Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

Thought it was too good to last. B*gger returned again this morning with a vengeance. Protective screens are a work in progress, but the b*gger found a gap no more than 6" wide through the plants and air pump to get in under the wires. This one is X rated as one swallow and it's gone, whole.....

That was bad enough, but he came back again to dive in through the wires at the deep end to help himself to another.....I'd always thought things were secure at the deep end as herons tend to walk in. Electrification of the wires that end may be on the cards, but until then some more plastic netting is called for.

This last week or so, has made me wonder just how many fish we have lost before the camera was installed as we had no idea this was such an issue.

Control panel is out now until additional defences are installed. They may not be pretty, but something has to be done.

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Control panel is out now until additional defences are installed. They may not be pretty, but something has to be done.

How about eating the fish yourself first? That'll learn him. :)

5 minutes under the grill, and there's your breakfast.

Martin.

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Oh I do sympathise Gordon. I've had the whole pond cleared in the past, though I don't get visited often now, thank goodness. Mind you, some of my fish are now getting quite big again, and thus more atttractive, I suspect.  My nemesis is the tree rats. Like you, I have tried everything, placed barriers everywhere, and still they get through. They know all about the air rifle too, so the moment they see movement in the house they are off, but not for long. They also know I'm not going to get up at the crack of dawn like you, so they have three hours this time of year to do as they please.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Radio Controlled water squirter Gordon? Wouldn't hurt the thing but our local wood pigeon skedaddle if I point my water pistol at them!

Baz

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 24/06/2020 at 04:56, gordon s said:

Of course you could always start your own thread

Hi Gordon,

Thank you for the inspiration and encouragement. I've taken the plunge and started my own thread.

I hope you get your heron problem resolved...

Best wishes,

Ben

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gordon.

I have a 1/16 scale Tiger 1 that shoots airsoft plastic balls. It shoots them very very hard. The ammunition comes in plastic, steel and paintball. Won't kill the thieving bird but it will give it a nasty fright. Available on ebay for not very much money and available in different models if you don't fancy a German tank.

I don't have a heron problem, I don't think they can land on my patio and I've hidden my pond under a parasol so they can't see it. All they can see is workshop roof, parasol and flat. I do have a seagull problem but I have a net frame I lower when no one is outside and at night. I also have two cats who don't fish but do bird! The cats and the fish interact with each other too which is quite fun to watch. One of the cats has big webbed feet and loves water but they see the fish as part of the family not food. They see birds as food and will go for them but mainly bigger ones not little birds like robins or wrens. They get interested around blackbird and starling size and and will go for bigger birds like magpies and crows, they look on big birds as a challenge.

My Koi are getting too big for my pond but it's an above ground job and I've just ordered a bigger one so I have to rebuild the net frame and get a bigger parasol.

Regards Lez.

• Friendly/supportive 2

Evening gang......Hope your week has been better than mine......:D

Two years ago, I bought an OLED TV, which has been faultless until last Friday, when I noticed a blue line running right across the screen.

DSCF1160.jpg.478e5a80f2a390648fcc753d44bee75e.jpg

No problem as I bought it from John Lewis and it came with a 5 year warranty. Rang them and sent them some pics and they arranged for an engineer to be with us Monday. Thought I'd do a bit more research and found loads of articles/posts of OLED Screen Burn and it particular that LG and John Lewis had washed their hands of the problem and their warranty specifically excludes screen burn. On Sunday I noticed the blue line coincided exactly with the ticker tape news headlines that both Sky and BBC use, plus a large box on the left which says Breaking News. The more I read, the worse it got and come Monday morning I was set for a right battle royal with both the manufacturer and John Lewis. Unknown to me, this issue of screen burn has been going on for two years or so and like most forums, they were awash with draft solicitors letters etc from very unhappy buyers.

Come Monday, the engineer arrived, switched the set on, said it was screen burn and he would replace the screen. I asked if it would be under warranty and blow me, he said yes. Having seen costs from LG of over £1000, I was mighty relieved. It would appear all the bad publicity to both companies had made them re think, so one happy viewer....if it happens.

Just one word though. It would appear to be a very common problem with OLED TV's. LED'd fare better, but any fixed position, bright logo or a ticker tape that runs across in the same place, can cause a problem. Never occurred to me before, but no doubt the technical bods will now find a solution.

Seems they give with one hand and take away with the other......:D

Car went in for a service today and they found a nail in one of the tyres, but otherwise all was well. Had a call to pick it up and was just about to leave when a very sheepish and apologetic young lady rang to say I couldn't have my car as there had been a 'bit of an accident' and my car was damaged.....

Turns out one of the girls lives locally and went home for lunch to find her grandmother had had a stroke, so dials 999 and the paramedics take her to hospital. She returns to work and is asked to bring my car round for collection. Still shocked and upset (she hadn't told anyone at work what had happened), she goes to get my car out from the parking area and catches the rear bumper on a brand new car. Absolute panic sets in so she tries to reverse and floors the accelerator to whack the other side on another new car also awaiting collection today.

IMG_0268.jpg.c3704472a5f2962b17157a383740c1ce.jpg

Sorry about the knees.....

