New & Improved Class 33

Andy Y

So you don't, or have not had, a commercial relationship with the business in any form?

Hi, Andy -

Rail Exclusives engaged my company to build their first website some years ago - but that's all. I obviously know Philip Sutton and I'm aware of how much effort he puts into his projects. He's certainly working hard to raise the standards for the community.

• Like 1

I was the same Mike, only wanted the DRS pair, in the email from Jamie Walsh yesterday you can read her own personal disappointment the way this project has crashed.

I'm not keen on Vi-Trains products so I'm hoping it doesn't go that way, but good luck to them if they take it on, I'm sure we will soon find out.

• RMweb Premium

Well this is not good news as I was getting four sound machines (2 BR Green and two BR Blue) and splitting with two other webbers. Didn't know about the Facebook swap shop! Did I really only want one green and one blue as they often ran (off SR) in pairs (e.g. ECML cement). Perhaps this has saved me being daft by not going for just a pair of blues!

So is the existing Heljan 33 really that bad for someone (me) that doesn't know diesel detail but likes something that mostly looks the part?

How easy are they to convert to EM (Ultrascale?) and shove sound in?

P

I was the same Mike, only wanted the DRS pair, in the email from Jamie Walsh yesterday you can read her own personal disappointment the way this project has crashed.

I'm not keen on Vi-Trains products so I'm hoping it doesn't go that way, but good luck to them if they take it on, I'm sure we will soon find out.

I agree Martin - All of my Vi Trains 37's were replaced with Bachmann ones after bits kept falling off.

I stuck to Heljan for my 47's eben though there a bit wider than they should be.

I have a Heljan 33 207 in West Coast and to be honest really happy with it.

Just a shame Heljan appear to have given Phil and Jamie the runaround.

We'll see what transpires ??

Hi Guys,

There has just been a post in the Small Suppliers section mentioning the Canadian firm Rapido are coming to the UK to research a UK prototype

http://www.rapidotrains.com/uk.html

As I put in my post, Jason is as committed to detail as Philip of Rail Exclusive is. If anyone is going to be able to pull off a stunning Cl33 these guys in co-operation are going to be it!

Huge numbers of fingers crossed!!!

Luke

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys,

There has just been a post in the Small Suppliers section mentioning the Canadian firm Rapido are coming to the UK to research a UK prototype

http://www.rapidotrains.com/uk.html

As I put in my post, Jason is as committed to detail as Philip of Rail Exclusive is. If anyone is going to be able to pull off a stunning Cl33 these guys in co-operation are going to be it!

Huge numbers of fingers crossed!!!

Luke

Wow, now that is interesting! They mention they're off to Crewe to check out the APT....

Well, one can dream...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Rapido have an obsessive attention to detail and their models are second to none, it'd be fascinating to see them do a UK outline model. Given that their owner has an interest in high speed passenger trains, and given that the Hornby Class 43 is good enough that there is limited scope to make anything better then I'd lean towards them dabbling with something like the APT if they are genuinely interested in a UK model. Alternatively, what they could do is a Mk.3 coach to match Hornby's Class 43 power cars. Rapido made their name with wonderful coach models and there is an imbalance between the quality and detail of the Class 43 and their Mk.3 coaches, they have the same issue with their Mk.3 DVT which is a wonderful model that ends up shaming the regular Mk'3 coaches coupled up to it.

• RMweb Premium

So whats to stop Heljan releasing some new class 33's of their own. I personally love these models, yes the /0 has a slight roof impairment but this goes with weathering, and the /1 & /2 are correct. They are streets ahead of the old Lima and regurgitated railroad version and are good value.

I'd like a 33023 please with red bufferbeam and white roof, and 008 in its first version of green i.e. No white band and headlight.

33212, on 05 Nov 2013 - 18:59, said:

So whats to stop Heljan releasing some new class 33's of their own.

Probably absolutely nothing. It all depends how much work had actually been done on the them, but as RE have been paid back in full as I understand it, they should have no call on that work done and it would be a way for Heljan to offset their loss in this matter. However given that this all came to a head over Heljan taking their own sweet time over things, I'd not necessarily bank on them getting the model out anytime soon, and RE's new manufacturer may be more than motivated to deliver quickly...

... .Didn't know about the Facebook swap shop! .. they often ran (off SR) in pairs (e.g. ECML cement)...

... class 33's .. regurgitated ....

Now that a certain Liverpudlian outlet is running a 'previously purchased from us and now coming round again' service, the opportunity to get an all over green pair for the South of York element of the Cliffe-Uddingston cement run is before me. But I want the pair for no more than the £79 price of the late BR liveried V2 which was the alternative traction, especially as this looked, smelled and sounded better. Maybe have to wait a while for that deal...

Probably absolutely nothing. It all depends how much work had actually been done on the them, but as RE have been paid back in full as I understand it, they should have no call on that work done and it would be a way for Heljan to offset their loss in this matter. However given that this all came to a head over Heljan taking their own sweet time over things, I'd not necessarily bank on them getting the model out anytime soon, and RE's new manufacturer may be more than motivated to deliver quickly...

...combination of avoidable errors & poor attention to deadlines P.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

Interesting, I think we might learn more come Warley announcements. Hopefully we'll still get an improved 33, maybe still through Philip/Rail Exclusive. Even if it's not, thumbs up to Phil for doing his best at the time. 

Nothing is ever simple! 

• 3 weeks later...

The pics of the new Heljan 33/0 look really great. Finally the model is looking like a Crompton, although I agree the chicken wire grills should be replaced.

One question that springs to mind reading these posts, is why do people think the 33/1 has the correct (or maybe better) profile while the original 33/0 does not?

I have both and there is not 1 iota of difference between the two bodies. The only differences are on the nose (handrails, various cables etc) and the buffer beams where you would expect there to be a difference.

I have examined both side by side, looked at the corners of windows, everything, there is nothing to suggest that the 33/1 uses a different body tooling to the 33/0. So - for me - just like the prototypes, the two are the same bodies with differences only in nose fittings and buffer beam fittings. Therefore Heljan's 33/1 must also be the incorrect shape.

I can only speculate that at some point, some reviewer stated at some point that the 33/1 was (more?) correct and this statement has been repeated since.

I agree that 33/2 is more correct as it is clearly entirely body tooling for obvious reasons (being a simmer loco).

Moving on - does it now mean that RE will be cancelling my sound fitted "Burma Star" (my dream loco as I saw it almost everyday on the way to school near Gillingham station)?