Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

Looking at our dining room table, I'm reminded there are only 196 shopping days to Christmas....:D

A typical day in ET world has its share of ups and downs and this morning has run true to form. Finally finished all the routes and was surprised my maths seemed to be way out with 96 routes reduced to 67. I should have sat up and listened to my maths teacher all those years ago...

DSCF1176.jpg.d7c5a1617dbb644cd0ae43300d9eb028.jpg

DSCF1175.jpg.0a4f7b47b0fa3e82b73f3b0e9563f0c6.jpg

One thing that did come out of this exercise was the need for several additional crossovers to improve operational simplicity. It will mean a bit of rework on two or three boards (mainly the one over the stairwell) but it will now allow every line to access every platform. That may seem daft when you have up and down lines, but storage is only accessible from line 7 at the top of the panel. Trains joining the layout will come in top right and then either continue and crossover all lines to 1 or 2 or stop in line 7 and then reverse back onto lines 3-4. Line 7 is normally the goods relief road, but it will allow trains to be held on this line until required and yet still allow all four main lines to continue running until such time the new train will join the layout.

Work on the mimic panel is progressing, so the electrickery came out of the box this morning and suddenly it was Christmas....

DSCF1177.jpg.e80a5adaa4052e8f178caafc7c7c6903.jpg

All was fairly easy to follow until I realised the DCC addresses for each output automatically increase by one. This threw me at the beginning as I set the first output as 101 and when I thought I'd programmed the second one as 102, I was surprised to see the first set of led's change colour. This isn't a problem if you have consequential numbering of your DCC addresses, but in my wisdom I set the left hand approach starting 101 and the right hand end starting at 201. The shed was going to be 301 etc. I guess a lack of understanding on my part when setting addresses, but it now means either using additional boards or reprogramming all the addresses into sequential numbers. Of course that will mean reprogramming all the turnout decoders into sequential order as well.......

Not the end of the world, but I don't understand the logic of not being able to programme individual addresses to each output. I'm sure there's a reason for it, but the downside of this set up quirk could have been made clearer in the sales literature.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gordon s said:

I should have sat up and listened to my maths teacher all those years ago.

Are you sure? If you didn't listen, how do you know it would have helped? ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
On 19/12/2019 at 18:33, gordon s said:

I'm an impatient soul when I'm on a run and sometimes my brain works quicker than my computer. When looking at a large print run where I only need a few sheets from the top of the plan, I click on 'next row' numerous times and often find I've gone one row too many.....:D

The only way I know out of that is to cancel the print and start all over again....slowly.

Is there an easy way of going back to the previous row if you've gone too far?

Hi Gordon,

I've returned to this after 7 months -- what else is a lockdown for? smile.gif

I said previously it was all too difficult. Well yes and no. I did in fact at that time do quite a lot of work on an entirely new all-singing page printing function. In the end I binned it as it had got just too complex and tangled to be usable.

So I have gone back to my original 25-year-old code and added a simple clickable list of page numbers. By clicking in the list you can reset the next page to anywhere in the list, forward or back:

2_180945_420000000.png

Then use the buttons normally to restart from there, or to print just the one page.

In the next Templot update soon.

p.s. isn't Amazon getting Amazing? My battered computer keyboard finally gave up the ghost last night. Ordered a new one about 11pm. It was here before lunch today. I couldn't have got it any quicker by going straight out after breakfast and buying one.

cheers,

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Thanks for all of the above Martin. It will be a welcome addition knowing I can go back as well as forward when printing. I hope my wandering around Templot and its back alleys is useful. I really don't expect you to change things every time, but user feedback has always proven invaluable during my working life.

I know people have their moans about Amazon and taxation, but their service is amazing. 

I ordered a box spanner for around £8 and it was the wrong size, so I went to return it and saw it was a 'no return credit'. They immediately credited my account with the £8 and said keep the spanner. Ordered the correct one and it was there the next day. Similarly I bought a tap seat cutting tool and it was beautifully made, but I had to open the sealed packaging to use it.

A bit of old fashioned engineering....

176783880_Screenshot2020-07-18at15_50_51.png.6fc249b06e253e3283e01871c25873aa.png

Sadly our tap was too deep to access, so I gathered all the bits together and put them in a bag. They gave me full credit as soon as it was booked in at my local post office....I wouldn't use anyone else (John Lewis excepted for TV's and computer bits).

With Amazon Prime, goods always arrive the next day. I know you pay £79 a year for the service, but delivery charges alone would be much more that that over a year and you get Prime TV rolled in as well.

