New & Improved Class 33

Andy Y

Let RM Web organise to Twin up people, so they can get the one they want. Charlie

RMWeb SWAPSHOP :D

I'll be getting the DRS Twins to go with my DRS 20

I may then also have to get 207 in DRS also

Phil Sutoon is to be commended yet again

I have to be honest I have my own list of accquisitions which I've almost completed and there's not much in the mainstream that I want to get so looks like Rail Exclusive may be the main recipient of my hobby budget this year !

In fairness, I thought you meant Hornby Railroad, with a bag of Heljan parts from Howes.... :D

To be fair, I was looking at my Railroad 40 conversion I'm working on, at the time of writing, probably a loose wire in my brain scrambled the message!

I can't see that it's impossible to get a passable 33/0 from taking one of the very much still available Heljan 33/whatevers still about, surely? I seem to recall George Dent did a pair for the now defunct Treoch layout many moons ago.

• RMweb Premium

My initial excitement has, like others, waned on the news that you have to commit to buying two models in the same livery. I would be happy to commit to buying two, if that was the only way to ensure a sufficient number of models was produced, provided I could buy a mixed pair - for me a Green SYP and a BR Blue.

I can understand their need to recoup the investment in new tooling, but since Rail Exclusive will decide how many of each set to produce basded on commitments to buy before a certain date, surely they could agree to mixed sets up to a certain date, after which only the matching pair sets could be pre-ordered.

I hope this works for them, but I too may well end up waiting until single models are produced as standard Heljan releases. Unlike many of Rail Exclusive's specials, which cover special liveries and/or loco numbers, these 33s are standard locos and do not cover limited tooling variants, so there can be little doubt that they would sell for Heljan as standard releases in future. With that knowledge, I fear that many will baulk at buying two the same and will wait.

Incidentally, what about green FYE? That would be my first choice of livery, so even more reason to wait.

I have emailed Rail Exclusive about this and will post what they say in reply.

I've now received a reply from Jamie Walsh at Rail Exclusive:

The Class 33s are not available to be split and you are incorrect in thinking that we sell mixed pairs of Class 37/7s. We announced the two twin packs and this is the only way we are selling them.

I can tell you that the Class 33 packs will be sleeved but each locomotive will be in its own individual box. If you are keen to purchase these models and you think that two locomotives are not required we would suggest that you approach friends, colleagues or club members to organise a ‘swap’.

Our market research showed green with full yellow ends as one of the least popular liveries which is why we have chosen not to include it. It is possible to model this variant by repainting the ends of any of the green locomotives. We will be more than happy to produce a locomotive in this livery for you if you can guarantee us significant sales.

Thank you for your interest in RAIL EXCLUSIVE. If I can be of any further assistance or you have any additional questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards

Jamie Walsh

General Manager

RAIL EXCLUSIVE

Special Edition Model Commissions

She's misunderstood what I asked about mixed sets - I meant two different liveries in one twin pack as they did for the Class 37s, 37501+37502 and 37702+37798, or different bonnets (37713+37884 and 37510+37688), whereas the Class 33s in each twin pack are identical except for the loco number. Will this make them loss popular - I hope not for the success of the project.

As far as green with full yellow ends is concerned, clearly they are not willing to add it to the list for later models we can vote on. So I'll be keeping my Heljan one.

Good news on the packaging though - at least it will not be a single insert for two both locos so you can sell one separately boxed.

Edited by brushman47544

Nip and tuck reaches the RTR world! Trouble is I've already warmed-over my own Cromptons, hacked a 33/1 into an original and seen many lovely renditions on here and elsewhere of both converted and original 33/0s. I also bought most of mine for about 40quid each. Could this be one of the most undeserving upgrades of recent times? My impression was of a long queue of unloved funny looking models ahead of this one in the surgery waiting room. Ah well!

• Like 2

Hi All.

To allow for those who feel that finding 'the dosh' as one lump might be a bit of a strain on their modelling budget.

I noticed, and thought it worthwhile pointing out here, a small snippet from the bottom of the order sheet from Rail Exclusives.

"Interest free payment plans are available to help spread the cost of your models. please telephone us for more information. A one-off £5 charge will be applied to cover the extra banking and administration costs."

Might help some, give 'em a bell and ask 'em :).

I would say that it seems to be a positive step by Rail Exclusives is assisting purchasers in these wallet tightening times.

Mike

• Like 1

...."Interest free payment plans are available to help spread the cost of your models. please telephone us for more information. A one-off £5 charge will be applied to cover the extra banking and administration costs."

Might help some, give 'em a bell and ask 'em :). ....

