St Jude

kevblokey

It's been a month or so since this happened, but I have become the proud owner of 'St Jude', featured on the old forum (must find the link at some point!), this SLT built by Stu Davies (lapford34102) is on a 67" x 6" plank and depicts a truncated branch line somewhere in the SW of England.

Since acquiring 'SJ', other than routine cleaning and maintenance, the layout has been left as is, however, as built the layout is firmly set in the early-mid 1960's, no bad thing, but not quite my era.

So my dilemma is do I update the layout to suit the stock I intend running (BR corporate) or leave well alone? I feel the 'makeover' doesn't need to be anything great, the initial changes I am contemplating are:

1. change all station signage for BR corporate

2. change barley twist lamps for more up to date versions

3. do away with station building for a simpler platform shelter

Any thoughts?

The following pictures show 'SJ' in it's current form along with Bachmanns 108 plodding the line.

Your comments and thoughts are welcome.

Regards,

Kev

Sorry, no pics at the mo, thanks to shockwave flash crashing for the umpteenth time!

*EDIT* Pictures now added, sorry about that, PC throwing a wobbly!

post-6974-0-22837800-1300915161_thumb.jpgpost-6974-0-13847800-1300915125_thumb.jpgpost-6974-0-27724500-1300915100_thumb.jpgpost-6974-0-76031300-1300915064_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

TBH I think you could probably get away with just replacing the sign, or even adding corporate signs and leaving the old one in situ.

-or invent a reason as to why the station has been kept in the 'old style'

You could do as little or as much as you want really (not helpful) ;)

I would keep the platrom shelter as its not a big building that could have been sold off as anything useful, house/pub/shop etc and to disturb it might also end up having to redo platform surface/fence etc around it, but thats just my 2 pence!

Hope you enjoy the layout too, - sometimes small and simple is a refreshing change! :)

• RMweb Premium

I'd suggest leaving the lamp posts, removing the old running in board and BR totems, replacing them with corporate signage and repainting the lamps, fence and shelter in the appropriate colour scheme. Another idea might be to add a "bus shelter" but retain the old shelter, with the windows and doors boarded up, as if awaiting dismantling. It would be a shame and a hassle to lose it but that would be representative of the modernisation process, not quite complete.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

After much chewing the fat, I decided to go for a revamp in order to make the layout better reflect my choice of period(s) that I like to model.

As will be seen from the following pictures, the demolition crews have moved in and stripped the platform surface and forecourt area away as well as removing all station buildings and fittings, line side, all pre-corporate signage has been removed and the telegraph poles have been taken down.

A new, albeit, less luxurious waiting shelter is undergoing construction, this has been painted in a colour scheme not unlike those on the Looe branch were painted in during the last couple of decades.

The platform surface and forecourt will be resurfaced using a fine grade of wet & dry (any recommendations?), new fencing of a modern-ish ilk will be fitted, new station lighting, new signage (station and track), the forecourt will be marked out with parking spaces, yellow lines and so on, a new backscene (possibly) plus anything else I can think off.

All this will done without overcrowding the layout and making it look messy, hopefully!

Anyway, pictures...

post-6974-0-10426400-1302082239_thumb.jpg

After the hurricane passed through, oddly enough, the trees retained all their foliage!

post-6974-0-91101200-1302082353_thumb.jpg

The scrap train gets filled up, next stop, Collectors Corner!

post-6974-0-50146100-1302082505_thumb.jpg

The original running in board, to see the light of day again?

post-6974-0-02831000-1302082639_thumb.jpg

The new passenger facility at SJ under construction, made by that well known firm 'Baxter Basics'.

post-6974-0-86141900-1302083065_thumb.jpg

Who's nicked all the poles?

So, that's the plan, your comments/thoughts/criticisms much appreciated.

Kev

I've aways liked this layout so I'm glad to see it getting a new lease of life.

I'd definately suggest keeping hold of the old fixtures and fittings though, especially the lamposts and totems/running in board. These survived at many stations well into the 1970s, and you could even retain the running in board with corporate image on the lamposts. That was quite a common occurrence. Also, they'd be useful if you wanted to 'forward-date' even further, one station on the Truro-Falmouth line (I think it's Penryn) actually regained WR signage a couple of years ago, and very nice it looks too! :)

With relatively few changes, you've got 50+ years of operational era at your fingertips.

This layout is a cracker, it's always fascinated me since I saw it on Carl Ardent's site a while ago; and also if I ever decide to put 'phase 2' of the current layout I'm building in to production I was going to thinking something along these lines, as it's simple yet captivating at the same time.

What I would do if it was me personally, is to keep the signs and the shelter, and modify them so they had pins underneath, with a relative hole on the platform, and then do the same with the shelter, so instead of having the headscratch of thinking "GWR/Corporate", a quick swap would change the era so it doesn't look out of date with a green/blue railcar (or a pannier and autocoach), and it still looks 'fresh' and up to date with a 153.

• RMweb Gold

I've aways liked this layout so I'm glad to see it getting a new lease of life.

I'd definately suggest keeping hold of the old fixtures and fittings though, especially the lamposts and totems/running in board. These survived at many stations well into the 1970s, and you could even retain the running in board with corporate image on the lamposts. That was quite a common occurrence. Also, they'd be useful if you wanted to 'forward-date' even further, one station on the Truro-Falmouth line (I think it's Penryn) actually regained WR signage a couple of years ago, and very nice it looks too! :)

With relatively few changes, you've got 50+ years of operational era at your fingertips.

