Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

I realised with Waverley that crawling around beneath baseboards is fine when you're in your teens, but less suited to a body that has had numerous dinks, dents and surgeries, so I built the baseboard for the main loco shed as a self-supporting unit, then picked up some second hand IKEA trestles to which I mounted it by means of some 4" Door hinges at the rear, and pads at the front to rest on.

That meant I could lift the whole thing up to about 75 degrees off flat to run wires, service point motors etc. and not have to crawl around the floor. OF course it also meant I had to clear the baseboard of all non-stuck down items!

Edited by bigwordsmith
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, bigwordsmith said:

That meant I could lift the whole thing up to about 75 degrees off flat to run wires, service point motors etc. and not have to crawl around the floor. OF course it also meant I had to clear the baseboard of all non-stuck down items!

Anything that stops us from using the layout as a "temporary" shelf is no bad thing.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 2

Small world. I used to love going there. I also enjoyed the train around the lake at Alexandra Palace and after much searching found some pics. No doubt it will take a while to find them again, but I’ll post the links on here.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Gordon,

Funny how we see things differently. When I was approx 6yrs old I had a railway book with an A4 on the front cover and thought it was the ugliest loco I had seen. Of course I didn't know at the time that it was an A4  but 60yrs later I still think they are ugly. :)

Pete

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, cb900f said:

Gordon,

Funny how we see things differently. When I was approx 6yrs old I had a railway book with an A4 on the front cover and thought it was the ugliest loco I had seen. Of course I didn't know at the time that it was an A4  but 60yrs later I still think they are ugly. :)

Pete

That's an unusual nickname for a modeller!

On that basis mine should be R1250RT!

Peter

2 hours ago, bigwordsmith said:

That's an unusual nickname for a modeller!

On that basis mine should be R1250RT!

Peter

Peter,

I've been a Honda fanatic since I was 15. Apologies Gordon for Off Topic.

Pete

No problem at all. We can talk about anything other than track gauge.....

I buggered up my back yesterday at golf. My bloomin' fault trying to put my heavy golf bag back on my trolley on the side of a slope. Didn't feel anything at the time, but within minutes everything had locked up in spasm trying to protect my spine. I'll see the physio tomorrow and he'll give me acupuncture or similar to unlock the muscles and I should be back to normal in a week to 10 days. Bad news is that I hardly got more than an hours sleep last night as there was no way of getting comfortable. The good news is that I can't play golf so will have to play trains for a while longer.

I'm OK to sit, so took the opportunity to take my Fiatrains 10000/10001 apart to move the Ultrascales in to 14.6mm to improve the running. It's takes fair bit of courage to completely strip each bogie as there are 8 screws to take the body off. Then another 8 screws to take off the sideframes and another six screws to split the helical gearboxes. When I say screws, these are the smallest I have ever seen. The bogie screws are 1mm long and probably 1mm thick. I should have taken a pic. Needless to say it's an accident waiting to happen. A magnetic screwdriver is an absolute must. Done one loco without losing one screw so now need a cup of tea...

Edited by gordon s
  • Friendly/supportive 16

1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

Have you ordered/got your Eyejusters, Gordon? Ordered a plain black frame pair just now which will arrive Friday.

On my list of things to do this afternoon. I could have done with the +4 setting this morning.....:D

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Probably wrong on a dozen and one counts, but when you've been fighting numerous tiny screws for a couple of hours and had to hold your breathe when you manoeuvred them into position, here's the fruit of my labours today.

Fiatrains 10000 &10001 with Ultrascale wheels to stop either derailing. There was a major deign fault with these when they first came out as they just didn't like going round corners. There were several engineering solutions put forward, but the easiest way for those without a workshop was to drop in Ultrascales. Mine were as originally supplied and then back in 2009, I pulled the wheels in for 00. Today saw them moved back out to 14.60mm and they now perform really well.

They haven't really been out off the box since then and haven't run properly on a circuit of track. They had to come out and I'll plead Rule 1....

