Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

28 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Just noticed that Grantham is scheduled to appear at Southampton in mid January and I mentioned this to my good friend Iain, of Camden Shed fame. Haven't been to a show for a very long time, but Grantham is one of those layouts that's on my bucket list, so hoping the two of us will get in a car and venture south. It's all of an hours journey, but I'm sure we can can cope. It will be good to bump into a few fellow modellers, many of which I've spoken to on RMweb, but never met.

Be great to see you there Gordon - and Iain as well. I do know what he look like these days; would be good to put another RMWeb face to a name.

In the meantime - top ballasting:good_mini:

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Is that one of the largest sections you have to man handle about the place? it looks it with the single coach in the corner.

Ahh, the S word - You must mean subtle as in a subtle down hill left to right on a lightning fast green :-) Can't possibly be anything else

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Great ballasting Gordon. 

Hope the glof goes well!

I would have loved to see you and Ian at Southampton but I am away fro a while and will miss the show. Bugggrrritt!

have a great 2020!

Baz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pirouets said:

Is that one of the largest sections you have to man handle about the place? it looks it with the single coach in the corner.

Sorry Steve, forgot to answer your question.....Oops!

Both corner boards are quite substantial as I’ve tried to keep all the pointwork on a single board each side of the station. They are both of a similar size, approximately 4’ in each direction. The actual diagonal measurement from corner to corner is around 8’. I can just about manage them on my own, but this is the more difficult of the two as it has to go over the stair finials and then you have to somehow manoeuvre it over the stairs going down and the adjacent bullustrade.

It’s really an accident waiting to happen, so I don’t move it too often. The key is to get as much done as possible in the centre of the room and then move it. I have left access gaps across the corners which will allow me to do minor detailing afterwards, but wiring is best done with the board inverted on the bench.

There are times when I wish I’d built something smaller in the space.....:D

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gordon s said:

Our neighbours called round this morning with an interesting video. A couple of young guys dressed in black with scarves over their faces were picked up on their CCTV at 2.00am this morning. Seems they took a fancy to his car, but left empty handed. Fascinating to watch them deliberately walk down the side of the flower beds to avoid walking on his gravel drive.

Suggest to your neighbours that they introduce some security to their flower beds.  Simply Googling "North Vietnamese" would be a good starter for ten.....

• Funny 4

4 hours ago, gordon s said:

I keep finding things I didn't know I had and losing things I knew I did have....

This.

I have (or "had", as it were) a soft bristle brush I used to clean out my Greenkeeper static grass applicator.  Somehow during one of my sessions six months ago, it got put down in a less-than-logical location, and I've not sighted it since.

There will be real joy in the air, on the day that it finally remakes my acquaintance!

Happy New Year, and nice to see the steady progress, Gordon.

Cheers

Scott

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

This is the inverse illusion. Rather than your mind seeing something that doesn't really exist, your mind can't see something that does exist. This is why things often turn up right in front of you, happens to me endlessly. 

:D

Edited by Anglian
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Anglian said:

This is the inverse illusion. Rather than your mind seeing something that doesn't really exist, your mind can't see something that does exist. This is why things often turn up right in front of you, happens to me endlessly.

It's noticeable that we are all seeing the same bugs in the brain code. You would think the brain programmers would have fixed them, after all these millions of years. smile.gif

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, martin_wynne said:

It's noticeable that we are all seeing the same bugs in the brain code. You would think the brain programmers would have fixed them, after all these millions of years. smile.gif

You'll need to change your signature Martin:

"Templot; 40 years in the making. Brain; 3,000,000 years in the making"

;)

• Like 1

Hello Gordon,

I spent ages looking for my tape measure. the other week. After an hour or so my other half (boss) said " what is that in your hand?"

I was obviously just testing to see if she was paying attention.( wink nudge etc)

Getting older is a real pain some times.

trustytrev.:)

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, trustytrev said:

Hello Gordon,

I spent ages looking for my tape measure. the other week. After an hour or so my other half (boss) said " what is that in your hand?"