I'm also pleased to see this has a further lease of life, I always liked the minimalist but realistic look.

A number of West Country routes now have pseudo-GWR signs - the Liskeard - Looe line being another.

As said, the scope to extend timescales could be tempting, it would allow a wider range of stock options too!

• RMweb Gold

I think you have gone down the right route.

Its nice to give it the personal touch and if you remove things carefully you could always re install them at a later date or pass them on should you wish to sell the layout on one day.

I always liked the simplicity of this layout...and look forward to seeing it in BR Blue too...

Keep us posted on progress :D

Thanks for the responses guys.

The idea of pinning the buildings into place is sensible and is something worth serious consideration, the replacement shelter (knightwing) is not based on any prototype that I can recall, although the colour scheme is based on that of the Looe branch during the 70s and 80s. The running in board will stay as a tribute to the old layout, as for the rest...

Pictures of the progress to follow.

Kev

Ive always liked this layout, infact my next layout will be very similer. Who says that in order to have a good model railway you need lots of track? not me thats for sure :)

looking forward to seeing how you transform this layout.

Chris

Great to see your work so far - keep us posted.

I liked this layout too from the first time I saw it - so much so that I did my version of it in N gauge :D

Its for sale actually as I need the space! ;)

Cheers

Roger

Always got room for another, could be tempted

• 5 months later...

I'd suggest leaving the lamp posts, removing the old running in board and BR totems, replacing them with corporate signage and repainting the lamps, fence and shelter in the appropriate colour scheme. Another idea might be to add a "bus shelter" but retain the old shelter, with the windows and doors boarded up, as if awaiting dismantling. It would be a shame and a hassle to lose it but that would be representative of the modernisation process, not quite complete.

Pete

beat me too it - I was going to suggest exactly this idea!

Yeah sorry about delay, since previous update the domestic scene got a bit mad when I applied and subsequently got a new job so SJ was on a back burner for a while, work has (slowly) restarted on the make over, the station area has been relaid, new fencing and lights (currently non working, but will be electrified in due course) have been installed, still to do are the installation of the new station building, finish off the forecourt area, tidy out/roughen up the vegetation, other silly little jobs and new signage.

All of which will need to be in place for the 8th & 9th October when it is being shown at the Wilmington Show near Dartford, Kent.

Pics to follow, thanks for your continued interest.

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

Some pictures of progress on SJ...

post-6974-0-48912500-1317141844_thumb.jpg

Corporate image is coming, don't fight it!

post-6974-0-43370400-1317141926_thumb.jpg

New fencing, signs (to be enlarged) and lights.

post-6974-0-87508800-1317142036_thumb.jpg

New shelter in place.

Still enough to be getting on with, replanting trees, laying new pavements, street furniture and so on.

More soon!

Kevin

Its defonatly coming along, i hope you wont be using pacers to replace the DMU's like the seemed to do on the branch lines of the West Country!

Looking good.

Chris

A pacer/skipper would fit...

However, at the moment I rather like running 153s, so that's better, isn't it?

More pics...

post-6974-0-06349600-1317930224_thumb.jpg

37419 on route familiarisation duties.

post-6974-0-68255100-1317930306_thumb.jpg

Eyes right towards the station area.

post-6974-0-37278200-1317930501_thumb.jpg

Eyes left towards the fiddle 'yard'.

More pictures to reveal.

SJ had a successful debut since rebuilding and under my ownership at the Wilmington show on the weekend just gone.

Few lessons learnt...

Framing, the layout needs to be framed with hidden lighting, this will improve the presentation considerably.

Backscene, needs replacing, with what?

DCC, sound and constant lighting a must so as to make a basic layout, slightly more special.

Anyway pictures...

post-6974-0-02195900-1318268716_thumb.jpg

The layout set up and ready for action.

post-6974-0-01087600-1318268832_thumb.jpg

A short ballast train on layover during a 'possession'.

post-6974-0-18167200-1318268943_thumb.jpg

LUL engineering works extended westwards?

post-6974-0-46914400-1318269041_thumb.jpg

My new toy for the weekend gets a run, straight from the box, hence no buffer details, and after all the fun of having to stick the broken floodlight back on!

post-6974-0-74450500-1318269198_thumb.jpg

'Black Beauty' on layover, shame it didn't perform better on the weekend, bit juddery at slow speed, wheels cleaned, axles oiled, still not as good at the RR version, any suggestions?

post-6974-0-06693900-1318269353_thumb.jpg

NR 31233 on the stops, why no surround to the high intensity headlight Hornby?

post-6974-0-12002100-1318269457_thumb.jpg

'Reggie' awaiting the 'off'.

post-6974-0-52363300-1318269565_thumb.jpg

The 'Ritz', SJ style!

post-6974-0-52980800-1318269654_thumb.jpg

Step back to the 80s, must be summer for SJ to see a two car unit running, I think this was just before a babe in arms grabbed hold of one of the cars and fortunately only derailed it, otherwise a four foot drop to the ground would have been forthcoming!

post-6974-0-63630600-1318271272_thumb.jpg

Bubble car celebrates GWR150.

All in all, a great start to my exhibiting life, many thanks to Erith MRS for the invite and to my friend George for his support throughout the weekend, hope you enjoy the pictures.

Kevin

Archived