Will certainly be useful option for some, though I can't help thinking that it makes the whole affair feel as though you're buying something from The Franklin Mint.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Swap arranged (another plus point for RMWeb B) ), now to order (as will the guy doing the other half of the deal).

New 33s on the way for "South Pimlico 2 ":D - how about a superdetail 73 or two next?

.... these 33's will be more value for money that the 'collectables' from the Franklin mint :blink:....

Even more so for the sellers when they reach eBay. It's a bit like ticket touts these days - they buy up most or all of the allocation, and then it's straight onto eBay at [insert multiple] the price..... Kind of kills the point of having a 33.....

• RMweb Premium

Even more so for the sellers when they reach eBay. It's a bit like ticket touts these days - they buy up most or all of the allocation, and then it's straight onto eBay at [insert multiple] the price..... Kind of kills the point of having a 33.....

That does seem to be the case and I can understand some people may have to go down that route for a Limited Edition of a pre-fixed number of pieces (e.g. 504 for Bachmann locos) that sells out quickly. But anyone who pays over the odds on ebay for Rail Exclusive special editions just after they are released really are gullible - or just so addicted to ebay they don't care. As for those people who are willing to pay over the odds on ebay for a L/E that hasn't yet sold out... :blink: .

One benefit of the special edition format is the number ordered is always more than the number of pre-orders, so anyone who wants a particular special edition can get one provided they sign up in advance. And with Rail Exclusive's payment plan, fewer people should miss out because they cannot afford one lump sum.

Still don't like that they expect you to buy two in the same livery and suggest you swop one to get a second version (or sell if you only want one). As special editions with a decision on the final numbers to be produced based on pre-orders, it would be nice if we could commit to buy two locos of our choice from all the liveries to be produced initially. Why should they care how many of each version are produced - surely they want to maximise overall numbers to ensure the project goes ahead and they make a profit at the end. Perhaps they've ruled it out as a logistical nightmare.

As you would expect I am very happy that an accurate/quality 33/0 is to be produced. Yes, I have known about this for a couple of weeks but I am not connected with Rail Exclusive other than offering my thoughts on the errors on the Heljan model.

The changes are very comprehensive, while the flat roof was the worst mistake a very close second was the front windscreens being too close to the sides. I have corrected the later on one loco and it was not easy, hence I have been slow to repeat it. I had thought about converting a 33/1 but the front screens are wrong on that too, so there would still be much to do. Every modeller has to decide what they are happy to live with on each model. I had built a fleet of 33/0s in liveries that hide the front screen issue, e.g. Dutch & NSE. Plus run far too many 33/2s which are much more accurate.

I am not the only modeller who has offered advice for the new specification, Phil is trying to get every fault corrected however minor that can be achieved. It should be a very different model. He intends to supply impressive packaging, details of the locos history, all nameplates and plaques and shed plates (not just the 2 names)which is a nice touch.

It is clear Heljan would never had done all this themselves, these will only be available from Rail Exclusive direct unless sold as secondhand and there are no plans for Heljan to release the revised locos under their own name. This was the only way we were ever going to get an accurate model.

For the number of locos I can run on my layout it would save me a huge amount of time over improving the origional model by getting these new models, plus the time repainting for Construction livery and correct Dutch liveries.

I understand these might be too expensive for some people but sharing packs has been mentioned, but unfortunately quality now costs more, as the RTR big boys have shown.

I will have several packs as Cromptons are my thing and are used on the area and period I model.

Cheers.

It is possible to model this variant by repainting the ends of any of the green locomotives.

No sh*tlol_mini.gif

In fairness, I thought you meant Hornby Railroad, with a bag of Heljan parts from Howes.... :D

I thought he meant Lima. The HO one.

wink.gif

Looking at Kernows web site the list price for the Heljan 33s is upto £89, the Hymeks have gone to £99 so two improved 33s for £199 is not partially bad pricing for a limited edition and if Heljan were to release the improved 33/0 then the list price would be most likely £99 or more; its just that people have got use to not paying the list price or anywhere near it from the box shifters. It is the pairings that is the problem ; I would be tempted by a plain green one and a green one with a half yellow end but not two the same livery.

Guest Belgian

Looking at their order form, they are possibly proposing to issue some locomotives as "single packs". At the bottom it says that you are invited to tick for "Revised NSE" "EWS Maroon and Gold" "BR Blue with grey roof" or "Eastleigh". Prices to be half the Twin-pack price.

JE

I have been thinking about this, and this is my carefully considered GUESS (!)

First, I applaude the production of the accurate models (I am surprised that Heljan has failed so notably with regards to the 33/0).

