Military Railways and BR traffic to RAF/MoD bases

Kelly

It didwink.gif As of course did many other RAF stations which were not rail connected.

Even establishments which had rail connections would receive smaller items via the local station- I believe RN Llangennech had some Scarabs for this.

Those Karrier Bantams from Base Toys would look quite smart around the station forecourt, or in later days, a Bedford TK.

Hi Kelly.

In more of the area you're planning, an airfield used to exist at Hamble. This was served off the Portsmouth to Southampton line. I believe a trailing siding split into 3 loops then rejoined before an ungated road crossing took it onto site. As to whether it was military I don't know; a quick web search should confirm/deny.

Hope this may help

Puck

• RMweb Premium

RNAD Gosport used part of the single track Fareham to Gosport line and was still in use when I left the Depot in 1987; we moved a lot of stuff (both explosive and non-explosive) between Gosport and Ernesettle, and Dean Hill. In the latter case I had a few van loads of missile boost motors go astray only to be found at Salisbury a few days later! Dean Hill is now closed, but IIRC there are photos on Google Maps which show the internal narrow Gauge lines; the main magazines were dug into the hillside. Gosport had a decent amount of standard gauge track but we didn't use it for internal movements. I don't know when the line to RNAD Gosport was closed off, but was saddened to see cabinets standing where the line used to join just south of Fareham station.

Simon.

The remains of the Gosport branch that served RNAD Bedenham closed about 1991.

There was also a sharply-curved steeply-graded branch that left Portsmouth and Southsea station into the naval base, that crossed Edinburgh Road, which closed in 1977.

Hi Kelly.

In more of the area you're planning, an airfield used to exist at Hamble. This was served off the Portsmouth to Southampton line. I believe a trailing siding split into 3 loops then rejoined before an ungated road crossing took it onto site. As to whether it was military I don't know; a quick web search should confirm/deny.

Hope this may help

Puck

IT would seem that it was primarily a civilian airfied, with quite a few famous names from the heyday of British aviation having premises there:-

daveg4otu.tripod.com/airfields/ham.html

After it ceased to be used for the airfield, the branch served the BP refinery at Hamble, which I believed retained a rail connection into the late 1980s.

Finningley

Apart from temporary platforms for a shuttle service from Doncaster for the Air Show days (Four Vulcans taking off in a demo of QRA :blink: )

I had the pleasure of sitting in the Runway Control Caravan just off the end of the QRA platform on several occassions when that happened, either at Airshows or on Exercise. I was there when "Maj" turned to the AOC after a display "Scramble"( 4 Vulcans airborne in 42 seconds from the order), and said " That was very impressive !" - he replied,"Yes Ma'am, and it will never happen again!" - and it didn't - after that one had to be airborne before the next one rolled !Four Vulcans rolling down the runway at the same time was something that had to be seen , and heard, to be believed. I was there too, when "Sleepy Fred"

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Fred_Mulley fell asleep in the middle of the display!

Pretty sure when I saw that (I'd have been 11 or 12 at the time) all 4 were rolling at the same time. I also remember at another Finningley Airshow a few years later a poor helicopter pilot doing his best to put on an exciting display just in front of the crowd line, with everybody (yes everybody :D ) looking away to the right where the Vulcan 558 was on hold before its display. Saw her again for the first time since then at Leuchars 2009, I found it strangely emotional for somebody who's main interest is trains not planes...

Vulcan back at Finningley yesterday!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzHFG7sJvSY

http://www.planestv.com/video/1202

Im seriously tempted now to model an army depot now, but Im not sure whether to stick with N Gauge or move over to 00, Ive always modelled in N but there seems to be a better range of military vehicles, and figures!!!!!

However I am stuck with a track plan though :blink:

I might as well model something that I have an interest in though....!!!

• 3 years later...

I know this thread is old but I am interested in the traffic in and out on the Central Ordanace Depot at Donnington, Shropshire, but photos are non existant!

I do have a photo of a military train from the 1960,s which I attache from the excellent Annesley Fireman web site. This shows some armoured cars presumably from Chillell or Ruddington, but I am not sure.

I am building a model of Trench Sidings which is on the Wellington to Stafford line circa 1962, my location is very near the interchange sidings for the COD Donnington so all trains runninmg into the COD would pass through my location. The only photos I have just show some Palvans, but nothing more.

Davidpost-20690-0-94178600-1406718325.jpg

Further to my posting above, I ought to say a bit more more about the COD at Donnington. Built during the Second World war it had extensive sidings adjacent to the Stafford -Wellington line and had its own loco shed with the Austerity 0-6-0 tanks allocated, replaced the the 1960,s by some Rushton 0-6-0 diesels. Still rail connected until the 1970's. There was a standard gauge internal rail system. The site hit the headlines in the 1980,s when a huge fire destroyed millions of pounds worth of equipment. My recollections ad a 14 year old was of a trip working from Wellington (pulled by Ivatt 2-6-0 46419, returning to Wellington and a freight from Wellington going forward to Stafford calling in the exchange sidings, with anything from a 4F, to a B5, Jubilee (usually one of Burton sheds allocation inc 45593') and on one occasion a Rebuilt Scot 46155 The Lancer). But I can't remember what the wagons were or what loads there were!

