Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

Waaaiiiittt! Whoaaaa there. What happened? I stopped at the bottom of page 40 as we had visitors this morning. I turn to page 41 late this afternoon with an impending wedding on the horizon and suddenly ET3 is off the map being modified. What are you doing to me, Gordon?

The Stationmaster did forewarn me that there was a Bastille Day coming along - so the layout went for the chop, eh?

I read on ..............................

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Waaaiiiittt! Whoaaaa there. What happened? I stopped at the bottom of page 40 as we had visitors this morning. I turn to page 41 late this afternoon with an impending wedding on the horizon and suddenly ET3 is off the map being modified. What are you doing to me, Gordon?

The Stationmaster did forewarn me that there was a Bastille Day coming along - so the layout went for the chop, eh?

I read on ..............................

You'll get used to it after a while!

Having now arrived at the bottom of page 57 - I find that a new ET is about to be born - Aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrggghhhhhh!

I still haven't gone 'forwards' yet to see at what iteration ET is - and I shan't (yet!).

I have to say that I can understand Gordon, or anyone else, losing their mojo when on a project. Despite preferring to work on my own - I like the company of someone else even if it's only to tell jokes or have a cup of tea just for the motivation - you can get caught up in your own thoughts and if something does go wrong it perhaps becomes disproportionate. Or you've put a piece of work down due to 'other things must be done' and your mojo upped and went - I have a low relief building to finish - it's only waiting a few pre-printed footway slabs to complete and a bit of weathering and it's done. TWO months since I last picked it up - so I do sympathise.

On the other hand, Gordon's work to date has now inspired me to get on with it and 'other things that need to be done' so that by the end of the year I can start on my layout too!

Right-ho, that's off my chest ........... back to the tale then .................................

Cheers,

Philip

Edited by Philou
  • Like 4

Having now arrived at the bottom of page 57 - I find that a new ET is about to be born - Aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrggghhhhhh!

I still haven't gone 'forwards' yet to see at what iteration ET is - and I shan't (yet!).

Having an ample supply of Vallium to hand before you go much further might be a good idea!

• RMweb Premium

All together now, "Should have something running by Christmas"

Do you have one in mind?

Seriously, not far off being able to run an engine / train al the way around, will you be inviting your nephew, for the momentous occasion ?

• Like 1

Doh! I got to the bottom of page 70 and I was lulled into a rather false sense of optimism that here we are - out on the golf course - the weather turns bad for the autumn and out will come the tools - yay! Noooo. Page 71 - tools alright - tools of doom and destruction for ET4. Is there no stopping you, Gordon? :cry:................. 'sniff'. I'll try and carry on ...................

BTW - I was sorry to see the loss of Mr Tetley. I only knew of the layout through this topic.

• Like 1

I'm at the bottom of page 85 now - and all is well. BUT I'm a little troubled by this word 'Bastille' that is popping up from time to time .............................

Soooo ................. arrived at the bottom of Page 110, Gordon has had Novovirus (sorry to read about the bereavement), he is well again standing on his own two feet ................. and so is Eastwood. Things are looking good for when I turn the page tomorrow ;).

Cheers,

Philip

@ martin #3349

Dash - my neighbour who helped me cut all the timber for my stairs has one of those - I'm not sure if it wasn't a No 35 too - he needed new blades so that we could give a fine finish at the joints (no biscuits I'm afraid - not even McVities' over here). I couldn't find any when I looked in January - you haven't seen any anywhere by chance?

Cheers,

Philip

@Oldddudders

If I may be so bold as to ask why you need to change your UK licence for a French one? An enquiring mind who is a couple of years away from his 70th but living in France would like to know.

Cheers,

Philip

PS: Sorry Gordon for hijacking your thread - but sometimes something is seen and it raises a question ............... I'll get back to page err ...... 134, I think.

• RMweb Gold

@ martin #3349

Dash - my neighbour who helped me cut all the timber for my stairs has one of those - I'm not sure if it wasn't a No 35 too - he needed new blades so that we could give a fine finish at the joints (no biscuits I'm afraid - not even McVities' over here). I couldn't find any when I looked in January - you haven't seen any anywhere by chance?

Hi Philip,

Now called Pajarito it seems. Blades here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skarsten-Pajarito-Pulling-Scraper-Paint-Removing-Dry-Glue-Scraper-32mm-or-62mm/191192880327?var=490342268807&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D43781%26meid%3D359cc00833a3411aaad68df097f4328f%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D191192880327%26itm%3D490342268807&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

But they are very easy to re-sharpen in the holder. On the grinder or even an oilstone if you don't have a grinder. You can keep one for fine work and hone it to a keen edge like a chisel.

cheers,

Martin.

