Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

• RMweb Premium
On 18/02/2020 at 20:55, gordon s said:

Andy, I have asked before, but ET is a ‘gauge wars free zone’ and I don’t want my thread descending into arguments about choices of track. I’m very happy with my choice as I’m sure you are with yours. Please just respect those differences and let’s just enjoy the hobby.

I want this thread to be a gentle diary of my endless attempts to build something that will bring me untold pleasure in my later years of life. Discussion and disagreement of track standards just devalues this journey, so I really would appreciate it if you could have those discussions elsewhere.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss........:D

Well said Gordon. We all have our preferred modelling standards and methods. 

Surely the most important thing is that we as modellers enjoy what we are doing, it is only a hobby.

• Like 2
  • Agree 12
  • Thanks 1

Just had a catch-up on the ET thread. And although I am at the "hesitant returner" stage of competence (I am up to soldering my first power feeds onto my PECO set-tracked Inglenook), I always find your trackwork a joy and suddenly want to rip up the code 100, find the relevant pages in your thread and start producing my own track! Inspiring is the word to use.  But common sense kicks in - finish what I have started, then maybe in the future I can start thinking about OO-FS and building my own points!

Looking forward to future updates!

Steve S

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Just had a catch-up on the ET thread. And although I am at the "hesitant returner" stage of competence (I am up to soldering my first power feeds onto my PECO set-tracked Inglenook), I always find your trackwork a joy and suddenly want to rip up the code 100, find the relevant pages in your thread and start producing my own track! Inspiring is the word to use.  But common sense kicks in - finish what I have started, then maybe in the future I can start thinking about OO-FS and building my own points!

Looking forward to future updates!

Steve S

Nobody was born the perfect competent modeller. although some seem to think they were.

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

And I use it on my bike, squeaky door hinges . . . 

and now it seems, in the modelling room too!  Thanks Baz.

I have some old 70s Hornby that hasn’t been run since late 90s so I can try it on them.  Any idea if it’s OK on Hornby and Lima plastics?

Paul.

It seems to be quite safe on plastics.

• Thanks 1

Whatever is in that, and WD40, is brilliant at softening glue on sticky labels that are otherwise a pain to remove. A quick wipe over with paper towels then removes the "solvent".

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

Just back after 9 holes in the wind and rain. Pleasant it was not...

Wouldn't have minded, but they made us endure two hours in a hard blowing wind with continual drifting rain where despite wearing waterproofs guaranteed to keep out the worst, we all ended up cold and wet.....and then they abandoned the competition.....:D

Railway modelling has a lot going for it. You're out of the weather, amongst friends and warm and dry.

Just got to get the log burner lit and then it's back to building pointwork.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Andy Reichert, does get a bit repetitive and thus boring after awhile, I don't think he understands our track building mentality or at least he doesn't want to. I think Martin is very patient with him.

Edited by Siberian Snooper
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3

Your track together with the 00-SF S&C looks superb .... I'd like to emulate it one day but have to finish building the house first which is two year behind schedule due to contractual difficulties with a double glazing company!

As for being lot drier where you are, it is absolutely throwing it down here in West Yorkshire.

Have fun.

Ian

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Best way to play at weathering is to get some plants and a selection of brushes, as well as thinners and t-Cut for the worst case scenaior and have a ply - use photos for reference and you'd be amazed at what you can achieve

This B17 was Apple Green before I sprayed it LNWR Black and added numbers. I CBA to line it out, but got out half a dozen different paints and sobbed tiny little spots on then dry brushed them to create patterns 

The theory is that if steam could leak from anywhere, it probably would, followed by calcite deposits, and the general build up of rust and grime just carried on day after day

Worst case if you screw up , stick it in a placcy bag with modelstrip!

IMG_1823.jpeg

• Like 5

AH Gordon I do agree but will plead historical accuracy! 

My father rather egged me on to make it more and more tired and rundown, based on his memories of the early '60s

The first house he and my mother owned in Edinburgh backed onto the laundry and goods yard at Joppa, where there was a continuous procession of various 'J's and standards. It also saw the ECML running through, so there was a terrific selection of stock and locos on display.