DSCF0463.jpg.dc0aab27c5225d05d14c3f297ede38fb.jpg

Got a bent chimney pot and there seems something amiss with the first coach.....not to mention historical inaccuracies....:D

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I DCC fitted one of these a few years back, used a Lenz Gold I think.

Fia10000.JPG.fba0bc7dd2a9c47aa598322af5726621.JPG

Did it by removing the brass strapping that passed current from the pickups to the motor. Think it could all be easily put back if needed.

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've seen that view a few times today....;)

Mine both have the same decoder as the one in your pic. Getting the body off is the easy bit, providing you don't ping a screw somewhere. Chances are you'll never see it again.

Getting the wheel set out is the tricky bit as you have to take both bogies apart and split the gearboxes. I had done it before, but that was nine years ago, so was starting from square one again.

It's not impossible, but you do have to take your time and a lot of care. Lovely to see them both run again.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

27 minutes ago, gordon s said:

They haven't really been out off the box since then and haven't run properly on a circuit of track. They had to come out and I'll plead Rule 1....

I was going to ask you about them running on LNER metals but I see you've covered yourself with "Rule 1":D

A video of the Fiatrains running would be nice, if you have the time and your back doesn't hurt to much:D

Ian

Ps the photo looks very good ... well apart from the bent chimney!!

Edited by Ian_H

1 hour ago, gordon s said:

Probably wrong on a dozen and one counts, but when you've been fighting numerous tiny screws for a couple of hours and had to hold your breathe when you manoeuvred them into position, here's the fruit of my labours today.

Fiatrains 10000 &10001 with Ultrascale wheels to stop either derailing. There was a major deign fault with these when they first came out as they just didn't like going round corners. There were several engineering solutions put forward, but the easiest way for those without a workshop was to drop in Ultrascales. Mine were as originally supplied and then back in 2009, I pulled the wheels in for 00. Today saw them moved back out to 14.60mm and they now perform really well.

Got a bent chimney pot and there seems something amiss with the first coach.....not to mention historical inaccuracies....:D

I remember as a school child being very excited when either 100000 or 10001 came through Watford Junction or Bushey and Oxhey Station, how different things soon became when steam was being phased out with either diesel or electric (in the case of the WCML) trains. Having said this I have a soft spot for the earl liveries of the Electric locos and the Western Region Warship and Western locos

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gordon s said:

Apologies, diesel pedant here again!

The class 34's primarily ran as a pair with the radiator fans outermost, in fact I've only seen one picture of them not so oriented.

Mike.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Well here you go Ian. Usual caveat, these haven't run for nine years and need a little TLC with lubricating all the moving parts....

Eastwood Town will be set just outside Nottingham to let me run LMS and LNER. One of the things I need to check is the locos and Mk1's. I think they crossed over by a few years, but suspect they should be custard and cream rather than maroon. I chose to have the LMS lettering on the side left off as that gained me a few years. I happen to like the black and silver grey rather than the later green, but we're all different.

Still tons to do, so don't give me hard time....I'm not a well boy....:D

• Like 14

18 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Apologies, diesel pedant here again!

The class 34's primarily ran as a pair with the radiator fans outermost, in fact I've only seen one picture of them not so oriented.

Mike.

Of course I’ll take that information on board, Mike, but you made me do it........;)

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p55963330/h12D3DB26#h12d3db26

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, gordon s said:

That answers your question about Mk 1s, although the locos are green by the time of that photo.

Edited by Regularity
PS Nice videos, but please turn the volume down on that DMU!
  • Thanks 1

PS Nice videos, but please turn the volume down on that DMU!

I’m chuckling away as the DMU isn’t running, it’s sat in the station.

The second issue is that it doesn’t have sound anyway...:D

I guess we’d all be a bit croaky if we’d been stuck in a box for years.....

I don’t disagreee and it will be fixed, but perhaps not tomorrow.....:D

• Like 2
  • Funny 3