New & Improved Class 33

Andy Y

but I will change the screw link for a more workable but slightly less scale part (from Smiths) You cannot please all the people

I always use the Heljan screw coupling. I don't run particularly long trains 10 coaches and a CCT converter van or 20 wagons, not broken a coupling yet. Wish Heljan sold them as spares I would fit them on more stock.

And then you'll just get people saying "Why can't they fix the parts? I'm not paying £100 for a model that I have to finish myself" ... you can't please all of the people ...

I appreciate what you mean....but some of us lack the eyesight and dexterity to fit the"bits".....sorry.....and are delighted that Heljan has done it for us.Not going to put a "disagree" icon on posting.

That's a good point I suppose. I shut up...

• RMweb Premium

I personally like the halfway house, with full details fitted one end and a tension lock fitted the other, together with any piping that does obstruct it on 2nd radius curves. Otherwise I'm in the "lack of eyesight and dexterity" camp and would much prefer to remove items with tweezers than try and fit anything.

The new class 33 takes a bit of a slating in the latest Rail Express concerning roof detail and placement of detail on the construction liveried version. Don't know if the connection with Rail Exclusive has had a bearing on the reviewer even subconsciously but the legal battle etc is mentioned.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

I received my model of 33033 in construction grey livery today, and a very fine model it looks too.  

But, I have a bag containing a considerable number of bits and no idea what they are or where they go!  I think I've already broken a snowplough, mistaking the join between blades as just another sprue.

Don't these things come with any instructions or a diagram?  There was nothing in the box and Heljan's website is no help either.  Am I just supposed to guess?

Mal

Edited by Maltazer

I received my model of 33033 in construction grey livery today, and a very fine model it looks too.  

But, I have a bag containing a considerable number of bits and no idea what they are or where they go!  I think I've already broken a snowplough, mistaking the join between blades as just another sprue.

Don't these things come with any instructions or a diagram?  There was nothing in the box and Heljan's website is no help either.  Am I just supposed to guess?

Mal

Heljan can be off the mark or incomplete in their instructions. Even their new 23 uses the same instructions as the first 23s and these are simply wrong, could even lead a user to damage the model. I agree all manufacturers providing extra bits should at least advise where they should go.

The new class 33 takes a bit of a slating in the latest Rail Express concerning roof detail and placement of detail on the construction liveried version. Don't know if the connection with Rail Exclusive has had a bearing on the reviewer even subconsciously but the legal battle etc is mentioned.

Mark

Yes there some roof areas on the new 33 "late version" which are wrong that they had oddly got right on the old 2005 33/0 model.

By contrast the new early 33/0 is spot on.

Guest 47107

No working rear red tail lights on my new D6507 which is fine by me, as generally its a little spanker of an engine in both looks and performance.

I thought 33's displayed two red squares in the rear headcode panel. What look like marker lights low down on the body were not used and usually sealed over.

I thought 33's displayed two red squares in the rear headcode panel. What look like marker lights low down on the body were not used and usually sealed over.

I seem to remember this was debated a few years ago and in relation to Class 26s and 27s as well.  As you say, the marker lights were just marker lights and weren't used that often anyway.  The "tail light" was just a red blind:

6448973117_74c1ab7967_z.jpg

Stopped In Its Tracks - 33 017 by Sir Hectimere, on Flickr

No marker lights in use:

6521993841_5e81cfd515_z.jpg

The Woking Stop - 33 004 by Sir Hectimere, on Flickr

And while we're talking about 33s, here's an interesting picture of a blue one in 1967: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fungus-mcbogle/6635761771/

• Like 2

Heljan lights were notoriously weak with previous models, are 2014's range any better ?

As found in the original condition Baby Deltic released earlier this year. There's a neat three LED array upstand each end of the chassis, and one piece mouldings of 'light pipes' to the external lenses integral with the body. Lends itself to fairly simple modification for those so inclined.

No working rear red tail lights on my new D6507 which is fine by me, as generally its a little spanker of an engine in both looks and performance.

Mine's the same, but daft question are they meant to have red tail lights or just front white marker lights? As to the front marker lights being rarely used, I only knew Cromptons from the late '70s onwards & I certainly never saw them in use but by then I seam to recall that some locos had already lost one or even both due to body repairs. However as mine is D6507 in green, I'm happy that mine do work.

Other than that, as you say, an absolute cracker of a model - the weight of some of the models these days almost frightens me when I pic them up. Love the hollow exhaust silencer box that you can actually look down inside. Have to say I find the side radiator grille a lot better than it appears in some of the really up close pics - but should it be a dull silver in colour - surely it should be loco green like the rest of the body side?

When first run, there sounded to be a hint of a rub in one direction, but this is now fast disappearing.

One well happy bunny

Cheers, Mike C

• Like 1

If it's any help, having secondmanned and driven the Class 33 throughout the 1980s and early 90s, I don't ever recall the marker lights being in use or serviceable in any direction. Pre- headlamp days, white blanks or headcode was the only illumination forwards and red blinds at the rear if light engine. The knob next to each marker light used to change the lens from clear to red would always be inoperable due to dirt and overpainting. I can't actually recall any switch on the driver's desk relating to marker lights, although that may just be clouding of memory! Pete.

• Like 2

The new class 33 takes a bit of a slating in the latest Rail Express concerning roof detail and placement of detail on the construction liveried version.

