Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

Hi,

As you can imagine, getting items made before Chinese New Year is fraught with problems, and things get moved around a bit.

I know they are pushing on getting the Westernsmentioned in my earlier mail built and finished and shipped before CNY,

The weathered ones, the WLA one and The Lord and Butler one will be subject to getting deco samples produced and accepted before production, hence the delay.

As for which maroon? I got a Heljan Western and used that for an exact colour match.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

"CNY" ? Chinese New Year?

As you can imagine, getting items made before Chinese New Year is fraught with problems, and things get moved around a bit.

I know they are pushing on getting the Westerns mentioned in my earlier mail built and finished and shipped before CNY,

Hope they don't put any of those jumping jack fire crackers in the Westerns as they leave China!  That would definitely make them "Whizzos" ;)

• RMweb Premium

D1075 'Western Firecracker'!

That aptly describes D1011 "Western Thunderer" which, upon the only known occasion it was rostered to haul the family anywhere, completely failed to thunder at all and spat oil and sparks all over Penzance station before sitting firmly down and requiring us to seek out a bus to the chosen destination.  

• 3 weeks later...

Just..... WOW!

Geoff is right about the reporting numbers in the headcode panels though - they're a touch too small but it's easily fixable and thankfully the font looks right for starters, other than that - see my first line above!

I know I've made this point countless times before when new models appear, but in the case of BR diesel locos the way they 'sit' on their bogies is often what makes them look like big, solid, heavy pieces of kit... Dave and team, once again you've got it bang on in model form. The Westerns had an elegance about them which was all their own, but see one close up and you can see how big and heavy they are, and they seem to squat down on their bogies hugging the running rails, something which is emphasised by the presence of the all round skirting... Dapol have captured this to a tee.... just think back to all those models which had acres of daylight visible between the body and chassis parts... I say again, well done Dapol!

(Inevitably, someone is bound to say 'can we have a D8xx Warship now please Dave?' somewhere in this thread so I thought I'd best get it in quick ;) ).

Superb.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Very nice and it bodes well for when the GWR railcar comes along.

Whats the haulage capacity like Andy ? Get TW to run it on Little Bytham. :mosking:

Its 12 Bachman mk1 coaches then I've just read.

Didn't read the review properly !

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 3

Lets just say a western is so far removed from the yorkshire I model, you would more likely see somethiing yank shaped. But having seen the model, even I am weakening. That is just superb.

As to it being model of the year 2013, it depends on what they release later.

I`ll go now, saying in my best 7  of 9 voice "resistance is futile".