Second, looking at the matter of producing only "twin packs" of the same livery, I can only understand this in terms of "using" the collectors market. A real collector will "need" the twin pack - a single model will not suffice. An ordinary modeller may need two of a single livery, but with most layouts being quite small and 33/0s being mostly oddities encroaching on steam or EMU service, a "single" would be more likely useful. In addition, the "sharing" option (espoused both here AND by Rail Exclusive !!!) does not bring any more money to Rail Exclusive.

Third, whether Rail Exclusive or E-Bay sharks hoard some of the more popular ones to release over time on E-Bay is something for them.

Fourth, as the locos will be manufactured and sold in their own boxes there is NO sensible reason for Rail Exclusive not to sell mixed livery pairs as long as they could choose the running number. They would only be left with a maximum of one each !

This last point is, to me at least, a VITAL point - my take is that it shows a lack of respect to the railway modelling fraternity (!)

-------------------------------------

So, I believe this is merely a marketing ploy to make "collectors" buy more. As I am an "operator"/amateur hoarder - I am only interested in a single model of a plain green AND/OR a small yellow panel green model. I would be most happy with a mixed livery pairing of a plain green/syp green. In this matter I am, quite selfishly, happy to see collectors have to shell out more, but as the matter rebounds on me I cannot just accept it happily.

So, I can either find a "partner" who also wants this sort of pairing (as I have no preferences for specific numbers) or just not buy.

It is a balance between "wanting" the models and whether I believe Rail Exclusive are abusing the "ordinary modeller" (mostly "me" but also my fellow sufferers). At present I am inclined to go with the " *** them, I refused to be used " and won't put in an order. However, when the first reviews come out, or an actual deadline for final order of models is announced/imminent then I may have to think again.

Remember - there is no SENSIBLE reason for Rail Express NOT to sell mixed livery pairs.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I am tempted by a sound equipped BR Blue pack.

Does anyone know what range of sounds will be on the chips, the usual I would guess.

And also who is providing the sound sets unless they are recording their own.

Apologies if I have missed this information somewhere.

Thanks.

Garry

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have received further info from Jamie Walsh which maybe of interest, in particular to those wanting to get different liveries:

Thank you for your additional communication.

Unfortunately it is not possible to mix packs – this is a much more complex project than the Bachmann Class 37s and numerous commercial considerations have to be taken into account. In view of the high specification and the knowledge that these particular items will never be repeated I’m sure that like minded modellers will be innovative enough to will find a way of securing the locomotives they require.

We have been inundated with enquiries on this, the first full day of publicity for the project. A number of people, whilst ordering, have already commented on the twin packs being a good idea. In the knowledge that you cannot please all of the people all of the time, we have set up a Facebook Group today called ‘Crompton Friends’ which aims to connect people who wish to undertake ‘exchanges’.

With regard to your personal livery request, we would be more than happy to add this to the production run for you but only if you can secure the names and addresses of approximately 500 people who would commit to purchase. This is the same premise as the other individual liveries actually listed on the order form - they will not go ahead unless the advertised items are successful and the required interest level is achieved. There is nothing stopping modellers like yourself campaigning to get additional liveries produced, and in fact, we would welcome this. However, 500 is, as you know from your Bachmann limited editions, the magic number that needs to be surpassed. If you can reach that target we would happily let you choose the running number!

I'm pleased to hear that there has been a good response to the project announcement and the Facebook idea is an interesting idea to "help" with swops. But what if you arrange a swop, or sale for that matter, and then your find that your partner drops out and you are left with a model you don't want and perhaps can't afford to keep? No thanks.

Her comment that "these particular items will never be repeated" is interesting. Lyddrail says much the same thing too:

It is clear Heljan would never had done all this themselves, these will only be available from Rail Exclusive direct unless sold as secondhand and there are no plans for Heljan to release the revised locos under their own name. This was the only way we were ever going to get an accurate model.

This I find astonishing. Unless Rail Exclusive will own the tooling, why on earth would Heljan NOT produce models using it some time in the future. Assuming Heljan wants to keep a Class 33/0 in its range, I can hardly see it using the current (inaccurate) tooling when it had better tooling available. It might also use it to update the 33/1.

Jamie's comment about the green FYE version is interesting. If I was being cynical I would say it was not included in the list of possible future single models to vote for becuase it might detract from sales of the twin packs. I have no intention of trying to collect 500 names as she suggests, but it does suggest those wanting it should lobby Rail Exclusive.

I'm in the phil gollin camp on this. I do hope the project is a success, but I don't want two of the same livery and unless Rail Exclusive changes its mind and sells a twin pack with the livery combination I want, I will pass.