Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

I never had the chance to meet Gordon in person but he was incredibly supportive, helpful and patient and took so much time to share his knowledge and experience with me by PM and through this thread. I finally had the chance to say hello face-to-face during the ERs virtual meet-up which was lovely. 

My thoughts are with Jackie and Gordon’s family, as I know are all of those who knew Gordon through the forum. A really sad day, losing someone with so much more to achieve and with the energy and outlook of someone half his age. 

Gordon, you’ll be missed deeply. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I always enjoyed Gordon's thread and it is so sad he never got to complete the project. RIP hopefully there is a great railway in the sky for you to build.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Immensely sad news to wake up to. I'm another who only knew Gordon through RMweb, but greatly enjoyed his posts. In modelling terms he threw away items that I can only dream of building, such was his search for the best possible layout. His traverser was a work of art and something I still hope to emulate.

R.I.P. Gordon.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Incredibly sad news.

Like so many, although we had not met, I considered him a friend, and imagined the day post-Covid where we could meet face to face.

He was an inspiration, and will be greatly missed.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Scott

Perth, Australia

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

22 hours ago, BoD said:

Sadly Gordon passed away earlier this morning. 

Very sad news.

I’m not quite sure what to say other than, I do hope that Jackie can take some comfort in the knowledge that Gordon was a much loved member of the RMweb community and that he will be greatly missed.

I also want to take this opportunity to thank BoD for keeping us informed about Gordon.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

Such sad news and my condolences to Gordon’s family.

Like many on here I never met Gordon but followed his modelling avidly and took inspiration from it. I think it was Gordon building his own track which pushed me over the edge into building my own track in N gauge. Thoroughly enjoyable exercise and a very successful outcome. RIP sir. We will all miss you. 

Brian

• Like 1

I'd deliberately not checked my ET notifications for a while, looking forward to a Netflix-style binge-read catch up, and earlier I found the earliest unread post and started my catch up...

I am at a loss for words...

RIP Gordon, and may I also add my condolences to his family and friends, and to all of you here on RMWeb who knew him.

Steve Sandiford

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I never met Gordon personally, but communicated with him a few times because of work.

Always a gent.

As golfers, we were hoping that we could "swap a round" one day.

Alas, that will not happen on this earth.

One day, Gordon, we will meet and play the perfect round.

RIP.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Despite having been pre-warned this news was coming, it's still such an emotional shock. Like many others, I only new Gordon through RMWeb and much admired his first class modelling - such a shame that ET will not now be completed by its creator. As I get older, having recently celebrated my three score and twelve, I am very conscious that no one lives forever but it is always difficult to accept this fact when hearing such news. It's not the first time I have lost a RMWeb friend and no doubt it won't be the last. Still always sad and difficult to accept. 

Deepest sympathy and heart felt condolences to Gordon's family and close friends. 

Brian. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12

This is not the news many of us wanted to hear. I joined rmweb after a show at chasewater many years ago  and have never posted a comment, but i feel i must say goodbye Gordon. He made us laugh with some of his comments, gave us ideas, he made us think about design and build trackwork plus a whole host of other things. The local timber merchant will miss him as much as us!! How i will miss looking forward to the next episode of eastwood town and the man himself.

I send my condolences to his wife and family, but i hope that somewhere in the great beyond there is layout that needs some help and advice from the man we will miss.

Rest in peace Gordon S

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold

Such sad news, condolences to his wife, family and close friends. 

I look forward to his hard work upstairs when I arrive in the future. 

Rest in peace Gordon, 

RMWeb has lost a great  modeller and the world a good man. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

What a great inspiration Gordon has been to so many. I would never have binned Code 100 and started building my own turnouts. He was always on hand for support and advice. 

I will certainly miss the updates on Eastwood Town. A fantastic layout in the making. A huge loss to our modelling family. 

My condolences to all of Gordon’s family and friends. He will be a huge miss.

Edited by DLPG
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4