@jukebox Post#3361(?)

If you're interested, our 'local' model shop is advertising a Heljan 90' electric turntable (UK box) for ........... wait for it ........... €279.00 plus €14.90 p&p.

Here's the link: https://www.jura-modelisme.fr/accueil/19699-Heljan-he89121-plaque-tournante-electrique-274-cms-avec-boitier-de-commande-et-nombreux-details.html

Cheers,

Philip

Gordon, sorry again.

Edited by Philou

• RMweb Premium

Hi Philip,

Now called Pajarito it seems. Blades here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skarsten-Pajarito-Pulling-Scraper-Paint-Removing-Dry-Glue-Scraper-32mm-or-62mm/191192880327?var=490342268807&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D43781%26meid%3D359cc00833a3411aaad68df097f4328f%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D191192880327%26itm%3D490342268807&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

But they are very easy to re-sharpen in the holder. On the grinder or even an oilstone if you don't have a grinder. You can keep one for fine work and hone it to a keen edge like a chisel.

cheers,

Martin.

Hi Martin,

Is this the same tool you mentioned a few weeks(?) ago regarding removal of burrs from pcb sleepers?  I've been trying to find the original post, but can I....

Cheers,

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Is this the same tool you mentioned a few weeks(?) ago regarding removal of burrs from pcb sleepers?

Hi Brian,

See: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/3422-eastwood-town-rpt/page-134&do=findComment&comment=2981120

As far as I can determine it is the same or equivalent, but I haven't actually seen one to know.

The significant difference in the Skarsten scrapers compared with most is that in use they are pulled rather than pushed. That makes them a great modelling tool in removing burrs from plasticard, copper-clad, rail, etches, etc. Also in fine woodwork for smoothing, etc.

cheers,

Martin.

Well, Gordon,

I have arrived at the end - I have rinsed my eyeballs, shaved off this eight day beard and await eagerly for your next few photos showing your progress. You did give me a fright at Page 143/144 as I thought you were going to start again .... again. Sure glad you haven't.

I'm not sure what I can usefully say to you except keep at it - I'm sure it'll be fine and do not be over-concerned that this or that part is not too prototypical. It is YOUR railway and as long as you have smooth running over your points (which seems to be the main aim through your thread), it'll be OK. I think it looks great already and far better than anything I shall be producing in RTR - BUT you have set me a few targets:

to at least try and emulate what you have done insofar as is possible;

to have another go at Templot; and,

make at least one or two points where RTR will not be appropriate.

I can count myself fortunate that when I asked for help on my own thread that those that contributed here, and you, were only too happy to help me.

(As an aside, the club to which I belong, has a Proxxon table saw and it is used for cutting sleepers too (so I shall be able to cadge a few to make points ;) ). The pcb is 1.8mm.)

Good luck and don't forget to post a photo or two (or vid) once in a while especially when that first loco (light or part of a train) does that first continuous run.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The "how do I fill the corner" idea. At least it's better than a tunnel with a church on top as it does allow a bit of urban grime, which I always like.

Question? If they are sidings for this brewery, don't they need a trap/catch point to prevent wagons running onto the main line? Unless the sidings feed onto a loop with its own protection? Or are these sidings on a down hill grade so wagons would run away from the running line and not towards it?

Having looked at this thread and been entertained for so many years, I am sure an invite to your grand opening to anyone will be far more enjoyable than anything Harry & Meghan can muster!

Bit worried about your statement about “nothing to the tip”, I thought you had a season ticket to visit, has it run out!

Looking forward to the next instalment.

All the best,

Brian

How do I fill in a corner?  You're so right and I did think about it for some time.

I bought these buildings years ago and whilst I have no regrets, they do cry out 'use me' every so often.  As you would expect from Alan Downes they are too good to sit in a wardrobe, but they are also quite large and finding space for them to sit without blocking everything or dominating your viewpoint is quite a challenge.

Inevitably they end up in a corner, but I will do my best to disguise that cliched position.

The sidings themselves do not go out onto the main line.  The whole outer track is a goods/relief/headshunt for the industrial sidings, so I wasn't sure if they needed catch points.  To be honest, it's one of those prototypical/freelance things that I've sat on the fence with.  There isn't room as it stands rights now, but I could put one in the relief road if that was the correct thing to do.

Right now I'm determined to get something running round and round, so no doubt I'll come back to the question in a few months time.

• Like 6