I appreciate they are a huge organisation and have great customer ethos, but I have now come across many much smaller suppliers who have the same attitude on customer service. I ordered a filter and pump for our washing machine late on Thursday night from this company.

https://www.ransomspares.co.uk

It arrived by Royal Mail around lunchtime today. None of this Monday - Friday are working days, so expect delivery on Monday. Now fitted and problem solved. Saved having to fork out for a new machine and this one is 14 years old. Bags of life left in it now.

I found the receipt and in 2006 it cost £479. Today, a similar spec machine from the same manufacturer/supplier is £329......

14 years inflation and the price has gone down by 31%.....

It's a mad, mad world we live in......

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, gordon s said:

. Whether it needs to be this big is the real question.......

I suppose it depends on where you are going to stick it. 

Seriously though, it’s looking very good.  From where will you be operating and need to see it?  Mine is on a wall above the fiddle yard so it can be seen from anywhere around the layout - and so needed to be quite big.

Did you renumber accessory decoders or bite the bullet and buy another board?

Edited by BoD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gordon,

Looking very good.

It's bit late to ask this question, but I will anyway. smile.gif

I notice that every LED is on. What are the red LEDs for? Is it not sufficient for a LED to be either on or off to indicate whether a route is set or not? That way they can all be green (or white, or blue), your current-draw will be halved, and the dazzle-factor much reduced. A route will be set if there is a row of lit indicators along it, and not otherwise. It's much less stressful to recognize whether an indicator is on or off than to make your brain process the colour of it.

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, BoD said:

I suppose it depends on where you are going to stick it. 

Seriously though, it’s looking very good.  From where will you be operating and need to see it?  Mine is on a wall above the fiddle yard so it can be seen from anywhere around the layout - and so needed to be quite big.

Did you renumber accessory decoders or bite the bullet and buy another board?

Thanks BoD and Barry.

I had to renumber all the turnouts consecutively within the mimic panel and used the three boards plus 17 additional MY3's for the crossovers. Played golf this morning so sat in a hot bath to ease the aches and pains and it did cross my mind to use smaller led's with the DCC Concepts boards. Of course there is a optimum size between what looks right and what I can see, so I'll play around a bit more and see what develops.

One good thing is that all the routes via the ECoS all work and the right led's illuminate. What I now have to do is reprogramme most of the NCE Switch 8's that are connected to the turnouts or there will be numerous derailments or shorts as the wrong turnouts are thrown.....:D

As a wall mounted display, I can't fault it, but the jury is still out when it is used in front of you. As it stands you still have to follow the lights through rather than it be immediately obvious the route chosen. You cannot see the whole route from side to side without moving your head across. More work is required...

I now have this this thing in my head with a perspex panel and flush mounted led's that are 3mm diameter rather than the 9mm in the pic. Bit like the development of ET, so no one should be surprised......

It's the physical diameter of the led's and the spacing in a crossover that is dictating the double track spacing and hence the overall size.

Here's a head on shot which shows a little more. Routes haven't been specifically seen so don't try and follow the lights...:D

DSCF1184.jpg.cd33fd4731c566fea8a35d98f19b3277.jpg

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

Hi Gordon,

Looking very good.

It's bit late to ask this question, but I will anyway. smile.gif

I notice that every LED is on. What are the red LEDs for? Is it not sufficient for a LED to be either on or off to indicate whether a route is set or not? That way they can all be green (or white, or blue), your current-draw will be halved, and the dazzle-factor much reduced. A route will be set if there is a row of lit indicators along it, and not otherwise. It's much less stressful to recognize whether an indicator is on or off than to make your brain process the colour of it.

cheers,

Martin.

Thanks Martin, that's where I started....:D

My original order was just green leds, but I thought that green/red would be better and show a definite red for no entry, so returned them to Hatton's for exchange. Undecided now and I take your point, so may try and disconnect the reds to see if that improves things. Swapping over led's is an option and may offer a solution.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Remember you wouldn’t just be disconnecting the reds but the red/greens, which would leave one route of each turnout not indicted at all.

Unless you are just going to disconnect them to see how it looks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's what I meant. Just to see how it looked with just greens showing. That's really just part of the problem and doesn't change the physical size. Just measured the led's and the bezel in 9mm. My double track centres are 31mm, so that means 6.5mm between the bezels. I can't go much smaller than that as they will be on top of each other.