So does anyone have details of what traffic was worked in and out of the interchange sidings?

David

I've seen the occasional photo of trains from the branch at Wellington station; mainly nondescript vans, and 5-plank opens/Conflats carrying 'B' type 4-ton containers. One photo did have a Warflat with one of those demountable radio containers on it. I think that one might have been in Robert Hendry's book on 'British Railways Goods Wagons in Colour'. The depot has had its rail connection rebuilt, and sidings relaid, in fairly recent times, with the idea of it serving as a rail-served distribution depot, but I haven't heard anything since the opening. The works opposite the COD would have probably had rail traffic in and out as well; it's GKN-Sankey's armoured vehicle plant.

I used to have a college friend living in Trench; I think her dad ended up working on security at COD after finishing his 30 years with the RAF.

Since this thread has been resurrected - why I didn't think of it at the time I don't know (since I currently live 4 miles away!) - but there was a RN base at Invergordon on the Cromarty Firth which had tracks running every which way through it. All long gone, though I have seen a map of the base showing them - now houses and a rig repair yard - There was a gert big liner in today - very similar to the Costa Lotta Concordia (but it was the right way up!) like a floating Gin Palace block of flats.  The base also had HUGE fuel storage tanks which are still there, immediately beside the Far North Line - about two hundred yards north of the current station - I seem to remember that there was a tour through them (now dry) that was reported on in the local papers. I have no idea if fuel was delivered by rail or munitions and supplies for the fleet, though I imagine that would have been delivered direct to the dockyard trackage  For those who are interested there is more here  http://www.secretscotland.org.uk/index.php/Secrets/InvergordonFuelDepot

That was the usual formation for such traffic - when the French ejected US forces back in the late 1960s in a fit of nationalism or anti-NATOism or whatever it was a large percentage of US HE and napalm bombs that had been in dumps in France were sent to Welford via Tilbury Docks and then by rail, the branch probably hadn't been so busy in years and all worked by D63Xx diesel-hydraulics of coursebiggrin.gif Interestingly as far as can be seen on Google the traffic to & from Welford must have been transferred to road vehicles for the last few hundred yards - possibly a useful idea for the OP?

I have some pictures of WElford which appeared in Model Rail a while ago, showing the sand drag where the line from the USAF depot came down to meet the BR Yard behind Welford Park halt. There's a very good history of the Lambourn branch which includes details of the 'military railway' too. D. E. Canning, a WR signalman, also took some great photos of a D63XX on the branch with the 'bomb train' but I'm not sure where they have been published.. 

CHRIS LEIGH

The fuel tanks at Invergordon were (AFAIR) resupplied by sea and the jetty itself was in use until the 1980s by various RFA tankers. This was one of a number of strategic fuel storage points around the UK of which there are still three in use in Scotland. Until very recently there were also MOD moorings in the firth. I imagine a lot of the rail borne traffic would have been consumable stores, ammunition and (pre Great War) coal for the various warships resident.

• 6 months later...

I have some pictures of WElford which appeared in Model Rail a while ago, showing the sand drag where the line from the USAF depot came down to meet the BR Yard behind Welford Park halt. There's a very good history of the Lambourn branch which includes details of the 'military railway' too. D. E. Canning, a WR signalman, also took some great photos of a D63XX on the branch with the 'bomb train' but I'm not sure where they have been published.. 

CHRIS LEIGH

Hi Chris,

I remember that article - nice work! - and I have it filed away somewhere - I say filed but that's a loose interpretation of my storage system as it currently stands.

I was wondering if anyone had any info, photos or similar, on/of the types of tank wagons used for RAF facilities (fuel depot?) such as those at Purton (Nr Swindon) when it was rail served? I am modelling a BLT with a branch (to RAF Down Ampney) set on the old M&SWJR based on a 'what if scenario' around 1965-76 (a slow project starting from about 2005). Not sure if everything was starting to be piped around that time (1965-76) or not though (I need to do more research).

I was also wondering if any RAF fuel/oil depots were rail served during that era, if branded (ie ESSO) or un-branded tanks would be used?

Thanks in anticipation - really interesting Thread everyone.

