Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

• 3 weeks later...
  • gordon s changed the title to Eastwood Town - Building a 00SF C10 curved crossover....
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Gordon,

Glad to hear that your surgery was a success and I wish you well, with your ongoing convalescence. I hope that the biopsy results are also favourable.

Great turnout building as per normal, the only difference between your method and mine, is that I gap the sleepers and test them with a meter before I start soldering the rail to them. I find it takes less time to find unsolicited shorts, due to a whisp of copper across a gap.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

That all makes sense....but when did common sense win over force of habit......:D

I gap all mine when I’ve finished using the edge of a slitting disc in my Proxxon drill. I make all the cuts as close to the inner rail as I can, the idea being it’s harder to see inside the layout and your eye is naturally drawn down the centre line of the two rails. I know the gaps should be filled, but find by offsetting them they almost become invisible once filled with paint. It’s back to what level of compromise you can accept and the return on time invested.

Edit: Forgot to say I split the gapping to make life simple. First isolate the frogs on both turnouts and then test for any continuity between the outer rails and the central crossing areas. Only once you test both crossings and have no continuity, do I slit the remainder. This splits the whole testing for shorts into manageable chunks and will save a lot of time in the long run. I did have an issue a few months ago where the sleepers were interleaved and I eventually found it was one sleeper touching both rails inside the supposed isolated part of the crossing. I have now moved the isolation cuts in the rails further away from the interleaved section and that solved the problem completely.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, gordon s said:

Once the vee is in place, add the wing rails and use the 1mm shim to set them correctly for 00SF. These are simply made from short lengths of rail. Place in position to get the flare position and solder. Using the same shim, you can align this along the rail to determine the knuckle bend position.

DSCF1475.jpg.94c9369ee915c2ab52e25f8edf7b6880.jpg

Looking at the above picture am i right in assuming that you bend the knuckle once soldered in place?

51 minutes ago, tender said:

Looking at the above picture am i right in assuming that you bend the knuckle once soldered in place?

Yes I do. The picture is slightly misleading as I took it before soldering the third joint just above the knuckle bend. It’s then very simple to align the shim along the crossing vee and then use a small pair of long nose pliers to make the bend in line with the drawing. Once the knuckle angle is set correctly, I solder the remaining two joints and then repeat the process with the second wing rail. Here I turn the shim to a vertical position where is acts as both the 1mm clearance for the wing rail and then doubles up to indicate the bend position.

Of course the drawing is only a guide as every piece of rail is set using gauges.

I’m sure it’s been said many times before, the knuckle bend is not a sharp bend, so doing it in situ provides a smooth knuckle that accurately guides the wheels in or out of the crossing.

image.jpeg.529ba819489cb6523f7d47f3a3abdeef.jpeg

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gordon s said:

I’m sure it’s been said many times before, the knuckle bend is not a sharp bend, so doing it in situ provides a smooth knuckle that accurately guides the wheels in or out of the crossing.

Hi Gordon,

Yes. The centre of the knuckle bend and the ends of the knuckle bend radius are marked on the Templot templates, but how you get there is up to you. It is always worth printing a duplicate copy of the template so that you can refer to details obscured by the timbers.  :)

knuckle_markers.png.b4ef01f7dc05232667f630186ec23516.png

But the actual bend radius, bend angle, and knuckle position are not critical. The three critical factors are -- the rails at the wing rail front must align with the vee rails; the flangeway gap must be correct alongside the nose of the vee; the flangeway gap must not be less than that anywhere else.

The knuckle bend radius can be customized in Templot. Here is a much longer knuckle bend, as used by some pre-group companies such as the NER. It works fine:

easy_knuckle.png.d87e638827e3a676904cf8fa12507a1f.png

cheers,

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gordon,

How do you find the Marcway timbers now?  ISTR that some time ago you mentioned that the edges weren't as nice as C&L, and the width could be a bit variable?

Thanks

Brian

p.s Good to see that medical matters appear to be going well :)

• Thanks 1

Very good indeed. They have completely changed their manufacturing process and they now use a similar technique to their range of pre cut sleepers. There are 100 sleepers per sheet or 25 4mm pcb strips. They are easily broken away from the surround and all the edges are sharp.

One thing I did notice is that the pcb strips are 1.2mm and the pre cut sleepers 1.45mm. No idea why, but as that’s just 0.25mm or 10 thou, it doesn’t appear an issue.

All are single sided fibre glass. Price wise, they are excellent at £13.50 for 18’ of strip. This was the pricing when the strips were separate, so by my reckoning, a sheet of 25 would be £18.75.  

Postage at £9.00 seemed a little on the high side, particularly as it came via Hermes, but the price of the strips was excellent so I just accepted it as part of the overall cost.

I would certainly use them again......

image.jpeg.60d691f99daf9526091799a6dac5ecad.jpeg

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• gordon s changed the title to Eastwood Town - Building a C10 curved crossover in 00SF.....
  • RMweb Gold

Couldn't agree more with your sentiments about having a go, Gordon. My first hand-built was copper-clad using a set of wagon wheels as a gauge! It was never meant for a layout, it was just to see what I could do. I went down the chaired track way but have never regretted building my own as I could have never built my current layout as it's all curved point-work. Hope you don't mind a photo.

DSCF8064.JPG.3915345c9a515edb1724737fb8b2dc9f.JPG

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Mind? Not at all. Pictures of hand built track are always welcome here.....;)

Some beautiful flowing curves Jonathan, that really can only be done with hand construction and Templot.

There was another reason why I stayed with pcb construction and that was the sheer number of turnouts within ET. I’m guessing the final plan has over 70 turnouts and whilst I have built one chaired turnout before, the sheer learning  curve to quickly and accurately build that number of turnouts meant I took the easy option. Knowing that Hornsey Broadway used pcb pointwork and I had never noticed before, just confirmed the decision was the right one for me.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks good Gordon.

Just a reminder that the 20p coin is for 16.2mm gauge and EM.

For anyone building 16.5mm gauge you need a bit more blade opening -- an unworn 10p coin is about right.

Exact scale (1.42mm) would be about 80% of a 20p coin, so it's nearer to scale than a lot of other things on a layout. :)

Martin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, gordon s said:

I file one side flat first, remove it from the jig and pull in back in line before turning it over and then filing the other side to the required planing length.

You seem to have filed the foot off the inside of the rail too. Was that intentional?

• Informative/Useful 1

Totally intentional as I didn’t know any different......:D

I refer my honourable colleague to my ‘Disclaimer’ statement, but will see if it can be done. Thinking about it, the rail end would be hidden within the solder blob holding the rail to the tie bar, so perhaps the effort may not be worthwhile from normal viewing distances anyway......;)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Totally intentional as I didn’t know any different......:D

I refer my honourable colleague to my ‘Disclaimer’ statement, but will see if it can be done. Thinking about it, the rail end would be hidden within the solder blob holding the rail to the tie bar, so perhaps the effort may not be worthwhile from normal viewing distances anyway......;)

It's not so much for viewing, it's to give the blade a bit more strength at the end. I'm sure @Martin Wynne or @hayfield can explain better than I.

• Friendly/supportive 1