Byker Gate 7mm BR (NE) Suburban Station Junction

Nortonian

Hi Ian,

P-way is coming on great and is really starting to come to life, it would be great to see the J71 running on it biggrin.gif When is the first run planned for?? Keep up the inspiring work,

Best regards Mick

Hi Mick,

I thought I would of had enough chairs for this layout but, I am now having doubts ,so I am concentrating on areas that need completing before I run out so as not to hold myself up. This is basically the ends of the layout and working to the center. I will not need many more than another 250 pack, possibly some slide chairs, so to that end, I may also change one of the crossings to a single slip, so more sleepers required as well. This will allow two goods trains to run in parallel.

Non railway stuff is preventing me from continuing with the J71 at present, although I have had a 2-8-0 chassis running over this layout as a test vehicle. I will let you know when I am on with the J71 again, next week I would think now. He said.unsure.gif

I`m on a chocolate hunt again this weekend.

Take care out there.

Ian

It would be nice to see you build a single slip so I can use it as a means of reference at a later date. A 2-8-0, is this another project mate? what is it a WD, 02 or a Robinson 04, do tell. I can just see a grimey dub dee slowly winding its way accross that single slip biggrin.gif . Good luck with the chocolate hunt, i'm always on the hunt for chocolate after the christmas lul. Although this doesn't help my expanding waist line!!

Kindest

Mick

It would be nice to see you build a single slip so I can use it as a means of reference at a later date. A 2-8-0, is this another project mate? what is it a WD, 02 or a Robinson 04, do tell. I can just see a grimey dub dee slowly winding its way accross that single slip biggrin.gif . Good luck with the chocolate hunt, i'm always on the hunt for chocolate after the christmas lul. Although this doesn't help my expanding waist line!!

Kindest

Mick

Hello Mick,

There are two diamond crossings on the layout, and now one of them will probably be converted to a single slip. There is also one other. This will become an outside slip. I cannot construct this until I finish the tracks to the board ends to see if I have enough chairs. Its a shame as I don`t think I will be that far short.

The 2-8-0 was from (dare I say it), another railway. icon_redface.gif I used this chassis as its wheelbase is 20`, whereas the WD is only 16`3". So, my thinking is, if I can get this around the layout, anything smaller can do likewise.

Once I have this trackwork finished, I will push on with the other engines to test them all for running before I paint and ballast the P/way, just in case.

I see Tesco now sell 90% Cocoa, but I have tried 99% last weekend. Just like tile adhesive on your tongue.wacko.gif

Anyway, here`s an update.

Lefthand track next to the strip of timber is the crossing.

post-7282-1263548136859_thumb.jpg

And here`s the makings of a trailing crossover.

post-7282-12635482173038_thumb.jpg

There`s been quite a bit of progress of late but I will not bore you all with every nut and bolt, but I will post `chunks` of completed trackwork or near of. I will document the slips though.

Kindest

Ian

Ian

I have about 100 chairs in my bits and bobs box that you can have if that gets you out of a hole, and saves you from having to buy a full pack.

J.P.

Thankyou JP,

Well this has taken about 20 attempts to get on here. Obviously problems still exist. I guess future updates will take place as and when possible eh ?.unsure.gif

Good luck Andy

Kindest

Ian

Well its kind of working again I see..............but very slow at this end. This is my second attempt at sending photo`s.

Anyway, keep up the good work Andy.

I am deffinately going to run out of chairs, both 3 bolt and slide, so I am just concentrating on essential areas that need finishing first. Here`s a few photo`s of where I am up to.

post-7282-12639937354626_thumb.jpg

post-7282-12639937872709_thumb.jpg

post-7282-12639938302504_thumb.jpg

Kindest

Ian

Inspirational as ever, I must read back over this fully when i get a moment. Thanks for keeping the updates coming. I'm getting rather jealous of the freedom you have to devote time to working at this pace and level. GRRRrrrrrr, one day, possibly, but sadly not this week. Ho hum - i'll just have to adopt a modeller to be my surogate or something like that (probly sounds a bit wrong but you know what i mean)

Cheers again, Steve

Inspirational as ever, I must read back over this fully when i get a moment. Thanks for keeping the updates coming. I'm getting rather jealous of the freedom you have to devote time to working at this pace and level. GRRRrrrrrr, one day, possibly, but sadly not this week. Ho hum - i'll just have to adopt a modeller to be my surogate or something like that (probly sounds a bit wrong but you know what i mean)

Cheers again, Steve

Thankyou Steve for those kind words.