IMG_0271.jpg.fe8eb19cb1619cfb0056b0786761988f.jpg

Didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I heard the tale. At least I'd had my car a while. Nothing like having damage on the day you are picking up your new car......

I was happy to see all the damage is fairly superficial. They may fit a new rear bumper, but no major dents. They've given me a loan car and no doubt it will be another couple of week before I see mine again. Sad thing is this is the second time they have pranged my car. I know, find another dealer, but accidents happen and I've been going there for nearly 10 years. At least I got a brand new tyre as goodwill.....

Oh to be 20 again, without a care in the world....;)

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Some bloke had, had his new BMW 20 minutes when it got hit in the rear by one of our buses. He'd stopped on the hatching to go to the hole in the wall, blocking the road so the bus couldn't get get by, as he got back in the car the bus driver gave him some verbal,  so as he drove away and the bus followed he braked and then drove on and braked again, the third time he did it the bus hit him. The best of it was, there was an off duty policeman on the bus, who rung up his mates,  so not only get clobbered for both parties repairs he also got done for without due care and attention. I was driving the bus behind, fortunately I left a decent gap.

• Like 7
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I like the OLEDs and could possibly justify buying one ..but screen burn doesn't sound good. Glad to hear it is sorted. 

Car wise I had a Boddington who had a brand new Rover 800 Vitesse delivered to our factory. We wathen as it fell off the ramp and slowly turned onto it's roof. Took ages to get the new replacement. 

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Good on you, Gordon, for being so sanguine about it.  These things happen, but it's bloomin' annoying when they do.  For my money, if you trust the garage and they sort issues out fairly, I'd stick with them even if there are glitches.  I thought Butlins had ditched the knobbly knees competitions.

Alan

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Buhar said:

I thought Butlins had ditched the knobbly knees competitions.

Looks more like trying to push out gas when worried that there might be a follow-on...

(Known in our family as a “Thrapston”.)

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

I wouldn’t want a Thrapston......at least not in public....:D

Just found bullet points In the menu instead of an emoji. That’s a new one on me. I guess that’s what happens when using an iPad with sausage fingers.

As far as the other stuff goes, I couldn’t help but feel sorry for the poor girl who caused havoc In a matter of minutes. To damage three cars In one go on top of her personal issues must have been horrendous. At the end of the day, cars and other items can be repaired and getting wound up over these things does you no good at all. Probably one of the reasons we’ve taken up a stress free hobby like railway modelling......;)

Apologies for the lack of modelling content recently. In between dealing with the things life throws at you, I’ve been fitting the windows in my wife’s potting shed. I’m really wanting to get on with my mimic panel, but other things are taking priority right now.

Stay safe and well....

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Some bloke had, had his new BMW 20 minutes when it got hit in the rear by one of our buses. He'd stopped on the hatching to go to the hole in the wall, blocking the road so the bus couldn't get get by, as he got back in the car the bus driver gave him some verbal,  so as he drove away and the bus followed he braked and then drove on and braked again, the third time he did it the bus hit him. The best of it was, there was an off duty policeman on the bus, who rung up his mates,  so not only get clobbered for both parties repairs he also got done for without due care and attention. I was driving the bus behind, fortunately I left a decent gap.

I'll see you and raise you.....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8458607/Brand-new-Lamborghini-written-breaking-motorway.html

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, gordon s said:

I wouldn’t want a Thrapston......at least not in public....:D

Just found bullet points In the menu instead of an emoji. That’s a new one on me. I guess that’s what happens when using an iPad with sausage fingers.

As far as the other stuff goes, I couldn’t help but feel sorry for the poor girl who caused havoc In a matter of minutes. To damage three cars In one go on top of her personal issues must have been horrendous. At the end of the day, cars and other items can be repaired and getting wound up over these things does you no good at all. Probably one of the reasons we’ve taken up a stress free hobby like railway modelling......;)

Apologies for the lack of modelling content recently. In between dealing with the things life throws at you, I’ve been fitting the windows in my wife’s potting shed. I’m really wanting to get on with my mimic panel, but other things are taking priority right now.

Stay safe and well....

And I guess the car will come back sparkling and having had a full valet. Very good of you for being so understanding many would just overact. 

• Thanks 1

OLED panels are getting better every year as regards screen burn not only with the panels themselves but also with some of the software based solutions such as screen wipe.  It was huge problem back in the days of plasma screens as well especially when most of the satellite channels had brightly coloured logos at the top left or right.

John

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Herons.. it rang a bell.. then I remembered..

038Sqn.jpg.a55e2987247805d802a23c3cf401e98d.jpg

from Wikipedia.. my Dad's old squadron (38) has it as its squadron crest.. at one point they added a torpedo (he flew in Torpedo equipped wellingtons in Egypt/Libya) luckily the ones you have don't carry torpedoes. Or do they??

Baz

• Like 6

1 hour ago, aardvark said:

In the Battle of the Sexes, I, too, am a POW.

… and finally I understand the attraction of gardening, a means of getting rid of the soil from the escape tunnel!

Edited by Ian_H
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 8