Kindest,

CME

Hello all

Just to chuck my bit in I served my apprenticeship at Radway Green in the 1980's

Radway Green is between Alsager and Crewe and manufactures small arms ammo. It had an internal rail system there were always VEA vans knocking around due to the tight curves on part of the system, but we also had deliveries of empty cases for loading from the continent and they came in mainly 4 wheel wooden bodied German registered ferry vans.

thanks Steve

There is of course no reason why an RAF depot has to have aeroplanes or Navy depots ships or even water.

Two around here I can think of are RAF Hartlebury (rail connected at Elmley Lovett GF to the south of the station. Near Crown Lane) The buildings are still there spread around over quite an area and are now several  industrial estates. Last time I looked there were still some wagons in there but the GF connection has long gone.

RAF Hartlebury was a supply depot rather than an airfield.

The other is the Navy depot at Ditton Priors, served in the 60s via the Bewdley - Tenbury Wells  branch and onto the Former Cleobury Mortimer and Ditton Priors Railway.

Andy

There is of course no reason why an RAF depot has to have aeroplanes or Navy depots ships or even water.

Two around here I can think of are RAF Hartlebury (rail connected at Elmley Lovett GF to the south of the station. Near Crown Lane) The buildings are still there spread around over quite an area and are now several  industrial estates. Last time I looked there were still some wagons in there but the GF connection has long gone.

RAF Hartlebury was a supply depot rather than an airfield.

The other is the Navy depot at Ditton Priors, served in the 60s via the Bewdley - Tenbury Wells  branch and onto the Former Cleobury Mortimer and Ditton Priors Railway.

Andy

Hi Andy,

A good post with points well made.

I also think its a modeller's paradise to have aircraft or ships with eg an oil depot/dump, yet in reality, for their own protection fuel/oil depots/dumps were often kept miles away (in case of bombing) and also I suspect that logistics played a part, ie get the product to a rail-head and then pipe it from there. Having said this, I suspect that general purpose oils and fuel were stored on site for MT (road vehicles et al.). So one can model elements of a base - I have seen a couple of great exponents of this approach (sadly cant remember the layouts' names though).

ATVB

CME

• 1 month later...

Just one on the MOD theme, there is freight flow to RAF Leuchars for bulk fuel in TEA wagons where does that stable?

Looking through google maps and street view the connection looks severed still (but this may be out of date) I know it won't be aviation fuel as that is piped in does anyone have any ideas?

If people are looking to model something military in the 1950s a good one is the former Royal Ordnance Factory at Swynnerton in the Midlands it's right next to the WCML between Stafford and Crewe.

As it was an ROF production facility it have flows from all 3 services to all over the country and is compact when you compare it to the likes of some establishments especially of that era.

Just one on the MOD theme, there is freight flow to RAF Leuchars for bulk fuel in TEA wagons where does that stable?

This stables at Linkswood SIdings, some distance to the north of the old branch into the base itself, there is some info here http://www.secretscotland.org.uk/index.php/Secrets/GPSSLinksWood

Jim

CHRIS LEIGH

Chris

Some of these also show Welford

https://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?srch=Welford&serial=6&img=G-222-30

https://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?srch=Welford&img=G-222-27&serial=3

https://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?srch=Welford&img=G-222-29&serial=5

https://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?srch=Welford&img=G-222-28&serial=4

https://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?srch=WelfordPark&serial=4&img=G-222-33

Brian R

Thanks Jim,

I am a little suprised that there is flow to there considering there a refineries up there and well dundee is an oil town.

There's no refinery north of Grangemouth, though there used to be a bitumen processing plant at Dundee (Briggs Amasco), I believe. Prior to that, I think whale oil was processed there.

• RMweb Premium

Apparently Glenn Miller set off from Welford on his final journey,

But more importantly, in the days of Greenham Common, it was the base which stored all the Cruise Missiles away from Greenham itself.

I was working in a hotel a couple of miles to the South, and we often hosted GEC training courses. All about team building etc. The Bar was quiet, and the course tutor came in explaining that he had just let various teams off for their 'Night Exercise' which involved setting up a line of sight microwave secure link from 2 points.

I asked him where he had left them, just out of interest, and fished the local Ordnance Survey map our from under the bar.

He pointed to a fairly empty part of the map, saying 'here'

I then took great delight in informing him that he had left the teams just outside RAF Welford, , and between there and the hotel were some of the most heavily defended square miles in the whole of Western Europe at the time.

Cue sharp exit of course tutor to try and round up his teams before they were arrested by MODPLOD or worse for infiltrating the largest Nuclear Weapons Establishment in Europe.

Fortunately, he was successful, but when trying to get the MOD interested in some realistic scenarios at Welfoerd, Whitehall said 'Where?'

Regards

Ian

Thanks for that great story Ian,

I imagine that if the mod plod of military police got hold of them things may have got a little frisky for the team. Especially when they were setting up microwave comms.

If these days are anything to go by I know the mod plod and marines force protection guard can get rather jumpy around certain naval installations.

Archived