Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

• gordon s changed the title to Eastwood Town - Spot the difference with K3's......

Hi Gordon .... can I have the..., only joking of course!

We all know that at sometime in the future life comes to an end, three score years and ten was the norm at one time, both my parents passed at that age so what hope for me but life style changes and the three score years and ten is easily surpassed nowadays and a healthy attitude can help. Is the glass half full  or half empty?

I think you are very prudent to catalogue all your stock, the same as having your affairs in order, it doesn't mean your going to pass away tomorrow but rather less to be concerned about which is less of a pressure, why put of until tomorrow what you can do today?

Sure you have a big operation looming and I certainly hope all goes well with it but I also think you have a very positive attitude and from what you have said previously you'll have a good team undertaking the op ..... you'll be fine and if you start to doubt it just remember the Monty Python song "always look on the bright side of life" !

All the best

Ian

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

The Duchess is a thing of great beauty! Is it a DJH one or a model loco one? I have far too many of them but.. who cares?

Yes the K3 "big" kit has lots of spare bits which can be converted into another K3 and will still leave 2 sets of cab side etches to play around with. Not sure if Squires are still doing the addon kit now?

Fingers and toes crossed it will all go well on op day..then a bit of recuperation time.. a bit more weathering can be done.. or just more stock testing?

Baz

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• gordon s changed the title to Eastwood Town - You wait ages for one, then two come along......
  • RMweb Premium

Get some lead in it Gordon.. the ones on Carlisle weigh in at 650gammes+ and make moving Larry Goddard built coach rakes look dead easy(!).  My latest one has been weighted up  for use on Shap.. it is  still clean and is still green... next one will be a maroon one.. then .. perhaps.. a Blue one (!)

956729355_DuchessCleanedcap.jpg.f73ef96a5d3e3ed79ac1967ecc7ff11e.jpg

I did this one for Carlisle as "shed cleaned".. it was built by Mike Edge and painted by Larry. The weathering was used to get rid of some of the chips to the paintwork .

My maroon one will be like this one...

Baz

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, gordon s said:

Hi Barry. It's one of a pair....well you have to, don't you...;)

Both are DJH kits, built, painted and weathered by Graham. My memories were always of well cared for loco's on The Royal Scot and The Caledonian, so I asked for both to be lightly weathered.  This is the second one, 46240 City of Coventry.

No doubt Iain will be pleased as Nottingham was at Camden from '57-63 and Coventry from '48 -'63, so the odds are I would have had the pleasure of travelling behind them both on my summer holiday to Glasgow from Euston.

There may be more pics in the next few days.....;)

Now yer talking! Another die-hard Duchess fan checking in. Never mind those weird A2 monstrosities, a big Stanier red 'un is the real business. Magnificent machines.

I went to university at Nottingham so 46251 had to be one of mine. Just need the other 37 to go with it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, gordon s said:

so if anything should go wrong with my forthcoming surgery

Being pragmatic and not maudlin, there is probably more chance of a car accident finishing you off on the way to hospital.

Personally, I'm awaiting your return to see if this train set ever gets finished, or if a few days lounging round in the wards gives you ideas about another direction!

Mike.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

or if a few days lounging round in the wards gives you ideas about another direction!

... whatever you do don't mention Bastille, I did it once I think I got away with it;)

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Gordon

Fox now do Footballer plates with a "ball" incorporated. One of mine (Grimsby Town) is just flat.. teh other has the "balls"  see link below:

Darlington

Not cheap but they look really good.. looks like some muddling tokens must be coughed out by me(!)

Baz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, gordon s said:

You must be a mind reader......:D

One of the dangers of doing little, is you get more time where your imagination wanders freely, but reality soon kicks in when you realise just how much time is involved in building a layout.

Truth is once all the junk is cleared away upstairs, I can visualise open scenery down the back of ET which will change it’s appearance completely. Removing some of the original track to accommodate the new shed and storage will also open up space around ET station and again it should take the appearance of an industrial town with a decent rail service to other parts of the country. I will stick with it and once fit again, the several new crossovers and single slip will be installed and then more progress will be made. I’ve held off their installation as that means no running for weeks and the truth is I’m enjoying seeing various loco’s out of storage and trundling around.

You will get to go to the ball, Cinderella.........;)

Oh gawd, here we go again!

Mike.

• Agree 1

Rest easy Mike, nothing will change beyond what we talked about a month or so ago. Reversing the storage roads means removing the old access across the stairwell, so that’s two tracks removed and moving the shed around then frees up the whole back straight section and allows me to accomplish a view of main lines on an embankment that will drop down to a river/canal if similar.

