Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

Thanks Martin. I fully understand where you are coming from and it always surprises me doing searches what does pop up. Sadly as the info is already out there, I can't do much other than take sensible precautions, but I really don't want to be in a world where no one helps or supports others for fear of being found out and scammed. I always try not to include too many personal details, but vague information is of no help to anyone and just adds to the ton of erroneous information out there already.

What a sad world we live in......Thankfully there are many more of us that care than those who don't.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

It's easy to give away personal information without realising it. For example if I say "it was nice and sunny earlier but it has just now started raining", coupled with the fact that I made this post in the UK at 10:38 on 19/12/2020,  my location can be narrowed down quite accurately.

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
typo
  • Like 1

Gordon

For all the criticism of Social media - much of which is justified - I do believe it can be a power for good.

I'm a member of several groups  on Facebook. each of which provides a wealth of support to the members, many of whom feel like a large extended family. Three of these are around my lung disease one is a pet rehoming charity, several are for bikers, and one is for ex servicemen who also ride bikes. IN the last one we know we have prevented several suicides and been the  catalyst for helping many get help.

Here, we're a band of (mostly) old codgers who share an interest as well as a ton of life experience, and if you can't turn to mates like that, then who can you share it with?

As they say int he biker groups - "we've got your back 'Bro"

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

54 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

It's easy to give away personal information without realising it. For example if I say "it was nice and sunny earlier but it has just now started raining", coupled with the fact that I made this post in the UK at 10:38 on 19/12/2020,  my location can be narrowed down quite accurately.

Martin.

That cloud be anywhere in the UK - remember what they say - One day -  Four Seasons!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, gordon s said:

Now the fascinating bit. The liver is in 8 sections and they want to leave just 2 & 3. They have a complex calculation to determine the volume your body needs and if 2 & 3 can provide that, surgery can go ahead without delay. If it can’t, then they will seal off the bits they are going to remove and redirect the blood flow into the remaining parts until it grows to the correct size and then they can continue with surgery as planned.

Now, that really is interesting.

Despite my glib remarks earlier - which you took in good humour - this is all good to hear.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

That cloud be anywhere in the UK

Yes, but every single one of them is on the radar.

A quick check, and -- the precipitation level at my location at 10:35 today was 0.5mm/hour. 5 minutes earlier at 10:30 it was zero.

Martin.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

Yes, but every single one of them is on the radar.

A quick check, and -- the precipitation level at my location at 10:35 today was 0.5mm/hour. 5 minutes earlier at 10:30 it was zero.

Martin.

Therefore you must live in Places then, because according to the BBC weather report this morning it said there would be scattered showers in places,

• Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Right enough of this. A gratuitous loco shot, just to show I'm up and pottering about. I must have a word with the cleaning department as it appears a lot of dust has settled in the last 3 weeks......:D

I'm very happy with the new lighting as it allows so many more options on all the main parameters of photography in terms of ISO, aperture, exposure and shutter speed. I have much to learn.

DSCF1428.jpg.eeb0162aa843aeea57ab81049b9b221b.jpg

Some rigorous testing needs to take place immediately.  Does the dust affect adhesion? Are the pick ups compromised? Are all the stock ok running on the layout? So much testing to do!

Baz

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
On 19/12/2020 at 15:15, bigwordsmith said:

The perils of buying on eBay

Although the price was good, I wonder if I should have been more suspicious of the delivery costs.

Now how the blazes am I going to get that in my loft?

DCF9221D-984B-4A0B-BF5A-CA7E8367396A.png.8b8a3f7d67ced0af10e87e3cdd7cc0c1.png

A friend sent me that joke earlier, I replied that if was delivered by Yodel they'd throw it over the fence....

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

Hi Gordon,

Nice to see you building some more S&C, they look fantastic. I haven't got round to building anything for myself yet, I'm still building the house and if that goes much slower we'll be going backwards but enough of that and back to your trackwork, as I say it looks fantastic, 00 gauge SF 16.2mm at the crossings, did you ever consider EM gauge? I'm not having a dig or anything I just interested to know what stopped you going that route. Of course EM gauge would necessitate the adjustment of wheels on your locos and rolling stock but I can't see that fazing you too much having seen you messing about quartering(*) the wheels of a 9F a few years ago. Nevertheless, ET looks superb and I am eagerly awaiting the signalling plan, I think you’ve mentioned previously that you would have to brush up your knowledge of signalling but I’m sure there are plenty of experts on RMweb that will be only too willing to give advice.

(*) I hope that’s the correct term!

Keep up the good work and very best wishes for the New Year

Ian

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 19/12/2020 at 15:15, bigwordsmith said:

The perils of buying on eBay

Although the price was good, I wonder if I should have been more suspicious of the delivery costs.

Now how the blazes am I going to get that in my loft?

DCF9221D-984B-4A0B-BF5A-CA7E8367396A.png.8b8a3f7d67ced0af10e87e3cdd7cc0c1.png

Caveat empore    the description sometimes dosent match the goods.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• gordon s changed the title to Eastwood Town - Hobbyist/Purist and all stops between......:-)
  • RMweb Gold

Gordon,

only just caught up with news of your new ‘challenge’. (We swapped thoughts about Dibond panels a while back).

Although 2021 starts with this challenge, let’s hope it just gets better and better.

regards

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Gordon,

Thankyou for getting back to me;

1 hour ago, gordon s said:

Of course having built 70 turnouts for ET, it’s too late to even consider a change.

I certainly wasn't suggesting that you rip it up and start again ........ that'd be crazy;)

If I can get things running in an acceptable manner, then I’m happy to live with the compromises.

I think I'd be over the moon if I could achieve half of what you have achieved with ET, it's looking superb!

Good luck with the reset of the build.

Ian

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• gordon s changed the title to Eastwood Town - We're gonna need a bigger board.....:-)
  • RMweb Premium

That's some classy pointwork there Gordon as usual.

Imagine how big it would be in O gauge.

All the best for the New Year and let's hope they can sort your health issues out without too much interference from the (blasted) virus.

I've got a round of chemo treatment starting at the end of this week. Fortunately we've had a new cancer centre opened that although connected to the main hospital is a bit out on a limb which should hopefully reduce the risk of the virus getting in.

I consider myself fortunate because my last round some five years ago gave me no side-effects although the six treatments were each three weeks apart. This time they're weekly but at least there's only four. Maybe they're rushing them in case the virus pops its head in.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

That crossover looks great on the board . I'm just learning Templot at the moment so I can start building something once I get loft clearance from the household authorities. I'll be using Peco and SMP bullhead plain track and hopefully just build the turnouts and short stretches of plain line. on that though as it'll be big.

Good luck with the results though the waiting is the worst. And you too Ray.

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Took a bit longer than expected as sport on TV kept getting in the way. Two down and three to go.....

One C10 crossover which takes up all of 45" in length, but I guess that's the price you have to pay if you set 36" minimum radius and you need the inner curve to meet that dimension.

DSCF1452.jpg.66c741f88b89950191fcddedcd05e290.jpg

All gone very quiet on the health front but hoping to hear more today or tomorrow when the MDT get together to discuss the results of all the tests. The PET scan threw up areas of concern, but they still don't know if it's cancer or my immune system reacting to the high bilirubin levels in my blood. Last examination was on New Years Eve when they took four biopsies from the lymph glands under my left arm. They're hoping these samples will give them a better idea of what's going on. It's the waiting that gets to you no matter how positive you are.

Me, I just want to get on with things and get stuck in as soon as possible. I know, good things come to those who wait......:drink_mini:

It looks so graceful and makes good use of curved tracks.

All the best for the medical side

• Agree 1