I was obviously just testing to see if she was paying attention.( wink nudge etc)

Getting older is a real pain some times.

trustytrev.:)

I've given up searching and just call "eyes"!
The missus comes and it is duly found usually within a minute or less!

Khris

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, kandc_au said:

I've given up searching and just call "eyes"!
The missus comes and it is duly found usually within a minute or less!

Khris

Yep, same in my work room...

Baz

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

On 04/01/2020 at 19:53, gordon s said:

Evening all....and a very Happy New Year..:D

Our neighbours called round this morning with an interesting video. A couple of young guys dressed in black with scarves over their faces were picked up on their CCTV at 2.00am this morning. Seems they took a fancy to his car, but left empty handed. Fascinating to watch them deliberately walk down the side of the flower beds to avoid walking on his gravel drive.

OK, we're tucked away a little, but not really had a problem before. I couldn't believe the brass neck of these guys. It's all on video, so he contacted the Police this morning and was told someone may be in touch. Please no political comments re our over stretched Police. We all know the why’s and wherefores, so here's hoping the situation improves and these types of crimes get reasonable attention once the manning levels improve.

Needless to say, I was up a ladder most of the day, sorting out our security light that had a faulty PIR sensor and used to be on and off most of the night, so it had been turned off. As always the anticipated 30 minute job, turned into a three hour one as the old cable wasn't long enough and was of flat section rather than round. Muggins was then up into the loft above the garage to extend the wiring with round cable. No idea who the previous electrician was as he'd lashed up a cable with a red, blue, yellow and green/yellow cores. The red had been left disconnected with insulating tape and a yellow was being used as a live.....otherwise a perfect job. He must have run out of three core cable, so used a four core cable normally used for two/three way switching. 

Job done and then back onto ET. Really hoping I can complete a couple of boards before Graham of Grantham builds the whole of the West Coast line from Euston to Glasgow with every station in between....;)

Nothing of any real significance to show other than the stairs have been crossed and gradients are being built. The right hand station board is now complete track and wiring wise and will be joined to ET station once I'm confident it hasn't got to be 'adjusted' because I've overlooked something.

DSCF0142.jpg.ddc8dc3da96e5845a5534b43e70cb7f1.jpg

DSCF0146.jpg.d4f1599c09668d07865fb15f5f10464a.jpg

Needless to say the mess just got worse.....:D

DSCF0144.jpg.fc13ab9b46df112545ba6f1e8e7200bf.jpg

I keep finding things I didn't know I had and losing things I knew I did have....

By the way, who's the wise guy that put me down for a wig advert?.....

I don't know what to praise first, the excellent track building, superb track laying or woodwork to cabinet maker standards.

As for loosing/misplacing things this happens to all normal people who do not suffer from OCD

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, hayfield said:

As for loosing/misplacing things this happens to all normal people who do not suffer from OCD

It's all very well saying that but I loose things all the time and I think I've got CDO, it's a bit like OCD but all the letters are in the correct order ....... as they should be!

But ... you're spot on with regard to Gordon's workmanship.

Happy New year to everybody

Ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your compliments, but I can assure you my pics hide a multitude of sins and things aren’t always what they appear to be........:D

My wife is convinced that I’m borderline OCD and I have to agree with her as I’m always lining up the remotes on the sofa and the cups have to go in their right place in the cupboard, so it doesn’t follow that those of us blessed, don’t lose things. I have been known to buy various tools only to find a few weeks later I already had one.

Still ballasting a board just 4’ long with four tracks and a crossover. Another hour should see it done and then it’s on to the next one.

I was golfing this morning and got home to see the Hornby announcement. I have no idea how they are going to manage to launch so many new models. Reminded me of one of the manifesto’s that promised everything to everyone.......;)

I was just waiting for the first comment ‘nothing of interest to me’........:D

....and I had to look up ‘steam punk’ as I had no idea what they were on about.....

Could be interested in the A2’s or a W1 as they both were running when I was a wee boy.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3