Midland Counties Publications

barrowroad

Nearly two weeks ago I created an account with and ordered a book from Midland Counties Publications.

Their website indicates the book has been despatched by 1st class post and yet I have not received it.

Today I telephoned their customer services to be informed the they are no longer in business and a company called Dovetail Services have taken over customer relations.As yet have no access to customer accounts and consequently they are, at present, unable to tell me if my order was despatched or whether I will be getting it.................... I will update on the situation as and when I hear anymore.

I post this only for information for fellow members.

I thought that Midland Counties Publications was owned by Ian Allan Publishing? A quick look at the Ian Allan website confirms that 'Ian Allan Plus' operates from the same Hinckley address as MCP. I have to say that I've always enjoyed good service from them - I'll await further news with interest..

[Edit: Beaten to it again - I'll have to learn to type faster)

I had an email newsletter from Kevin Robertson yesterday which said something about this - but only closing the showroom and not attending exhibitions as I recall (unfortunately I have now deleted the email).

I telephoned Ian Allan Publishing head office this afternoon and spoke to a gentleman in management by the name of Dominic.

Ian Allan have or are in the process of closing down the Midland Counties mail order operation in Leicestershire. All current and outstanding orders of MCP are the responsiblity of Ian Allan, the parent company, who are in the process of making alternative arrangements for their mail order business. I understand Ian Allan will continue to operate their mail order service from elsewhere.

Dovetail Services are currently providing a customer relations service but there are some issues with their access to ordering and account information relating to MCP which should be resolved in the next week.

In the meantime ian Allan have sourced my book from another store and are sending it to me by courier by the weekend together with a voucher for the inconvenience. A result for me a an example of good customer relations by Ian Allan.

I have also been told (unofficially) that MCP has closed down and moved to Kent. As a regular customer for some 30 years, I was most annoyed that they have never notified their customers of the change. A standing order for a DVD was processed in early March, but I am still waiting for it to arrive.

No matter what people may say, this is NOT good Customer Relations, and as far as I am concerned, may well be the parting of the ways.

It would seem that "service" has become a dirty word.

gresley

I have also been told (unofficially) that MCP has closed down and moved to Kent. As a regular customer for some 30 years, I was most annoyed that they have never notified their customers of the change. A standing order for a DVD was processed in early March, but I am still waiting for it to arrive.

No matter what people may say, this is NOT good Customer Relations, and as far as I am concerned, may well be the parting of the ways.

It would seem that "service" has become a dirty word.

gresley

My book arrived yesterday together with a £20 gift voucher so fair play to Ian Allan head office. I agree that failure to notify customers as to what is happening with the business is not good customer relations and can only suggest that contacting the head office with your complaint is a suitable course of action.

A friend of mine sent me a link about a clearance sale at the Ian Allan Plus showroom at Hinckley starting 28th March 2011.

Robin

• 2 weeks later...

I understand that Ian Allan has closed down MCP, with all the staff, and some of them were very long-serving, being made redundant. MCP has not moved to Kent. I believe this is another company and merely operating some sort of call centre for processing orders.

Apparently several publishers (particularly those who restrict the number of outlets per geographical area) have suddenly been beating paths to the door of Book Law Publications in Nottingham.

No doubt the story will become clearer in the weeks to come.

Archived