Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

• RMweb Gold

In my thoughts and prayers too, Gordon. My leg surgery this weekend doesn't bear comparison with your forthcoming op but it's great at a time like this that the NHS has time for other things than Covid.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to all of you for all your notes of support and best wishes. I'm determined to get through this and hope the next few months go to plan. Lovely to hear from you, Pete, even with your Covid troubles and 18" of snow.....:D

I have a month in which to get some things done and hope to get all the new lights up and in place in the next week. Once that is done, Pete, I will shoot some video of various locos and stock that are currently tucked away in boxes. Right now the light on the back straight is so poor, the quality of any pics or video would be compromised, so give me a few days and I'll get something up for you to see. Whilst in hospital, I was doodling with the shed and traverser layout and may make some changes there to improve the gradients and visual appeal. Don't panic, none of that has been built yet and everything that is running today will still be there, plus the new crossovers.

Still undecided what to do with my A2/2. The colour still grates with me and the build quality is somewhat suspect, but it runs so well. I have some loco's going to Tom Foster for weathering and feel sure he can work some magic on it to tone down the green and give it an accurate weathering to reflect the conditions typical of the late 50's. That will cost a few bob, so will have a chat with him to avoid throwing good money at a hopeless case.

Out of interest, I do have some original Johnsons Klear that I have never used. I don't know if I airbrush it on or just paint by hand. Any recommendations as to how to apply to get a decent finish? Of course, once done I can't return it, but there is risk that any replacement won't run as well as the one I have. It's really that thought that has lead to the indecision.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

I had visions of painting the whole loco and tender, so what do you mean by "You don't need a lot to cover a large area though".

Edit: Sorry Baz, I think I misread your comment, so just wanted to check I do the whole loco body and tender. Does it dry very quickly or do I need to put it away somewhere?

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Good luck and best wishes Gordon. This is at the John Radcliffe right? 

It's one of the best in the world for this sort of surgery if not THE best. We will keep you in our prayers nonetheless.

Regards Lez.

Thanks Lez, I’ve been under the Radcliffe for my immune system issues for 25 years and funnily enough it was only a routine blood test last November that flagged this up in the first place. The cancer group are all in the Churchill and I’m now under their wing. I have been very impressed with their expertise and have no doubt I’m being treated by experts in this field.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, gordon s said:

I had visions of painting the whole loco and tender, so what do you mean by "You don't need a lot to cover a large area though".

Edit: Sorry Baz, I think I misread your comment, so just wanted to check I do the whole loco body and tender. Does it dry very quickly or do I need to put it away somewhere?

Yes it dries reasonably quickly depending on the temperature of the room you use it in.. as it is originally designed for use on parquet floors it doesn't dry instantly. I put mine under a dust free box to let it dry. Don't use it on white paint though.. it does go "yellowy" in sunlight after a fair length of time.

I use mine to stick windows into coach sides(!)

Baz

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Yes it dries reasonably quickly depending on the temperature of the room you use it in.. as it is originally designed for use on parquet floors it doesn't dry instantly. I put mine under a dust free box to let it dry. Don't use it on white paint though.. it does go "yellowy" in sunlight after a fair length of time.

I use mine to stick windows into coach sides(!)

Baz

I find it dries very quickly such that I leave the brush in the pot and put a second coat on after 30 mins. I get lots of small bubbles after I apply the Klear - don’t worry they disappear as it dries.

Andy

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• gordon s changed the title to Eastwood Town - Let there be light....Part 2...
  • RMweb Premium

Great news Gordon..long may it continue!

Lighting looking great as well...suppose I need to bite the bullet and do it in my loft as well

My dowlighters are along the centre of the cieling so i just need to fit new longitudinal lighting..

Baz

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Glad to hear that you have had some good news on the medical front and I hope that such news continues to be forthcoming.

On the train set front the approach to the mpd along the side of the main lines has the makings of being like the northern approaches to the cross. I hope you can resolve the perceived difficulties with the MPD itself in a satisfactory manner.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jonathan. There are still a few areas that need attention where there are a few dips/bumps, but whilst time consuming, they are not that difficult to level out.

More to the point, did your leg surgery go to plan? I hope it all went OK and you are getting plenty of rest.

• Like 1

Glad to hear you have good cause for optimism, Gordon.  Look forward to a chat sometime soon.

Cress and I are thinking of you.  

ET is looking great!   The running is very much as I have come to expect from your handiwork.

best wishes,

Iain

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, gordon s said:

Thanks Barry, what you guys didn't know on Saturday was that I only got back from the hospital about quarter to four, so it was all a bit touch and go to get on line at 4pm.....

Now I have a little more light, here's an update for Pete showing the current state of play. The bridge is simply something I lashed together to check out feasibility of access to ET shed, but is likely to be replaced once that part of the design is finished. I grabbed hold of four loco's so probably have a complete miss mash of capabilities and a couple of loco's are ex works and will be weathered when I get time.

I'm revisiting the shed and storage access and have some ideas that are currently being kicked around in Templot. I'm quite keen not to lose visibility of the back of the layout so want to avoid blocking off the view with buildings or stored trains at track level or above. It may need some careful planning to achieve everything or a compromise will be on the cards. 

That is what we have been waiting for. I hope you are proud of your work.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, gordon s said:

Thanks Jonathan. There are still a few areas that need attention where there are a few dips/bumps, but whilst time consuming, they are not that difficult to level out.

More to the point, did your leg surgery go to plan? I hope it all went OK and you are getting plenty of rest.

All good in the leg dept, Gordon so far. OP was Saturday am. Dressings change on Thursday. A bit sore in the op site but the donor site is virtually pain-free, so getting there. Also had jab yesterday and waterworks check-up today. Thank God for the NHS. Managed a bit of soldering to engine kit yesterday.

• Friendly/supportive 7

Glad to hear it all went well and I'm with you, Jonathan. The treatment I have had from the NHS has been outstanding, particularly when you consider the COVID situation. Both hospitals really had control of the situation with very strict segregation and COVID tests every few days. Shame there were no visitors, but totally understandable. The next stage may be tougher for the family as I will be laid up in ERU (Enhanced Recovery Unit) for 10-12 days and doubt I will be able to use my phone for a few days.

Take it easy for now as a few more months will see us out in the garden bathed in sunshine and the last year will be a distant memory.....:sungum:

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

I donated gallons of blood yesterday as part of a "Clinical Trial".. you will see mine by the BR Green or LMS Red colour...only managed half an hours snooze in the MRI yesterday.. they kept telling me off for snoring!

Hope it all goes well Gordon!

Baz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

17 hours ago, gordon s said:

*snip*

Take it easy for now as a few more months will see us out in the garden bathed in sunshine and the last year will be a distant memory.....:sungum:

So that will signal the start of your 2021 Heron season, Gordon?

The videos last year were fascinating, I have to admit.

Scott

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3