Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

• RMweb Gold

The "how do I fill the corner" idea. At least it's better than a tunnel with a church on top as it does allow a bit of urban grime, which I always like.

Question? If they are sidings for this brewery, don't they need a trap/catch point to prevent wagons running onto the main line? Unless the sidings feed onto a loop with its own protection? Or are these sidings on a down hill grade so wagons would run away from the running line and not towards it?

As long as that goods siding (which Gordon refers to as 'a goods/relief/headshunt for the industrial sidings') has a trap where it joins the running line then no need to trap any sidings which connect into it.  In operational terms I would tend regard as a siding in order to keep things nice and simple with one or two signals in relevant places (where it joins running lines) and possibly noticeboards elsewhere.

• Like 1

Thanks Mike.  Just to refresh your memory, the bit I'm working on is top left.  The main lines are the two inner lines and the goods relief road/headshunt leaves the main lines bottom right.  If I understand correctly there should be a catch point just after it leaves the main line.

That will be much easier to add in that position.....:-)

post-6950-0-55737000-1521998250.png

• Like 3

I just had a thought, but you have modelled something most people miss off, and that is in steam days a lot of lines were main and goods, not fast and slow. The difference would be that goods lines were allowed permissive block working, so allowing more than one train in a block section at one time Vs the main, where absolute block working only allowed one train per block section at a time.

I know this is something to await signalling but it would allow more than one freight on the goods line at a time. But no passenger trains (ecs is a different matter).

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike.  Just to refresh your memory, the bit I'm working on is top left.  The main lines are the two inner lines and the goods relief road/headshunt leaves the main lines bottom right.  If I understand correctly there should be a catch point just after it leaves the main line.

That will be much easier to add in that position.....:-)

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-03-25 at 18.10.07.png

That will do nicely Gordon - depending on the direction in which trains run (there's a clue in the orientation of the sidings ;) ) it will either be a trap point or a catch point.  But, whichever, in this situation it would be worked in conjunction with the facing point leading into that line, so in effect as crossover.

I just had a thought, but you have modelled something most people miss off, and that is in steam days a lot of lines were main and goods, not fast and slow. The difference would be that goods lines were allowed permissive block working, so allowing more than one train in a block section at one time Vs the main, where absolute block working only allowed one train per block section at a time.

I know this is something to await signalling but it would allow more than one freight on the goods line at a time. But no passenger trains (ecs is a different matter).

What a line was called need not necessarily be an indication of its block signalling status and of course permissive working was allowed under certain circumstances for passenger trains on line normally used by passenger trains.  Whole big subject area and not one which has its place in this thread.   

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

that needs an awful lot of ballasting Gordon... but you can't contemplate that until a thorough testing of all track and stock has been undertaken :jester:

Baz

Thanks for reminding me..... :O

You're quite right though.  I've made the mistake before of fully ballasting each board as I went along.  This time I want to get each modular board up and running electrically on their own and then connect all the modules together.  Then it's a case of running trains around the loops whilst work goes on in the central section.

Once that's complete, I plan to separate each module in turn, paint and ballast the track plus add line side scenic stuff that will be areas that may be difficult to reach.

Of course after all these years, I may just run trains and say sod it.......

• Like 18

Wow, I’ve been in a coma the last few months (i.e. no thoughts of railways of any kind, working on other things like: Just about to build my own Longbow and arrows.......).

Are you including those sidings we discussed from “London’s East End Railways"?

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

Hi Pete, how's things in the US apart from the obvious stuff?

Hope you're keeping well. Scary thing for me is hitting 70 in few months time......:-)

Longbow and arrows? A yearning to be Robin Hood?

Those east end sidings are still in my thoughts so watch this space....

• Like 1

“You make me feel so young........” Only 66.  Still playing overly loud, obnoxious guitar - working for the  local Police Dept., part time - ‘cos I want to! Longbow is to exercise my upper body strength - weights are boring.

I certainly give you massive respect for your Eastwood Town stamina. Your track just keeps getting better.

Been watching a lot of Tottenham over here - very attractive football!  Son, though, is the underrated one. Just about given up on Arsenal (noise is my Dad rotating in his grave).

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pete, how's things in the US apart from the obvious stuff?

Hope you're keeping well. Scary thing for me is hitting 70 in few months time......:-)

Longbow and arrows? A yearning to be Robin Hood?

Those east end sidings are still in my thoughts so watch this space....