All of that has been pushed to one side to allow running sessions. To fit all the new crossovers etc will mean dismantling and moving the boards into the room to work on in comfort.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks for the info re Darlington, Baz, just what I had hoped for. A set of plates duly ordered, so they will be here when I get back.

This really has been a trip down memory lane for me to recall those wonderful days when life was simple and we were blessed with living, breathing steam locos every day. 

I could have stood at the the end of ET platform every day, such was the variety of trains passing through thanks in no part to Rule 1......:D

I thought both of these would be staying with the Midland side of ET, as they were based in Carlisle Kingmoor during the mid 60's, but just noticed the shed plate on 70002 says 31B so that's March which would place it '59 and pre date its move to Carlisle. Both look good at the head of a fast express from ET to the Capital.

I certainly saw 70002 Geoffrey Chaucer at Kings Cross or Liverpool Street as it was on shed at Norwich and March in the late 50's before crossing over to Carlisle in the '60's. Personally I prefer the later tenders with the high sides as shown with 70048 The Territorial Army, again from Carlisle, celebrating 50 years of the TA.

Both DJH kits from Graham and approaching 20 years old. Nicely built and painted and soon to be pressed into daily service. Seems they both need a good dusting after being packed away for so long.

DSCF1708.jpg.8624d4f8cc149d642f5af21d964b2b53.jpg

2048155292_DSCF1712(1).jpg.f623a0c256f661b6104bea410cc96f2c.jpg

One day I'll get round to painting the platforms and brickwork, but track changes are the first priority.

Here's the real thing. A beautifully turned out Britannia at Virginia Water on a steam special. 7th June 2012.

738699704_post-6950-0-87452800-133906582407_18_41.jpg.6ee023511e1d304a28b89a56c2b8d988.jpg

Apologies for the self indulgence of posting pics of locos, but I haven't seen them in a while and need to take pics to catalogue them.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

strange that.. I have one of my DJH Britannias in bits on my work bench as I am about to use a Comet Detailing kit to add on some of the "missing bits" which Graham has already added.  ET looks a lot better with Brits and Duchesses Gordon  :jester:   all you need are some Black 5s, the odd Jubilee and some Scots and.....

Baz

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, gordon s said:

Thanks for the info re Darlington, Baz, just what I had hoped for. A set of plates duly ordered, so they will be here when I get back.

This really has been a trip down memory lane for me to recall those wonderful days when life was simple and we were blessed with living, breathing steam locos every day. 

I could have stood at the the end of ET platform every day, such was the variety of trains passing through thanks in no part to Rule 1......:D

I thought both of these would be staying with the Midland side of ET, as they were based in Carlisle Kingmoor during the mid 60's, but just noticed the shed plate on 70002 says 31B so that's March which would place it '59 and pre date its move to Carlisle. Both look good at the head of a fast express from ET to the Capital.

I certainly saw 70002 Geoffrey Chaucer at Kings Cross or Liverpool Street as it was on shed at Norwich and March in the late 50's before crossing over to Carlisle in the '60's. Personally I prefer the later tenders with the high sides as shown with 70048 The Territorial Army, again from Carlisle, celebrating 50 years of the TA.

Both DJH kits from Graham and approaching 20 years old. Nicely built and painted and soon to be pressed into daily service. Seems they both need a good dusting after being packed away for so long.

DSCF1708.jpg.8624d4f8cc149d642f5af21d964b2b53.jpg

2048155292_DSCF1712(1).jpg.f623a0c256f661b6104bea410cc96f2c.jpg

One day I'll get round to painting the platforms and brickwork, but track changes are the first priority.

Here's the real thing. A beautifully turned out Britannia at Virginia Water on a steam special. 7th June 2012.

738699704_post-6950-0-87452800-133906582407_18_41.jpg.6ee023511e1d304a28b89a56c2b8d988.jpg

Apologies for the self indulgence of posting pics of locos, but I haven't seen them in a while and need to take pics to catalogue them.

Last time I saw the Brit, she was languishing on a siding at Arley, looking decidedly unloved.

Best of luck with the op, Gordon.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, gordon s said:

Apologies for the self indulgence of posting pics of locos,

Not needed! These photos are excellent, would it be rude of me to request some more (upon your return)?

• Thanks 1

I remember as a youngster riding on an early DMU on the St Albans flyer (Watford Junction to St Albans Abbey), as you say sitting in the front seat looking over the drivers shoulder, the seats were more like bus seats than coach seats !!

Edited by hayfield
  • Agree 2