Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

• RMweb Gold

Such sad news that another great modeller has gone far too soon. It was Gordon's inspiration that got me into Templot and hand-built turnouts. My current layout could not have been built without help from true gents like Gordon. I hope as a fitting memorial his current turnouts will find a good home as well as the beautiful buildings made by the also late Allan Downes.

May Gordon rest in peace and rise in glory.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Terribly sad news. Like some others on the Forum, I never met Gordon but his modelling skills were always something to cherish. This is a massive loss not only to his family and friends but to us all on RMWeb.

Sincere condolences.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Very sad news.  I never met Gordon but a few years ago I bought a loco from him via eBay.  Needless to say it arrived in perfect condition and ran faultlessly (still does) but he was most concerned that everything was OK and followed up a couple of times  to check I was happy with it.  As many have said a true gent and one of the good guys who will be sadly missed.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I was rather dreading this news but knew it would come eventually.  Like so many others I only conversed with Gordon via RMWeb and email.

To receive a note from Gordon thanking me for being a blood donor came somewhat out of the blue and really showed to me the sort of character that Gordon was.  I did suggest to him that when he decided to buy a golf buggy and painted it in GN livery and insisted on it having an 8' driving wheel with a small cab and boiler meant in all probability that he had been a recipient of my blood and there was no going back.

I like many others here will miss him, but at the same time I feel lucky to have known him even though in just a small way.

Thanks also to @BoD for keeping us informed, it is appreciated.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Thanks also to @BoD for keeping us informed, it is appreciated.

Seconded: his grief will be so much more than for most of us, and this can’t have been an easy task.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

As many have said, very sad, but not unexpected news about Gordon, he now has no pain, and hopefully can rest in peace in the knowledge that he has done his bit to make his Country a better place.

RIP Gordon.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I'm so sorry to read of Gordon's passing. I'd admired his modelling for years, but it was only fairly recently we actually spoke. He messaged me regarding the weathering of his locomotive fleet but sent his apologies that they'd have to be delayed due to him going into hospital.

Well instead of raising a glass in memory, the next loco I weather for myself, will be done in your honour Gordon. 

Rest in piece Gordon and my sincerest condolences to his family at this time x

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I'm another lurker on this thread, was happy to just keep reading about his superb work on Eastwood Town. His work steered me to want to create something in 00-SF when I finally get round to a layout. I was just catching up this evening on a few weeks of worth of content and was floored when I to BoD's post about Gordon. Very very sad news.

My sincere condolences to Gordon's family and friends. RIP good sir.

• Like 3

Not unexpected, but still saddened by it. Death is the one thing we cannot outrun. But even though never finished this thread reminds us to never stop trying to surpass what we have done before. I'm sure he would have preferred to finish it, but I'm also sure he was equally content in trying to continually improve on his previous layout.

RIP. Gone to the land of golf,00-sf and no gatso.

• Like 2

Devasted to hear this news. Like most others, I only knew Gordon through RMweb but I have found this thread and his work inspirational. Moreover, it was thanks to Gordon's encouragement, after posting in this thread having been a lurker for years, that I started my own thread about Dale Junction and I am very glad that I did.

RIP Gordon; my sincerest condolences to his friends and family.

Ting..Ting........Ting.

• Like 6

So Sad.

A really sad time for the modelling community. It’s been so warming reading all the recent stories of goodwill about Gordon.

I never met him but having followed this thread he had a real talent for modelling and was a well loved person both inside and outside of the hobby.

My thoughts are with his friends and family at this truly difficult time.

RIP Gordon.

Edited by LDM34046
Grammar
  • Like 3