Just watch out with the Driving Licence renewal Gordon - Swansea in my experience with age 70 renewal didn't qualify for the word efficient.  Telling me about 5 weeks before my licence expired that they wanted me to have a medical didn't fit in at all well when the surgery worked to a 5 week booking horizon for such medicals.  The surgery  pulled out the stops to get me an appointment in time but Swansea then took over a fortnight to consider the results, I actually got my new licence 16 days after the old one had expired, not exactly an imposition as the offspring could take the memsahib out to the shops but definitely an inconvenience.

Thanks for your kind comments as always, Pete. There's something about building pointwork and track laying that I find quite therapeutic. Jackie treated herself to a Sonos system, so I have a small speaker upstairs with great sound quality. Digital radio is very good plus my own play lists of music from my 60 odd years of enjoyment. Shut myself away from Trump, Putin and Brexit and enjoy the art of soldering.

The trouble with track is that it requires wiring. Spent all morning on this module and barely scratched the surface.

post-6950-0-46844600-1522499180_thumb.jpg

Now I'm moving into unknown territory. Judging by the batch codes on the Tortoise motors, I must have bought them in 2005, but back then I shelled out for 60 of them direct from the US. Each version of ET has always reused the motors, but I always had two boxes (24) of the 60 that had never been used. Today saw one of the last two boxes opened and four taken out. By my reckoning that must mean 40 turnouts have been laid and wired, so now I'm further into building a version of ET than ever before.....That must be cause to open a beer.

Thought of you the other day as I stumbled across some documentaries on the music business called "Hits, Hype and Hustle". Well worth trawling the web to watch it. Probably loads of guys you remember.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09nxs1k

The other thing I saw was a set of three documentaries on the influx of foreign players into the UK and the years in the 70's and 80's when English clubs dominated the Champions League or European Cup as it was then. As a Spurs boy first and then moving to Ipswich, it was great to see Ardiles, Villa, Muhren and Thijssen, but boy, did they look old.... :O

...then I looked in the mirror....

Great memories guys. Worth digging it out if you have a few hours to kill.

https://www.itv.com/hub/footballs-foreign-legion/2a5528a0001

Thanks for the reminder on my driving licence, Mike. I had the official reminder a couple of weeks ago and it was all painless until the point they told me to tear up my old pink and green licence and send it back to Swansea.... :O

Couldn't bring myself to do that. I'll wait a few weeks and see what happens and if it turns up, I'll send my old one back. Seems I lose the ability to drive a van bigger than 3500kgs or a mini bus without taking a medical. I was peed off losing anything off my licence, but then thought I'd never driven either in 50 years, so I guess no hardship.

Just as long as they leave my motorcycle pass on there. One day a Ducati might sit in our garage.....

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 15

Must say, the Sonos system is one of the best purchases we ever made in our house. The TV is redundant, the Sonos gets an absolute hammering. Its had a major increase in price recently, so I doubt if we'll be getting any more

What amazes me is listening to digital radio via one speaker whilst my wife is listening to her music at the same time on the other speaker in another room. We have just the one Sonus/Spotify account and run it through an iPad. The convenience of Digital streaming has almost made my hifi package redundant.

Then when we have friends and family round both speakers can be grouped together and used as either a stereo pair or two mono speakers.

One of the best purchases we've made.

• Like 1

What amazes me is listening to digital radio via one speaker whilst my wife is listening to her music at the same time on the other speaker in another room. We have just the one Sonus/Spotify account and run it through an iPad. The convenience of Digital streaming has almost made my hifi package redundant.

Then when we have friends and family round both speakers can be grouped together and used as either a stereo pair or two mono speakers.

One of the best purchases we've made.

Our Sonos is used as the TV surround sound too, so movies can really punch out the sound. Epic depth for what is quite a small speaker in the Play1, the Sound bar is something else! I've never managed to max out a Play3 yet. A handy tip. Sonos say you cant stream YouTube through their system . If your Sonos is rigged up to a smart TV like ours, you can play YouTube through the TV, and group other rooms to it. Gets around the whole no YouTube issue

• RMweb Gold

I think we can see from recent posts he likes his Sonos and the hifi is nearly redundant along with his golf has improved at times throughout this thread, though I do wonder if the latter is symbyotically linked so as he cracks on with the layout that will get worse again. That's the way mine seems to go at any rate and looking at the weather this week not sure if I will get much golf in despite the wife and kids being away till Sunday.

• 1 month later...

Gordon is probably spoiling a good walk, by batting a small white ball into the distance and then chasing after it.

I’ve tried that before. Definitely didn’t reach the distance. I was lucky if I hit it into the foreground...

Edited by sixoh8sixoh