If it will save you a bit of time, I can refresh here to keep everyone abreast of the original concept without having re-read it all, especially as we are now on page four.

The `Diorama` as that is really what it is, is based on the mainline north of Newcastle between Manors and Heaton. There was a station at Byker, immediately off the junction with the mainline on the old riverside loop, but the platforms were on a tight curve and only on the branch. This is where the modellers licence comes in.

The layout will be screened by bridges at both ends with an ex NER gantry signalbox over the tracks because of space constraints. A goods loop crosses the line from one side to the other to add operational interest. In adjusting the original track layout by turning a crossing into a single slip, it will allow two trains to run parallel to each other whilst one crosses the mainline. It will be a brief moment in time when this happens but exciting all the same.

The diorama has the potential to be expanded after the competition to make it more complete. Space of 2010" makes this uncomfortably tight at present and I sometimes wonder as to whether I`ve boobed in starting this.

The original aim was to have this as a roundy-roundy, which it still can be but again space is of a premium as any 7mm folk will know.

The line to the shed entry/exit is facing the wrong way for the real Heaton to be at this point, but again adds for additional interest. This will allow engines to appear big or small and wait for the peg to gain access onto the main running lines.

The station will have five platforms, three of which are only to be of the very ends. Of the other two, one will just about handle a coach as an end of a train and the fifth is the parcel/loading bay to allow for some shunting. The J71/2 could rest here from time to time.

Five new engines will be scratchbuilt for this layout, the exact locomotives have yet to be confirmed but the layout will possibly include from future or past collections, the following :- A1, A2, A3,(don`t like A4`s), B1,B16`s, G5, J25, J27, J71/2`s, K1, L1,Q6, Q7,T1, V1/3 & V2`s.

Quite a list I know but some real gems in there. Rollingstock, well that`s some way off in the distance but coal hoppers will dominate for the mineral runs as well as plate wagons for the shipyards at Wallsend.

Loaded coal wagons will pass in both directions due to gas coal and steam coal coming from different parts of the Northeast and differing uses.

I guess once the competition is over, I will immediately expand the depth to allow my original plan ,then lengthen the layout as space permits. If I can`t fit it all together in the space available, then it will be disposed of. Another layout will then be started.

I know this is easy to say now, but many moons ago before Chris Pendleton`s North Shields appeared, I came up with an uncannily similar idea in 7mm and never carried it out. I had the space then as well. If I can bend the same theme into an `L`, then this will still come to fruition. Very similar to Blyth station and the shed, plus a bit of Seaham thrown in.

At least I will have plenty of stock by then but no need for the Pacific's.

Anyway, I`m glad I am keeping you all entertained as that was the original concept. Not bothered by the competition itself other than the size limitations. We`re only limited by our imagination, yeah ?.unsure.gif

Ian

P.S. For those who don`t know, my avatar is of Kate Bush who has kept me going whilst the site has been off !rolleyes.gif

Hi,

Earlier on, Mick requested the construction of the single slip be documented. Well this is to be an outside slip, the first one mentioned previously. The conversion of the crossing to a slip will need some of the sleepers replacing, so as I have now ran out of slide chairs, I will just build as much of all this as I can until I can get some more stock.

I was keen to get the trackwork just about finished before I do anything else, so I will move over to the J71 whilst waiting for fresh supplies of C&L parts.

So first up here`s a photo of the location of both slips.

post-7282-12641522643646_thumb.jpg

The top crossing where the triangular piece of cork is, is the location of the converted crossing/slip. The outside slip is to be in the center of the photo. The sleeper ends will be trimmed once the slip is completed or near of.

