Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Crepello said:

Agreed great weathering but I always thought Westerns had black buffer shanks (if that's the right term) rather than silver as the Oleo type. (Only trying to help!)

The silver bit in the photos above is the part that retracts when the buffers are compressed. It's representing shiny metal.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, miles73128 said:

May I ask anybody that has a model from the latest batch a question please? I’m keen on the “chromatic” blue, but my existing Dapol Western, Cavalier, makes a racket with a nosy motor. 

Are they quieter, with this batch? My recent Dapol class 73 is silent! 

Regards 

My D1002 is no louder or quieter than my 2 earlier versions. Noisier than a Bachmann or Heljan model but not obtrusively so. 

• RMweb Gold

We could not resist another Wizzo.... my Lords, here (s)he is...

Booked for 1Z20 special to Bulmers Hereford and 8V85 Tees Yard to Severn Tunnel Junction - she would have dropped on to that at Washwood Heath. Having explored other sound options we have gone back to plan 1 - Howes sound and base reflex speaker

6A471D6C-7E53-447F-9C35-1995CD398A40.jpeg

62F42E35-E217-4F45-B18D-2C7562421E73.jpeg

2929CFEE-1252-42CB-A6D4-817937873A24.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I bought a 4mm version from the latest batch and want to fit the headcodes and nameplates but have a couple of questions.

The instructions say that the headcodes are 'self-adhesive' but I'm blowed if I can peel off the headcodes from the backing paper. Are they really self-adhesive? Looking at the pictures on the previous page of this thread, it appears the headcodes are fitted behind the clear plastic. 

For the plates, the loco has dotted lines on each side which presumably act as fitting guides but do you line up the dotted lines with the top, middle or bottom of the plates. The instructions are silent on this point.

Thanks in advance

Graham 

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, dagrizz said:

The instructions say that the headcodes are 'self-adhesive' but I'm blowed if I can peel off the headcodes from the backing paper

They're definitely not self-adhesive. The dotted lines mark the centre line of the plates.

I covered some of the detail fitting whilst reviewing Locomotion's exclusive edition - https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/techniques/detailing-the-dapol-western/ - there may be some guidance points in there.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

They're definitely not self-adhesive. The dotted lines mark the centre line of the plates.

I covered some of the detail fitting whilst reviewing Locomotion's exclusive edition - https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/techniques/detailing-the-Dapol-western/ - there may be some guidance points in there.

The original headcodes as supplied with the 22s were self-adhesive and intended to be stuck outside the glazing.  The shiny surface was supposed to look like a glass cover-plate but (to my eyes) didn't do anything of the sort.  I wonder if the early 52s had the same or whether Dapol has simply reprinted the instructions without updating them.  All mine have the headcodes internally behind the glazing which is a tricky fitting process but looks much better.  See also Andy's link posted above.  

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice. 

I first tried to fit the headcodes inside but gave up, it's quite a faff. So I stuck them on the outside with PVA. They don't look too bad from normal viewing distance on a layout.

hc1.jpg.02ce59a87bb4ea9165b0c969ec83da02.jpg

But don't look so good on close scrutiny.

hc2.jpg.832808d88a52c205c36ff1e787fd2ff0.jpg

I'm going to leave them be for now; if they bug me I can always try again.

The numberplates and nameplates were fitted OK except that this loco is Western Duke - a short name - so short that the plate does not cover the line of dots used as a location guide.

plate.jpg.c48987e4da0a660831f3679fe1d0c864.jpg

You can see one dot to the left of the plate and two dots on the right. If you didn't know about it, you probably wouldn't spot it from normal viewing distance, but once you know it's there …………….  

I find all this very frustrating because otherwise it's a super looking loco and it runs a treat. With all the agonizing that goes on nowadays about this detail and that detail, I can't help feeling some of the basics are being overlooked. When I look at a loco, I first look at the 'face' and the headcodes are a very prominent feature. Why are tatty little bits of paper considered to be a match for the quality of the rest of the model?

Graham 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Feel the same about the face... it is worth the faff to get the headcodes inside the glazing...

Also have same issue with D1047’s nameplates but you can’t see dots once weathered....

F1BBB77E-E216-4A61-8C4E-DDDB06DFE2B2.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 31/03/2020 at 19:07, dagrizz said:

Thanks for the advice. 

I first tried to fit the headcodes inside but gave up, it's quite a faff. So I stuck them on the outside with PVA. They don't look too bad from normal viewing distance on a layout.

hc1.jpg.02ce59a87bb4ea9165b0c969ec83da02.jpg

But don't look so good on close scrutiny.

hc2.jpg.832808d88a52c205c36ff1e787fd2ff0.jpg

I'm going to leave them be for now; if they bug me I can always try again.

The numberplates and nameplates were fitted OK except that this loco is Western Duke - a short name - so short that the plate does not cover the line of dots used as a location guide.

plate.jpg.c48987e4da0a660831f3679fe1d0c864.jpg

You can see one dot to the left of the plate and two dots on the right. If you didn't know about it, you probably wouldn't spot it from normal viewing distance, but once you know it's there …………….  

I find all this very frustrating because otherwise it's a super looking loco and it runs a treat. With all the agonizing that goes on nowadays about this detail and that detail, I can't help feeling some of the basics are being overlooked. When I look at a loco, I first look at the 'face' and the headcodes are a very prominent feature. Why are tatty little bits of paper considered to be a match for the quality of the rest of the model?

Graham 

Wow! Really? (The nameplate dots)  I was just about to get one of these. But no more. Thanks very much for this. Crazy. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, miles73128 said:

Wow! Really? (The nameplate dots)  I was just about to get one of these. But no more. Thanks very much for this. Crazy. 

You could always go for a maroon version from Cheltenham Models, they fit the number and name plates, leaving only the head codes to be fitted (yes, they are a pain).

10 minutes ago, Francis deWeck said:

You could always go for a maroon version from Cheltenham Models, they fit the number and name plates, leaving only the head codes to be fitted (yes, they are a pain).

Yes, thanks. But it was the Blue Syp I wanted. Shame

7 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Not wishing to open up old subjects.

ISTR that there's an issue with the aperture sizes, did it get mentioned eons ago on this thread?

My Westerns are in the roundtuit pile and I haven't checked on this yet.

Mike.

I don't think there's any issue with the aperture size on the Dapol Western.... there definitely is on other models such as the Class 22 and Heljan's Baby Deltic. I've used the correct 4mm size digits by Precision Labels without any issues (sorry Phil) :oshenston_1033-01.jpg.16003e9ddb5c6f5aa2e154f6c015cde8.jpg

Here's 1033 Western Trooper hauling MDVs at Shenston Road.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

No worries Kier ....

Guessing those are external? Might work internally if original glazing ditched .....

PS You practicing for the "Buses on a Bridge" Grand Prix?

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Reckon thats 14" high for the glazing Mike - 5mm to scale? And Dapol glazing is 5mm externally! Issue is if fitting headcodes internally part of that 5mm is taken up by the walls of the perspex box arrangement Dapol have used....

Funny how something which measures accurately to scale might not always look exactly right on a model.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Might be handy if that were the case Mike but unfortunately if you want to retain the illumination that may not be an option as the LEDs are set below the clear boxes and use their internal surfaces to reflect through the external apertures... the whole shebang is sealed up with bots of dense black foam. It works but it aint that elegant! D1047 is off on a trip to Bulmers tonight - camera makes things brighter than really are!

32CB93BE-6146-4C4D-83F0-CAC189585E70.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
Added photo
  • Informative/Useful 3