_mini:

The test we performed was purely a one off to ascertain just what a Heljan Western IS capable of.

I reckon it would have pulled 70-80 coaches with relative ease!

What I thought that you could have worked out for yourself is, like it or not, the Heljan Western is by far the best model of a Class 52 that's available now. The quality of the Heljan internals speak volumes. I concede that the detailing packs included are rubbish & not as per prototype.

However, reiterating myself, it IS by far the best model of a class 52 that's been produced so far.

I wonder if you would be brave enough to repeat your sarcastic comment to my face?

Cheers,

Ian.

Never quite understand this sort of statement. Why do you want to haul 60 coaches? Will you be disapointed if it will only pull 40?

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your reply. I've just replied to another post on the forum, so now on to yours...

The test was performed solely as a one off to ascertain the quality of the Heljan internals. It performed faultlessly!

As I stated in one of my previous posts, I display my models. So in answer to your question, no, I couldn't give a monkeys how many coaches or wagons it will haul. What I do care about is the overall quality of the product that I'm paying lots of money for. From what is available now, the Heljan Western ticks most of the boxes. It's only the minor detailing discrepancies to the prototype & the detailing pack that lets it down. I am more than happy to tolerate that at the moment. That's why I've brought 50+ of them.

Cheers,

Ian.

Ah, the best laid plans and all that, sorry guys. The cad/cam file was 18mb and HK restrictions limited me to 8mb for some reason. Am UK bound now and will post picks after I land before I drag my jet lagged old frame to bed on Monday. Sorry for getting your hopes up. Cheers Dave

Hi Dave,

any news on the latest Cad/Cam pictures,

cheers.

Hi Tromans,

Just as you were typing the mail above i received the cad/cam from China.

And here it is. However please note that i have only shown the original battery box clip version here, although both it, and the NEM coupler and removable valance are on the other.

So chaps, final thoughts please? :locomotive:

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-10161700-1330947244_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-40545800-1330947271_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-72841900-1330947291_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-28244600-1330947313_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-96140700-1330947332_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-84858800-1330947354_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-43241300-1330947377_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-55458300-1330947394_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-51601300-1330947417_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-41176100-1330947442_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-79290700-1330947470_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-46957900-1330947493_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

YES.

It won't affect the design work but how easily would the body come away to fit the crew? Maybe I missed something farther back but are we talking clips / screws or other means?