Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

• RMweb Premium

It occurred to me that the wisdom, skill and knowledge of Gordon will continue to live on, in part at least, thru' his Eastwood Town thread.....

Thank you, Gordon.

• Like 2
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, polybear said:

It occurred to me that the wisdom, skill and knowledge of Gordon will continue to live on, in part at least, thru' his Eastwood Town thread.....

Thank you, Gordon.

That would be fantastic but unless Andy York pins this to the top of the page - maybe with an introduction, then I’m afraid it will just fall down the listings  much as Tetley’s Mills has done.

Brian

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, polybear said:

Thank you, Gordon.

38 minutes ago, Dragonboy said:

That would be fantastic but unless Andy York pins this to the top of the page - maybe with an introduction, then I’m afraid it will just fall down the listings  much as Tetley’s Mills has done.

If I mention Andy like this @Andy Y maybe he will pass by here. Pinning the topic would be a marvellous tribute to Gordon.

- Richard.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• AY Mod changed the title to Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.
  • AY Mod pinned this topic

Very sorry to learn of Gordon’s passing.

He lived not far from me and I met him a couple of times when he started using ECoS and asked some questions on this forum. I was privileged to see his layout "in the flesh" and remember the astonishing standard of his hand-built track.

As everyone has said, he will be greatly missed. Condolences to his family.

John

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Sad news. I only enjoyed contact with Gordon via this forum, being a step or two behind him in discovering Dibond as a control panel material. I learnt from his experience, which he generously shared. Like many others, I hope to continue to browse his topic and layout.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Does Gordon's family have a charity to which those of us who enjoyed his postings might contribute as our recognition of his special talents?  I had a personal correspondence with him about our shared love of (and frustration with!) football but I'd be very happy to remember him with a donation to a charity of their choice.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Stanley Melrose said:

Does Gordon's family have a charity to which those of us who enjoyed his postings might contribute as our recognition of his special talents?  I had a personal correspondence with him about our shared love of (and frustration with!) football but I'd be very happy to remember him with a donation to a charity of their choice.

Might get a quicker response from @BoD if we flag him.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, benjy14 said:

Today was my first footplate turn since Gordon's passing and I wanted to pay my respects in a small way

A nice touch there.

A 9 iron as well as the fire irons would have worked too...

• Like 10
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, benjy14 said:

Today was my first footplate turn since Gordon's passing and I wanted to pay my respects in a small way, so our locomotive (NGG16 #87) carried a small black ribbon in his memory. I doubt any of our passengers noticed but I knew it was there.

2092737114_RibbonforGordon.jpg.0ac478126a3e7aebd171bd7cafc86019.jpg

Beautiful thought.  
I must go, there must be a speck of dust in my eye causing it to water.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

RIP Gordon such sad news. Such was the interest and community commenting on the topic Eastwood Town I had to reduce my notifications from every post to daily back along otherwise my inbox would be full of nothing else.

Great tributes on here and the topic or is it a thread will be a lasting tribute.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

I think Gordon's greatest achievement with ET, was that he managed to actually complete the layout sufficiently that he was actually able to run the trains in the manner in which he wanted and he was able to have a play before he went for the op.

• Like 5
  • Agree 10

Unfortunately I really only stumbled across Gordon, and this thread early this year.

Nevertheless, it's hard not to be moved by the pages and pages of tribute to someone who was clearly a great man.

There is a verse from a Poem, called the last journey, which I find fitting in times like this.

Although in this instance, the whole thing would probably suit. 

There is a train waiting at the station
With a seat reserved just for me
I'm excited about its destination
As I’ve heard it sets you free..

And to quote his last post:

On 08/04/2021 at 03:14, gordon s said:

Onward and upward...

Oh look, it's just started raining..

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

I haven’t logged on in a while and upon clicking on one of my most favourite layout threads was truly saddened to learn of the passing of Gordon. I didn’t know Gordon at all but upon following his progress over the years with Eastwood Town you could tell he was a truly nice human. RIP mate

• Friendly/supportive 3

This news has absolutely struck me down...... so gutted... Gordon was such an amazing friend. I still remember so fondly meeting him PhilH and Eldavo at the pub....  You will be missed mate......

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Gordon’s funeral is next Wednesday, the 4th August.  Message me if you would like more details.

For those who have asked,  the family are asking for donations in lieu to the Oxford hospital that has treated Gordon over the years.  More details to follow once it has been set up.

• Thanks 10
  • Friendly/supportive 7

36 minutes ago, BoD said:

Gordon’s funeral is next Wednesday, the 4th August.  Message me if you would like more details.

For those who have asked,  the family are asking for donations in lieu to the Oxford hospital that has treated Gordon over the years.  More details to follow once it has been set up.

Hi BoD,

Thank you for keeping us updated about Gordon over the past months. You ask for us to message you for further details but perhaps my fellow subscribers to this thread, the same as I would ask that whereas you have told us that his funeral will take place on Wednesday could we ask you to inform us of the time. I would like to mark it with respect and a few minutes of silent contemplation!

Thank you

Ian

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Ian_H said:

Hi BoD,

Thank you for keeping us updated about Gordon over the past months. You ask for us to message you for further details but perhaps my fellow subscribers to this thread, the same as I would ask that whereas you have told us that his funeral will take place on Wednesday could we ask you to inform us of the time. I would like to mark it with respect and a few minutes of silent contemplation!

Thank you

Ian

Certainly.  Wrongly, I was only thinking about those who might be able to attend but, as you point out, others may like to mark the occasion in their own way.

The service starts at 11.30.  

There is the possibility that it will be streamed live but there are, as yet, no details.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Gordon’s family have arranged online streaming of the funeral and a webpage for donations details of which some of you have asked for.  Here is their message including the details…

For those of you unable to attend the service in person, it will be available to watch live online. You will be able to login to the website at any time to view a Test Webcast which we recommend you do in plenty of time before the service to ensure it’s all working ok for you.

Please see below for the log in details:

Username: kuxo8832 
Password: 848930 
Service Date: Wednesday 4th August 
Service Time: 11:30am BST

Viewing available from: 11:25am

We have set up a tribute page online which includes all details for the funeral, but also information about where we would like donations to go to in memory of Gordon, and how to donate. The site also serves as a place for people to post their own photos and thoughts of Gordon, so please do take a look and add anything you would like to share. We’d love to see them.

Tribute site: https://gordonstolliday.muchloved.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3