A long, long time ago (cue Don Maclean). I played around with this small panel and here the led's are just 5mm diameter. Some of them have popped up out of the holes, but you get the gist.....and just plain green for the route set.

None of this is a criticism of the product, just my personal view.

IMG_6284.jpg.e99f58936a52a4536529d93019e51479.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gordon,

Just doing some housekeeping on the Templot web site, and I came across this. For some reason I thought of Eastwood Town:

https://templot.com/info/wooden_point_motors_1956.pdf

:)

I have no recollection of ever seeing it before, or where it came from.

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

Hi,

regarding using green / red or just green led's, my brother used both on his control panel, and when concentrating on operating his layout the red gives a positive indication that that particular route is not set.  It's totally clear and spotted, unlike an unlit green green led, which could be easily missed if you just glance at the panel.  Just my opinion.

Roja

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Just measured the led's and the bezel in 9mm. My double track centres are 31mm, so that means 6.5mm between the bezels. I can't go much smaller than that as they will be on top of each other.

Hi Gordon,

If you get the panel screen-printed on solid perspex (i.e. at a sign-makers, rather than a digital copyshop), you could leave round transparent "holes" in the track lines, and mount the LEDs underneath on a separate board. Then it doesn't matter what size they are. You could even file flats on the bezels to fit close together. A bit of card could be glued between any that are very close to prevent light straying to the wrong "hole". You might need a darker colour than white for the panel background to prevent stray light showing through.

You would have a smooth wipe-clean panel to spill your coffee on, and you could make it much smaller.

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Is there a quick way to reduce the size of my Sketchboard drawing, Martin?

At the moment the page size is 1000  x 300 and just for fun I thought I may try 500 x 150. I tried changing the page size and that did what it's supposed to do and changed the page size, but didn't change the drawing.

Exporting the track plan alone was straightforward onto a smaller page size, but I'd like to keep all the graphics so I can really get a feel for it. I have a hundred or so small led's and bezels kicking around, so may just have a bit of fun for the heck of it....

I get easily distracted.....:D

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gordon s said:

Is there a quick way to reduce the size of my Sketchboard drawing, Martin?

Hi Gordon,

Sure, but take it slowly and methodically.

1. WRITE DOWN the current page size. Divide the width by the height and WRITE DOWN the aspect ratio.

2. save a backup of the original SK9 file.

3. decide if you want to include the original track diagram in the size change. If so, allow all items to be selected.

4. select all the items you want resized. You can drag a fence rectangle around the whole lot, and/or shift-click each one. You may need to do that to get the track diagram included.

5. make sure you have selected all of them before proceeding.

6. click edit > combine items menu item. You now have a single item containing everything.

7. now on the modify tab, WRITE DOWN the figures showing for width and depth. If you didn't include the track diagram, these will be less than the full page size because of any margin spaces you have allowed in the design.

8. on the page tab, change to the new page size. It needs to have the same aspect ratio as before, or very close, otherwise you will end up with elliptical LEDs.

9. you can now resize the combined item to fit the new page. You can either drag the corner of it to fit the new page, or change the width and depth figures directly. If dragging, the aspect ratio will be locked, and circular items will stay circular. If entering dimensions it won't be -- it is up to you to change each of the dimensions by the same factor to preserve the aspect ratio. After resizing, you will probably want to move it a bit too for the best fit to the new page.

Or if the new aspect ratio is exactly the same as before, and you included the original full-page track diagram, you can resize quickly by clicking the edit > resize item to fill page menu item.

10. now click edit > split items to regain access to each one.

11. save another SK9 file.

cheers,

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Out of interest Gordon for the mimic panels on the Winchester club's layout I used 3mm flat top LEDs simply pushed into holes in the panel and secured with a tiny dab of glue from a hot glue gun. They are plenty bright enough to be visible from a reasonable distance.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gordon,

Looking good. :)

If it was mine I would be toning down the platform colour a bit. At present they are distracting attention away from the tracks, which is what the panel is intended to be about. But your eyes may vary, of course.

Martin.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, gordon s said:

Templot never ceases to amaze me that you can pull up the overall plan from months ago, add in a few crossovers, print them out and find they still line up with track that was laid some time ago.

I think Martin would be extremely worried if that were not the case!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, gordon s said:

The blue led's will match the ECoS and only show the route selected.

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I'm a bi-colour red/green man myself!

Irrespective of colour, I reckon that just illuminating the route will make the panel much easier to understand.

• Agree 3