Mike's 2010 Challenge Entry

Hi,

My 2010 challenge entry is my capstan shunting layout.

I had started construction prior to the challenge announcement although it fits within the rules.

A thread showing my initial progress is on the previous rmweb:

http://www.rmweb.co....php?f=9&t=49877

Overall size: 48" x 9" (432 square inches)

Scale: OO gauge, 4mm/foot

Era: Big 4, approx 1930's onwards

Locos: small 0-4-0 shunters

Wagons: small vans and opens (either 9 or 10 foot wheelbase)

Power: 12V dc

Baseboard: 6mm ply with 1"x1" framing

Legs: 2"x1" timber 3'6" high

The layout comprises 2 points and 2 wagon turnatables accessing 5 sidings and the 'fiddle yard', although only 1 siding is directly accessible with a loco, hence the capstans and ropes.

All of the track is laid and the layout 'runs'. The next jobs to do are sorting the position of the buidings and loading docks and then inlaying the track.

I will post pictures of current progress later this week

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a couple of photos of progress so far:

post-6837-12605611231549_thumb.jpg

post-6837-12605612189752_thumb.jpg

Once I've got some plastruct I beam and tubing I can work on the main building which will go at the right hand end of the layout.

This will have a modelled interior and either a removable roof or (more likely) no roof, as access is needed for the capstans.

There are also a couple of loading docks to build and at least 2 other buildings, then once I've finalised where the buildings are going I can put the hardstanding down.

Mike

Hi,

The mechanism couldn't be simpler, as I only need them to rotate 90 degrees there is a piece of brass bar attached horizontally to the central vertical rod, with another piece of rod used to pull or push the turntable, I'll post a photo tomorrow.

Thanks

Mike

Hi,

Its a bit later than I had planned, but here's a photo of the mechanism from underneath.

Moving the brass rod rotates the turntable, and the two screws limit the rotation to 90 degrees

post-6837-12608758594043_thumb.jpg

Mike

• 1 month later...

Its been nearly a month but here's a progress update.

Both the turntables have representations of the timber deck fitted and I've started on the buildings.

Here's a couple of photos:

post-6837-12636381645912_thumb.jpg

post-6837-12636384064159_thumb.jpg

post-6837-12636385876124_thumb.jpg

To the right of the 'doorway' will not have a roof as access is needed to move the chains about, there will however be a roof support beam on columns.

At the left hand end of the layout will be a fairly large building to block the view of the 'fiddle yard' although I'm yet to decide how I'm going to do the roof as the building will probably have angled corners to better fit the location.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Here's an update of my progress so far.

I have laid Metcalfe cobbles at one end of the layout and I am gradually covering more and more of the layout with them.

post-6837-126753156988_thumb.jpg

post-6837-126753157712_thumb.jpg

post-6837-126753158462_thumb.jpg

The main thing left to do is construct a building to cover the exit at the left hand end of the layout, then I can lay the cobbles up to it.

Then I have a lot of brickwork to paint!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally finished the cobbles!

Here's a few photos:

post-6837-126894967541_thumb.jpg

post-6837-12689500746_thumb.jpg

post-6837-126895024906_thumb.jpg

The remaining space will be occupied with another building which I am yet to start constructing.

Mike

Mike -

That really was a load of old cobbles (in the nicest possible way!). Interesting concept - I'd love to see a vido of it in action - somehow 'stil' images don't do justice to the action that appears to be possible.

I also think your wagon turntable mech is brilliantly simple. I've got to construct a couple on another layout I'm building. Are you able to carry the electrics across them?

Where did you get the capstans from - or did you turn them yourself?

Regs

Ian B

• RMweb Gold

Just found this Mike, what a great concept and layout. I followed the link back to your two threads on old RMweb and read all about capstans, which is ideal as I will also be needing some and was wondering about the details - many thanks!

Did you end up using the capstans from squires or are they map pins?

Thanks for the kind comments,

The capstans are the ones from Squires, they may be a little overscale, but they look the part to me.

It would be possible to carry the electrics across the turntables, although my method of construction using copperclad board would need a lot of section breaks, and since locos can't run over them (the real ones) I didn't think it was neccessary.

Shipley club have gone to the other extreme on their layout Leicester South (GC) with indexed motorised turntables with components made with a milling machine.

Their turntables have power across them as they use motorised vans to simulate the wagons being hauled about.

I had thought up all sorts of complex indexing systems for my own turntables, but it would have overcomplicated things and taken ages to build.

Thanks

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've made a start on the final building for this layout, here's a photo.

post-6837-126989380704_thumb.jpg

I just need to get some more corrugated sheet for the roof.

Then I have a whole load of brick to paint, thats gonna be fun ......dry.gif

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have made quite a bit of progress since my last update, here's some photos:

post-6837-127178326855.jpg

post-6837-127178332211.jpg

post-6837-127178338013.jpg

post-6837-127178346004.jpg

I have painted all the brickwork which wasn't so bad in the end, a quick wash of mortar colour went better than I thought it might.

The tops of the loading bays have had slabs scribed on, and all of the buildings now have a roof.

Its now mostly detailing thats left to do.

Mike

I'll happily second Paul's comments! Looking really good.

As for a name - well, definitely *not* politically-correct these days - but I remember 'Capstan' as a brand of cigarettes in my younger days (not that I ever smoked!) - so how about something along the lines of 'Smokehouse Wharf'? G>

Regs

Ian B

Thanks for the kind comments.

Next on the agenda is to get a load of crates, barrels and other similar bits and bobs.

I need to find some appropriate figures as well.

Mike

• 2 months later...

Well I thought I replied to this last night, I know I'm tired but I can't have imagined that....

No pics unfortunately, the layout IS ready but it hasn't really changed since the last pics.

I haven't had time to take any more recently, and you probably wouldn't be able to tell a difference from the ones up here already, I know I couldn't biggrin.gif

Mike

After sending myself round the twist playing with the chains yesterday (and yes, i DID see them in my sleep!) I thought I'd post a couple of photos of this unique layout!

Now to try and fight off ideas of doing it in 009!

post-7895-127953331459_thumb.jpg

post-7895-127953335967_thumb.jpg

post-7895-127953340453_thumb.jpg

post-7895-127953342543_thumb.jpg

I'd've taken more, but forgot my camera in the afternoon!

J

• 2 weeks later...

Archived