Bachmann warship motor

D605Eagle

I have a Bachmann BR green warship which was bought new when they were first released. It ran superbly, and probably amassed no more than 5 or 6 hours running. It then got put away in its box in the attic since about 2003 (I cannot remember the exact year) until I got it out today. Now it sounds like an angle grinder when it runs, it also will only go slowly. I have removed the motor from the chassis and its quite stiff to turn, and it sounds like something is loose inside it. Has anybody else come across Bachmann motors disintegrating internally, or have I just been very unlucky. I dare not try the maroon one I got at the same time! :(

Cheers

Jim

Possibly one of the internal magnets has come unglued?

I'd dissect it, since it is useless in in its current form.

Bachmann USA uses many of the same internal parts in their US locomotives that Bachmann Branch Line uses in their British models.

You'd be surprised at how similar an HO Baldwin Shark and 4mm Class 44 Peak are on the insides! biggrin.gif

If the folks in Barwell can't help, there's always here:

http://estore.bachma...dex&cPath=66_68

Best Regards,

Pete

Hi jim, I had a similar problem with my Bachmann Warship that had been stored for 8 years, (made high pitched squeal and barely moved) when i ran it recently, Turned out to be lack of lubrication in gear towers! Cleaned old congealed white factory grease out re-lubed with Labelle oil, now runs smooth and silent. Hope this helps regards Matt...

I think you have simply been very unfortunate. Never a hint of trouble from any of the dozen of these standard can motors in my Bach diesel models, the oldest of which have done a lot of running since purchase roughly 15 years ago. One thought relating to storage in an attic, could it have been subject to extremes of heat and cold? Both are liable to contribute to adhesive failures. The highly standardised nature of the internal layout mentioned by Pete makes it likely that the motor wil be readily available as a spare.

Bachmann USA uses many of the same internal parts in their US locomotives that Bachmann Branch Line uses in their British models.

You'd be surprised at how similar an HO Baldwin Shark and 4mm Class 44 Peak are on the insides! biggrin.gif

Best Regards,

Pete

That sounds very probable, I'll cut it open and look because like you say, its pooped as it is!

Hi jim, I had a similar problem with my Bachmann Warship that had been stored for 8 years, (made high pitched squeal and barely moved) when i ran it recentely, Turned out to be lack of lubrication in gear towers! Cleaned old congealed white factory grease out re-lubed with Labelle oil, now runs smooth and silent. Hope this helps regards Matt...

Its out of the loco. I did think of that at first, but the towers are well lubed and run freely.

I think you have simply been very unfortunate. Never a hint of trouble from any of the dozen of these standard can motors in my Bach diesel models, the oldest of which have done a lot of running since purchase roughly 15 years ago. One thought relating to storage in an attic, could it have been subject to extremes of heat and cold? Both are liable to contribute to adhesive failures. The highly standardised nature of the internal layout mentioned by Pete makes it likely that the motor wil be readily available as a spare.

Your probably right. Trouble is I have a load of other Bachmann diesels up there too...I'm scared!!! LOL

Best Regards,

Pete

Pete, your a ruddy genius! I carefully removed the flywheel from one end and then released the tabs to extract the armature, and there was one of the magnets flopping about! I glued it back in with wicked strength superglue and it now runs like a wee sweety. :D Thanks! Also after what you said about the motors been comon, I checked out a pennsylvania center cab switcher I have in bits and low and behold, same motor even though thats a split chassis design!

Thanks again, you've saved me a load of money!

Cheers

Jim

Pete, your a ruddy genius! I carefully removed the flywheel from one end and then released the tabs to extract the armature, and there was one of the magnets flopping about! I glued it back in with wicked strength superglue and it now runs like a wee sweety. :D Thanks!

You are quite welcome. smile.gif

I try to keep my stock in locations with stable temperatures. As was mentioned above, the dissimilar expansion rates of various materials can put a strain on adhesives. That said, I really don't believe loose magnets in motors happen that often, I've only ever experienced one failure like this, can't remember who made the motor. And I've had stock in the attic from time to time.

Hopefully, instead of temperature extremes, you had a motor made on a Friday afternoon- there simply was a poor bond from contamination or lack of adhesive.

Hopefully, instead of temperature extremes, you had a motor made on a Friday afternoon- there simply was a poor bond from contamination or lack of adhesive.

I think you might be right, because there was very little orriginal glue in there, and it looked like old evostick, brown and stingy! :huh:

• 1 year later...

Just a quick update on this, My Maroon D817 from the same era has just failed the same way. This time I cannot get either of the flywheels off the shafts, so I've stolen the motor out of the Yank switcher mentioned above.

Archived