Next we have a length of rail in place in position of the mainline. It is fixed at the right hand end by two chairs.

post-7282-12641525455733_thumb.jpg

post-7282-12641526556928_thumb.jpg

The rail is then bent round to the other end of location on the adjoining board and secured.

post-7282-12641527683462_thumb.jpg

It is held in place with a peg.

post-7282-12641528404363_thumb.jpg

The rail is then marked at the baseboard join and will be cut but not before marking out on the cork, the sweep of the curve and the position of the slide chairs.

post-7282-12641529552618_thumb.jpg

More updates as I progress.

Ian

Okay, last update for today.

The rail has now been cut and chairs fitted, then fixed in position.

post-7282-12641791744553_thumb.jpg

The curved outside slip stockrail is now fixed with chairs on alternative sleepers to allow checkrails to be fitted, then the gap in chairs will be completed.

post-7282-12641792085293_thumb.jpg

And lastly, one side of the diamond crossing side stockrail.

post-7282-12641792449916_thumb.jpg

Have a good weekend.

Ian

Okay, last update for today.

The rail has now been cut and chairs fitted, then fixed in position.

post-7282-12641791744553_thumb.jpg

The curved outside slip stockrail is now fixed with chairs on alternative sleepers to allow checkrails to be fitted, then the gap in chairs will be completed.

post-7282-12641792085293_thumb.jpg

And lastly, one side of the diamond crossing side stockrail.

post-7282-12641792449916_thumb.jpg

Have a good weekend.

Ian

I know i've said before but thanks for doing the step by step stuff, it must be tedious but it is invaluable. Look forward to the finished result and having a go myself,

Best regards Mick

HI..

I must say very nie track work.. hope all my 14mm/0-14 stuaff looks as good...

keep up the great work.

Stuart in OZ

Hello Stuart,

Thankyou. The trackwork is quite therapeutic actually, as you can watch it develop before your eyes and its only as slow as your work speed.

Mick,

Its no problem supplying the `how to` guide if that`s what it is. This is a hobby, one which can be shared with those who wish to imbibe the thing !. Well........., when the hamster peddles fast enough in the server at busy times, eh ?.blink.gif

Ian

Well as we all now know, the battery on the server gives up just before 18.00 or there abouts. So with this in mind, we need to post early in the day.

The crossing `Vee` is now in place.

post-7282-12645870869824_thumb.jpg

I use a piece of wood to align the rails up as I go along.

post-7282-12645871148492_thumb.jpg

The first crossing rail completed. Oooo !, it gets complicated from here on.blink.gif

post-7282-12645871443314_thumb.jpg

Well I`m down to my last fifty chairs now so when I finally run out, I am not rushing out to buy more, I will pick some up at a forthcoming show, ie, Doncaster or somewhere.

So what`s next ?, well this I suppose.

post-7282-12645871661327_thumb.jpg

I will start a separate thread for the signalbox as its an item in its own right.

Kindest

Ian

Coming on leaps and bounds now !! icon_thumbsup2.gif

Definitely a good thing you stuck with 0fine and not Scale7. I'm pretty sure that 0-8-0 (G2?) Would never have made it round those radii..

JB.

Hi JB,

Yes we are making some progress now, but I`m surprised anyone is able to keep up with anything on here at present. More off than on !angry.gif

Its a 52xx by the way.

Ian

Well, I`m left wondering if the problem of me putting photo`s on here, is at my end or work being carried out by/on the server.

This page to me has my name top left, but profile list on the right. I am unable to see an `add attachment` button, but yet I have `two` browse buttons.

The reason I am asking this is because some of you are still able to do this, and whilst I know Andy Y mentioned he could not understand why some folk see things differently to others, my concern is that I removed some files from here (my PC) last night, namely my son`s Sims packs and extensions.

My PC is also working slightly differently, Google home page is different and I cannot see maps although I can call them up. Has removing The Simms removed something else all together ?.

I see the forum is working of some kind this evening but also this typeface is different too.Emoticons are all over the shop as well.

So until summat works be it me or RM, then it looks like its seeya for now. Me and technology don`t mix, although if this was steam powered................

Kindest

Ian

Gentlemen,The ongoing computer problems appear to be getting worse and to be quite honest, I`ve given up hope and lost interest, so this is my last post. I would just like to say thankyou to one and all for the kind remarks over the work shown on the threads and good luck with your railway modelling.Kind regardsIan

Archived