New & Improved Class 33

Andy Y

The main issue was with the 33/0 having an incorrect roof profile; this was changed on the 33/1 and 33/2. 

More details on the other changes that will be made can be found at http://www.railexclusive.com/index.php?category=83

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

IIRC there was an issue about the green bagpipe but I can't for the life remember what it was... it was the only one in green as the prototype so I'm thinking the bits and bobs added during conversion was changed for the 'production' conversions, was it something to do with the air pipes I wonder??? I have absolutely no idea and I maybe completely wrong as it's well before my era.

IIRC there was an issue about the green bagpipe but I can't for the life remember what it was... it was the only one in green as the prototype so I'm thinking the bits and bobs added during conversion was changed for the 'production' conversions, was it something to do with the air pipes I wonder??? I have absolutely no idea and I maybe completely wrong as it's well before my era.

ok ta very much...

just found this, 

As a step towards the removal of steam from the Waterloo - Bournemouth services, D6580 was modified for remote operation with a modified rake of electric multiple unit stock and tested between Wimbledon Park & Basingstoke commencing July 21st 1965. The following month the newly delivered 4-TC stock was available for high speed testing on the Bournemouth line. The addition of the three jumpers on each side of the cabfront of D6580 and the selection of a small rectangular yellow warning panel did not improve the aesthetics of the cab front. D6580 would later be modified to have its push-pull equipment conform to the other 18 locomotives.

Edited by rogace

• RMweb Gold

ok ta very much...

just found this, 

As a step towards the removal of steam from the Waterloo - Bournemouth services, D6580 was modified for remote operation with a modified rake of electric multiple unit stock and tested between Wimbledon Park & Basingstoke commencing July 21st 1965. The following month the newly delivered 4-TC stock was available for high speed testing on the Bournemouth line. The addition of the three jumpers on each side of the cabfront of D6580 and the selection of a small rectangular yellow warning panel did not improve the aesthetics of the cab front. D6580 would later be modified to have its push-pull equipment conform to the other 18 locomotives.

... and I think it may have been repainted blue at the same time... but I'm not completely sure?

• RMweb Gold

Rail Exclusives have written today, announcing a postponement in this project, due to a change of manufacturer. The letter advises that Heljan are no longer producing this model, but doesn't say who the new manufacturer will be. There seems every intent to continue with the project, and Phillip Sutton apologies for the delays to this model.

• Like 1

Captain Kernow, on 23 Oct 2013 - 10:18, said:

Rail Exclusives have written today, announcing a postponement in this project, due to a change of manufacturer. The letter advises that Heljan are no longer producing this model, but doesn't say who the new manufacturer will be. There seems every intent to continue with the project, and Phillip Sutton apologies for the delays to this model.

My supposition would be that either Dapol (with an N gauge version already being prepared...) or Bachmann have taken up the reins, with Vi Trains a distant outsider but there being a relationship there already. I don't think I'd be unhappy with any of those three doing the job to be honest.

I assume although Heljan didn't originally want to revamp their 33s (I'm specifically thinking here of the roof profile on the 33/0) the proposed Rail Exclusives models have indicated that there is a decent market for an altered model (especially if released as single items rather than in the proposed pairs), including smaller changes to the 33/1 and 33/2.  They might have decided that there was more money to be made in a general release model rather than giving someone else a more limited exclusive release.  While the 33 wasn't as widespread as say the 37 and 47, they were spread throughout the Southern Region and privatisation took them further afield.

I'd imagine that any other company will wait to see what Heljan's plans are before jumping in. 

Edited by BR(S)

I assume although Heljan didn't originally want to revamp their 33s (I'm specifically thinking here of the roof profile on the 33/0) the proposed Rail Exclusives models have indicated that there is a decent market for an altered model (especially if released as single items rather than in the proposed pairs), including smaller changes to the 33/1 and 33/2.  They might have decided that there was more money to be made in a general release model rather than giving someone else a more limited exclusive release.  While the 33 wasn't as widespread as say the 37 and 47, they were spread throughout the Southern Region and privatisation took them further afield.

I'd imagine that any other company will wait to see what Heljan's plans are before jumping in. 

And it's taken Heljan 2 years to work this out?

And it's taken Heljan 2 years to work this out?

When you're sitting on a big pile of your client's cash it pays dividends - quite literally - to hang on to it before you're told to give it back.

Exactly.  Heljan already have a model in the market place and I'd imagine they've made good money from it, the 33/1 and 2 being considered decent representations of the class.  If they can let someone else take the risk on a re-vamped model and then reap the rewards from various angles then so be it.  Not how I like to live my life, but then that's why I'm not in business.  Of course, I should add that this is all speculation on my part without any knowledge of the process involved. 

I'd love to know more about what's gone on behind-the-scenes between Heljan and Rail Exclusives, but I don't suppose we'll get to hear about it.

Edited by BR(S)

The next time you pre-order an item, just remember that the company who commissioned the model has zero control over anything. Both them and you are entirely at the whim of the manufacturer.

If the manufacturer decides to delay the project, what are you going to do? If the manufacturer decides to sit on the project, or maybe go and do something more lucrative, what are you going to do?

The only thing you can do is cancel the project - but when that happens, the manufacturer might demand a cancellation fee.

Sound unfair?

Best let a judge decide.

The next time you pre-order an item, just remember that the company who commissioned the model has zero control over anything. Both them and you are entirely at the whim of the manufacturer.

If the manufacturer decides to delay the project, what are you going to do? If the manufacturer decides to sit on the project, or maybe go and do something more lucrative, what are you going to do?

The only thing you can do is cancel the project - but when that happens, the manufacturer might demand a cancellation fee.

Sound unfair?

Best let a judge decide.

It's evident you have a vested interest in this situation and I understand frustrations may surface (on either side) and it's possible that contractual clauses could mitigate losses in such areas (especially with hindsight) but conversely may place additional obligations on the commissioner of a model. If there are any legal proceedings it may be wise to not let anything spill over.

If it helps, when I left I wasn't working on any 33's.

That's not to say things have changed there, but rumour control does at present point to a Heljan revamp.

Cheers for that Dave, you'll obviously know way better than I what you are and aren't allowed to talk about in a Dapol context, and I wasn't fishing, honest :) So possibly a case of Heljan finally seeing the potential market then.

Sound unfair?

Best let a judge decide.

Not quite true.

Depends on the savvy of the person dealing with the manufacturer and what he stipulates in his contract.

A simple one-line contract (Produce me a better 33) would be the equivalent of your thinking. But write detailed specs as to what you want, with quality checks built in, and timescales, and YOU are in charge. It would be the manufacturer paying up for failing in the contract.

Stewart

It's evident you have a vested interest in this situation and I understand frustrations may surface (on either side) and it's possible that contractual clauses could mitigate losses in such areas (especially with hindsight) but conversely may place additional obligations on the commissioner of a model. If there are any legal proceedings it may be wise to not let anything spill over.

Hi, Andy -

Not at all. I certainly don't have a vested interest - nor am I aware of any impending legal proceedings. That said, I do feel companies such as Rail Exclusives deserve credit for standing firm when the odds are stacked against them.

A victory for David against Goliath in this case.