I started out going for the ex-works look, but once I'd explored weathering he took a real interest in the model I was building. Sadly he passed on 12 years ago, but his fascination with he railway would have seen him totally at home here.

He finally got round to building his own first model railway after my mother died. He was 86 with two cataracts and started a 10' x 18" model to fit in his study, based on a fictitious branch line on the Isle of Arran. Given the available space he also chose 'n' gauge!

Despite the challenges and constraints, It made him happy, and even now I smile remembering the delight with which he showed me how he'd managed to build this thing, get it all wired up and run a loco plus 3 carriages from one end to t'other!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

40 minutes ago, gordon s said:

I'd rather remember the late 50's, early 60's when sheds took pride in their locomotives, than the end of steam when few bothered.

To be fair, Gateshead took pride in the mechanicals of their locos, just not so much the outside :biggrin_mini:

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Clearly all the management need hanging ... golfing jolly indeed!

Gordon, can ask what the two PCBs are on the side of the new section that you've added?

Enjoy your golfing jolly .................... ruining a good walk, get dog, great fun!

Ian

PS Eventually it stopped raining and today has been full of sunshine ..... it won't last!

Those are the NCE Switch 8’s. Just two Wires from the ECoS to an accessory bus and then two wires to each NCE panel. Each panel includes 8 switches, each of which will control up to two Tortoise motors. I’ve still got he scars from molten solder dripping on me whilst laying on my back under previous layout builds and trying to solder wires,, so self preservation kicked in.

Eventually, I decided to go the full DCC route, so each Tortoise is wired into the bus for polarity switching. This was done in the general wiring phase of each module with the board upside down on the bench. Having now decided in favour of DCC control of pointwork, I simply had to cut the two power leads to each point motor and add a 2 way WAGO connector to each wire and then run two wires back to the Switch 8. 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/2-way-lever-connector-222-series-pack-of-50/97689

No soldering and no risk to life and limb. The big plus is if  you have a reverse polarity on a Tortoise motor, it takes seconds to flip open the cam and insert the correct stripped wire.Another few seconds programming via the ECoS and I can set up routes easily covering the four main lines, five platforms plus a bi directional bay each end and a goods relief road.

I wIsh I’d done it years ago. As things progress I shall move into signalling and they will also go via the Switch 8’s. I’m fairly sure they can be part of an interlocking system and that will add an additional  element of signal box control.

I’ve mounted the control PCB’s on the side plates for ease of access and wiring, but they will eventually be hidden under a ‘roof’ of scenic work from track bed level. This could be higher than the track bed in creation of a cutting or lower when an embankment is required. Either way they will be hidden from view but still accessible.

Disappointed to lose the inner line, but it had to be done and hopefully things will. Be running again in a week or two.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Changing subject I thought I would look through some of the earlier videos of ET to see how smooth the locos and coaches go over the various turnouts. The answer is very smoothly.

I did notice however that on plain track one of the locos yawed side to side presumably due to the plain track being RTR at 16.5mm. It did not suffer this so much through the turnouts. So I can sort of see a benefit to adopting handbuilt track throughout with reduced gauge plain track to match the crossings.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

But he can't have one, because the topic has just been locked.

You can send him a PM Martin.

48 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

and not for the first time wonder whether to continue with RMweb.

If anyone should wonder whether to continue with RMWweb, perhaps it should be, er, someone else? ^_^

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

55 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

Polybear wrote in the "fixing 00" topic:

But I do lose my cool when a topic to which I am contributing is locked for no good reason. Chris White has just made a post to which he is entitled to a reply:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/149985-fixing-00-turnouts-for-modern-00-drifting-standards/&do=findComment&comment=3851254

But he can't have one, because the topic has just been locked.

I'm very angry, and not for the first time wonder whether to continue with RMweb.

Martin.

I don't know what that guys problem is. He pops up all over the place spouting the same rubbish and won't listen to anybody. I'm just ignoring him in future.