Mike's 2010 Challenge Entry

Thanks for the kind comments.

Aside from driving everyone who operated the layout at Goathland round the bend (including myself) quite a few people seemed very interested in the layout and asked some very good questions.

A few people spent a considerable time watching as well.

If I had a half decent interweb connection at home I'd take some videos, but at the moment pictures take long enough to upload.

I've got a few more trolleys and a figure or two to paint and add to the layout but I've almost done as much as I'd like to the layout.

It was handy being able to set up and take down the layout instantly in one go other than attaching a controller and sorting stock out, I think its the future...

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

In the last week or so I've built a set of legs for the layout.

I have built another board 18 inches wide which the layout is fixed to.

There is a shelf 9 inches wide behind the layout for the controller and stock.

The layout even in this form is well under 2010 square inches, 864 to be exact, although only 432 is the layout itself.

The support is wider than the layout so that it is more stable.

Here's a picture:

post-6837-128242169377.jpg

Mike

Looking good so far, and I reckon it will be fun to operate too.

There used to be a layout on the circuit which I think was owned by the Mid Essex Model Railway Club. It had a coal tippler and brewery where shunting was done using wire and capstans to transmit the loco's power to the correct direction. I think it was the Barwell Brewery Company.

I must say this layout is lovely. I am starting another small shunting layout soon (now my 3ed biggrin.gif) and this is really inspiering. Can you tell me please what the buildings are made of!? Thanks Tommy

Thanks,

The buildings are scratchbuilt from slaters brick plastikard, with wills arched windows and arch overlays.

The roofs are made out of slaters 4mm corrugations and plastruct square channel is used for the guttering and rod for the downpipes.

There is an amount of internal plastikard bracing in each building and more plastruct has been used for the columns and roof beam.

Hope this helps

Mike

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks guys, although as the article on Carl's site says I was inspred by other people's ideas.

I got to your thread from Carl Arendt's site, first of all let me congratulate for your layout and for the idea of turntable shunting; then a question, how do you link the chain to the loco and wagon?

Thanks

The chain has a couple of loops attached to each end which are the same type as used on the smiths three link couplings fitted to the wagons, to couple the chain to the wagons and loco I use a pen-torch with a length of brass rod attached to it.

Something like this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Energizer-09660C-Penlite/dp/B000IWZX52/ref=pd_cp_diy_3

A fine piece of wire is soldered to the end of the brass rod and formed into a hook shape, which make a sort of shunter's pole.

Its quite fiddly to use and can take a while sometimes, but its the only way other than using magnetic coupling loops and a magnet on the end of the 'pole'.

I'm fairly sure some manufacturers sell ready made versions but mine was home made, the most difficult part was finding a pen torch with a 'clicky' on-off switch!

Mike

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all,

The time has come to try and find this layout a new home.

If you're interested and would like some more info, please drop me a pm.

I would be prepared to let it go with some stock, you would however need a controller of your own preferred type, I use DC on this but DCC should be ok with no alterations.

(I've ok'd this with Andy Y in advance)

Cheers

Mike

Archived