Mark

I would recommend any prospective purchasers read this review first. Si Bendall does not pull any punches. I have also read the other magazine reviews over the last couple of weeks which are, shall we politely say, are very superficial and unconcerned with real detail. I think it was BRM that reviewed the very same 33033. The conclusions could not be more different. I still think the bogie sideframe shape has changed for the worse. Is there any further opinion on the colours used for BR green?

Regards

Igor

• RMweb Premium

Class 33 (also all other SR locos and multiple units equipped with 2-character head codes) should use the blanks as follows:

Reds = End of train marker or stabled loco (in addition a tail lamp also to be used when off the SR)

Whites = Trailing end of loco coupled to a train or intermediate position such as between locos / units coupled together

Blacks = blanks when a single-digit code is to be displayed

I personally like the halfway house, with full details fitted one end and a tension lock fitted the other, together with any piping that does obstruct it on 2nd radius curves. Otherwise I'm in the "lack of eyesight and dexterity" camp and would much prefer to remove items with tweezers than try and fit anything.

It creeps up on you! I was happy fitting the details and then one day, suddenly, I couldn't see to fit a small black object into a small black hole against a black background.

Heljan lights were notoriously weak with previous models, are 2014's range any better ?

I'm making a very slow transition to DCC and haven't yet got around to chipping the Heljans. I was wondering if the lights are somehow configured to work better when chipped? Has anyone made the comparison?

I'll find out for myself in due course but for the time being I was just curious.

RP

At least when chipped and run on DCC, the lights are at full brightness all the time, whereas on analogue DC, they will only be at full brightness when running at full speed/full power.

Personally, I prefer the lights to be reasonably dim ... just like the real ones were!

I ditch Heljan circuit boards and lights... (have a few spare if anyone wants them). I either do home made circuits using leds or be lazy and fit express models kits, which are rather nice.

I believe Brian at shawplan is planning some bodyside grills... everyone please pester him! He'll certainly sort out the look of the bodyside

I would recommend any prospective purchasers read this review first. Si Bendall does not pull any punches. I have also read the other magazine reviews over the last couple of weeks which are, shall we politely say, are very superficial and unconcerned with real detail. I think it was BRM that reviewed the very same 33033. The conclusions could not be more different. I still think the bogie sideframe shape has changed for the worse. Is there any further opinion on the colours used for BR green?

Regards

Igor

o.k. (having myself read the REX review on Thursday night) but I just couldn't resist at Ally Pally today and got myself a nice little blue 33059 from the Cheltenham Model Centre's stand.

With reservations about the main side grille, I succumbed and ordered a green with full yellow ends version, because I still appreciate having one with the earlier roof style and better roof shape. The grille can be fixed later (another potential customer for Shawplan here!).

That will make it seven Heljan 33s in my 'collection': 3 x old 33/0s with slightly reshaped cab roofs, 1 x new 33/0, 2 x 33/1 and 1 x 33/2. Four of these are fitted with sound from three different sources (Howes, legomanbiffo and Digitrains/Paul Chetter).

One question: can anyone remember what the sound was like when they still had the large silencers fitted? I would assume they would have been considerably quieter in early days, which means the existing sound projects available probably won't suit the original condition versions, but can someone confirm this please?

Have read the rail Express review. So overall:

Early version,

has trenches for gaps between the cab panel,

oversized grills (fan grill is actually finer than Bachmann 37 or Hornby 31 and 56!)

These are very minor points as they are only noticeable if you are really looking up close and be easily rectified. I think the early version is as perfect as we can expect.

Late version, has all the above plus:

exhaust port not in its proper place, it should be more off centre

Air horn covers still in place (they were removed in the 70s)

A large fictitious and prominent roof panel covering the former exhaust silencer ports which never existed.

Printed on panels below the big grills

and both bolts and latches on the minor side roof grills (early version is correct with only bolts)

No high intensity light and radio roof options (there was on the original Heljan 33/0, which btw did not have the above faults).

The fictitious panel will ask for a lot of work to put right.

Conclusion: I think REX could do well to concentrate on a new late version.

Edited by JSpencer

Have read the rail Express review. So overall:

Early version, has trenches for gaps between the cab panel, and both bolts and latches, oversized grills, exhaust port not quite in its proper place.

These are rather minor points as they are only noticeable if you are really looking up close.

Late version, has all the above plus:

Air horn covers still in place (they were removed in the 70s)

A large fictitious and prominent roof panel covering the former exhaust silencer ports which never existed.

I think REX could do well to concentrate on a new late version.

Don`t forget they were always likely to pick fault with it given the history.

The only part of the model I really dislike is the horn covers, I`m tempted to cut them out and stick some horns underneath. Anyone had a go yet ?

The roof panel could be covered with weathering (my dutch one is loose)

33059 will soon be added to the Construction (for me the darker grey isn't that bad, its in the can get away with category) and the Dutch one.

Don`t forget they were always likely to pick fault with it given the history.

The only part of the model I really dislike is the horn covers, I`m tempted to cut them out and stick some horns underneath. Anyone had a go yet ?

The roof panel could be covered with weathering (my dutch one is loose)

33059 will soon be added to the Construction (for me the darker grey isn't that bad, its in the can get away with category) and the Dutch one.

The roof panel replacing the silencer port is a separate fitting?