New & Improved Class 33

Andy Y

As reported and advertised in Model Rail 155 Phil Sutton of Rail Exclusive is to commission to improve and update the Class 33.

• New 33/0 with correct roof profile and corrected windscreen positions
  • As built version with original roof panels and silencer.
  • Photo-etched parts and see-through radiator grilles and internal framing
  • factory installed DCC sound option
  • Range of liveries: Green, GSYP, BR Blue, Railfreight Construction, Dutch and DRS
  • Variations in fuel tank & battery box types, headlights and radio pods
  • Range of printed headcodes
  • Stainless steel worksplates, arrows, nameplates and headboards where appropriate.
  • Delivery is expected by the end of the year.

Further information available here - http://www.railexclu.../33webflyer.pdf

Edit: 14.34 It appears from the above link that it's necessary to buy a twin pack @ £199

Double-headers are the only way to justify the investment required

Personally I'm delighted to see the early variants to be tackled but I think there will be collaborative buying as many buyers won't want two locos of the same livery. It may lead to 'spares and swaps' being available on the second hand market.

• Like 6

Interesting.

As built version with original roof panels and silencer.

Should be well received.

Photo-etched parts and see-through radiator grilles and internal framing

Implies a major(ish) chassis revision

Very welcome though.

Stu

Sounds like a great opportunity - think I would be more than pleased to get the blue pair - to bolster my Blue/NSE era stock...

Think I will have to thin out my era options one day....

80's west highland

90's/ 00's WCML

and 80's S/E is probably overkill

:lol:

The low key way that this one's crept out, relatively froth free, belies its importance. For many, this will be as significant a development as Bachmann's retool of the 37 without porch, or the Class 40 similarly.

And what is more, it's actually happening! Great stuff :P

• Like 1

Guest 47107

While this is a good idea and, knowing Phil Sutton, I'm sure we will get a very good and accurate model of a popular class, why oh why do they insist on selling pairs of locos ?

I feel many people will miss out on the model(s) in the liveries they would like simply because they can't afford to buy two of each. There are four liveries on the list I would like but that means buying eight locos at a cost of nearly £800.00 which I simply cannot justify. Singles will appear on certain auction sites but at how much of a premium ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One thing which isn't entirely clear is whether this is 'payment in advance' or, in effect, 'commitment to pay in advance' by sending in details now, Certainly for anyone paying by Postal Order it very clearly is the former so presumably it is the same for the other payment methods? I appreciate that this involves a small trader whose name is known in the hobby but does it indicate that 'money upfront' is becoming accepted in the hobby/ OK so this has some elements of 'known quantity' and the backing of 'reputation', and I certainly have no wish to see such enthusiasm for high quality dimmed, but are we entering a new retail/special commission era I wonder where the end purchaser is sharing the risk?

, why oh why do they insist on selling pairs of locos ?

I feel many people will miss out on the model(s) in the liveries they would like simply because they can't afford to buy two of each. There are four liveries on the list I would like but that means buying eight locos at a cost of nearly £800.00 which I simply cannot justify. Singles will appear on certain auction ...

Invisible ink in the OP again.

One thing which isn't entirely clear is whether this is 'payment in advance' or, in effect, 'commitment to pay in advance' by sending in details now, Certainly for anyone paying by Postal Order it very clearly is the former so presumably it is the same for the other payment methods? I appreciate that this involves a small trader whose name is known in the hobby but does it indicate that 'money upfront' is becoming accepted in the hobby/ OK so this has some elements of 'known quantity' and the backing of 'reputation', and I certainly have no wish to see such enthusiasm for high quality dimmed, but are we entering a new retail/special commission era I wonder where the end purchaser is sharing the risk?

The order form says to post date cheque to 01. Nov.11 which would then make the cheque valid until the end of May. Credit/Debit card payments obviously couldn't be taken until the goods are ready to ship as no mention is made of deposit.

Guest 47107

Invisible ink in the OP again.

No, there was no invisible ink. I read the post very carefully. Subsequent posts are echoing my comment about buying pairs. Surely if they sold all the models planned individually they would sell just as many locos, satisfy more people, and therefore still recoup their investment.

• Like 4

I think regarding the twin pack scenario, people will have to make their choice buy or dont buy. If lots dont buy and the stock doesnt move I would expect this type of L.E. twin pack not to be repeated. If however they all sell out then clearly the market has spoken.

Perhaps we will see different L.E. choices in future.. or as I suspect, these will sell out and thus the twin pack will continue - as with every product the quality fo the end product will determine its success. B)

Personally I would like someone to do a twin pack of ltd edition "fixed" Heljan 86's with speakers in both but only a decoder+ motor in 1 for running my intermodal traffic... however this strays towards froth... :D

Saw this with great interest as i have a thing for 33s. I have to say £199 is steep. I'm almost tempted to use the 33/1s that hattons are knocking out cheap and converting them back to 33/0s.

In terms of the twin packs is it not becuase of the minimum run and therefore this is a good way of potentially getting rid of them all even at the risk that some sales may be compromised? Also compared to the 2011 average Hornby list price £199 for two is distinctly average. Saying that i think it will still struggle. However only time will tell.

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The order form says to post date cheque to 01. Nov.11 which would then make the cheque valid until the end of May. Credit/Debit card payments obviously couldn't be taken until the goods are ready to ship as no mention is made of deposit.

Thanks Andy - I hadn't found that bit.

I just fail to understand the why they need to sell them in "Twin packs" to justify the investment. If it's going to be that good a model then surely they wouldnt have any trouble shifting them singly over time. £100 is today around the going rate for a 'top end' loco and thats fine, but i personally cannot justify spending near enough £200 to get my hands on them when i only really want one. I just find it somewhat frustrating. Rant over.

• Like 3

Considering the latest sound fitted 50 from Hornby has an RRP of £231.75, that, as steep as it looks, is probably what you could call 'the going rate'.

EDIT: Sorry Gordon, I missed your point about the comparative difference between sound and non-sound. You're right there... many people may consider the non-sound option and fit their own as it may prove more cost effective.

That was close! I've reccently had a "minor obsession" with Class 33s. Fortunatly it seems I'm over it. Just as well otherwise it could have been very expensive B) :lol: (Expensive not for price but for quantity required - Not that I consider a £100 model to be really be expensive. Sure, it's allot of money, but that seems to be the going rate for a new top of the range super detailed ready to run model thesedays)

On a serious note, this is great news for those in the market for a 33. The spec sounds very good.

I do hope my Crompton obsession doesn't reutrn otherwise I'll just have to upgrade ;)

I think I'd be better off buying a Heljan Crompton and detailing it. I'd love a perfectly detailed 33/0, but this is beyond my means. A shame, I'd have stumped up the cash for a single one. It was a bit like that with their class 37 packs for me. There was a single livery I would have liked, but no one wanted to go halves for the other livery in the set! :lol:

I wish them all the best for their venture, but looking at the rows upon rows of as yet unsold 33s on the Hattons site, and elsewhere, I wonder if this will have the opposite effect, and make people take up modelling after all by buying the cheaper, older model...!

Edit: meant Heljan, not Hornby...!