Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

That's a new one on me. I thought that 34 was the originally-intended classification for what became 33/1.

A few classes were allocated TOPS codes but never carried them, e.g. class 30 (original Brush type 2 with Mirlees engine), class 48, and obviously the class 04 Drewry shunters.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

The twins were around before the 33/1's were mooted, so they had first dibs!

Mike.

Hmm, perhaps. They'd also gone before the TOPS classifications were first mooted (1968?) so any firm evidence would be very interesting.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Hmm, perhaps. They'd also gone before the TOPS classifications were first mooted (1968?) so any firm evidence would be very interesting.

I was extrapolating, interpolating, inferring or in other words, guessing.

And you found me out!

Although according to a certain online site, the following three works make reference to them being Class 34:

Hunt, David (2005). LMS locomotive Profiles Vol. 9: Main Line Diesel-Electrics Nos. 10000 and 10001. Wild Swan Publications. ISBN 1-905184-04-2.

Richards, E.V. (1996). LMS Diesel Locomotives and Railcars. Long Stratton: RCTS. ISBN 0-901115-76-2.

Strickland, David C. (September 1983). Locomotive Directory: Every Single One There Has Ever Been. Camberley, Surrey: Diesel and Electric Group. ISBN 978-0-9063-7510-5.

The same website also refers to class 33/1 originally being allocated class 34, though...

Edited by Regularity
Wikipedia update
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Can't get away with anything in here.....:D

Back from the physio, so wrestling with a Lenz chip in a Heljan Class 15 right now. Couldn't get the lights to work, but a factory reset solved the problem.

Probably no golf for a week to ten days, but who cares.....It's bloomin' cold and wet out there...;)

Edited by gordon s
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Probably no golf for a week to ten days, but who cares.....It's bloomin' cold and wet out there...;)

Guess that rules you out of taking penalties as well then.

• Funny 2

We have all been there, with football you need to invest with new players even when it appears there is no need. Is it Mourinho's fault, or the new stadium taking all the cash which otherwise would have been spent on new players?

I am no Mourinho fan but he took over an underperforming team and suffered a lot of injuries. As an outsider its appears a lack of investment in new players as much as anything else which is causing the downturn

• Agree 1

Quiz night tonight, so get your thinking heads on for the weekend. My ’Eyejusters’ turned up today. Normally I’d certainly recommend them, but sadly I have one eye that was hit with a stone from a strimmer 40 years ago and my eyesight is better on my right than left. When I adjusted them, to account for this, my own prescription glasses were better I guess it’s back to the optician now. Nothing wrong at all with Eyejusters, just not suitable for my eyesight.

Today has been dismantling and decoding a pair of Class 28’s that will turn up on my version of the Condor at some time in the future. Joke of it is, it ran overnight, so I could stick anything on it and no one would know any different in the pitch black of night.......:D

Not without it’s problems, but not much you can do when you bought something 10 years ago and then take it out of the box 10 years later and find a problem. My call to Hattons was somewhat tongue in cheek when I said I bought them in 2010 and they have a problem....:D

Thankfully the girl I spoke to had a sense of humour....

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The Co bos are a badger to fit sound to..and the wiring is cranky.

You will be building a train of the correct Conflats from Judith Edge kits I hope:D

And precautionary tale. The bogies on these can stiffen up with age due to the "lubrication" used in the factory. This happened on Carlisle. They get slower and slower. Clean as much out as you can then spray GT85 into it. Mike Edge came up with the solution. .worked on my one too.

Baz

• Informative/Useful 4

Morning campers.....

Hope you are all well and keeping out of the way of the Corona thingy. I'm fine, but keeping myself to myself. It may sound like like an over reaction, but with no natural immune system and no longer in my thirties, it seems the right thing to do until things quieten down a bit. I've not locked myself in, just avoiding situations that may be a high risk. Glad I'm retired and don't have to journey into London every day.

Even the term 'high risk' is a little overstated in terms of the actual risk, but somehow common sense prevails and like most, I have family responsibilities and a railway to build....

The biggest problem is you need to keep an awareness of what is happening, but the number of fake news reports or the number of people who seem to delight in spreading alarm is certainly on the increase. Just use common sense and we'll be fine. 

Anyway, I digress....

Baz told me to keep testing, testing, testing, so apart from a bit of ballasting on the new fourth loop extension, I've been rummaging in boxes and dragging out a selection from each of our RTR manufacturers. They all need some work in terms of adding details and weathering, so they all look a little new and sparkling in the light.

First a question for those of you a little younger than I, who grew up with diesels. These were all a bit of a novelty to me, but I still recall my first sighting of Deltic coming out of Wood Green carriage sheds for the first time. Other than a Triang Transcontinental diesel, I had never seen one, so seeing this wonderful bright blue loco for the first time in the late 50's was real jaw dropping stuff for a nine year old. 

That was the first, but many others followed as steam slowly faded away. KX was blessed with Class 31's and when Hornby introduced theirs, I ordered a couple. They sat in their boxes until 'Crackergate' happened and out mine came for inspection. Both suffered the same problem with cracks in the corners of the bodywork, so back to Hornby and replaced FOC.

These were the second generation and I'm surprised at the colours. Maybe it's my memory, but was the banding on the 31's really a shade of duck egg green? If asked, I would have said it was much lighter or even white. Does this look correct to you?

DSCF0483.jpg.a2483e82b9f1278dfbbbf2223f0a7a85.jpg

Either way, it runs well and everything appears to work and is happily trundling around ET with 8 coaches. I've tended to use Zimo MX630 decoders in most of my locos as the running quality is silky smooth. Of course it's an overkill putting a six function decoder into a steam loco, but they are small and do the job. If anyone has a decent alternative they can recommend, I'm all ears as at £34 each, they are not the cheapest.

Next loco was a pair of Heljan Class 28's. One of my favourite ugly ducklings and again fond memories of a school friend's Hornby layout and his Co-Bo. I seem to recall they also figured on a Gamages catalogue years ago....Yup, 1961.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/GAMAGES-TRI-ANG-Hornby-1961-CATALOGUE-ARTWORK-NEW-JUMBO-FRIDGE-LOCKER-MAGNET-/273834749422

Was that a Terence Cuneo original painting?

Opened the boxes and apart from the odd bit that fallen off, all seemed well. Getting the body off was a real struggle, but eventually it came away and new decoders were fitted. Sadly both have the same problem, with a mix of led's working/non working, so they will be off to be repaired shortly.

DSCF0493.jpg.617017020d17a547a98f51a5aeb41578.jpg

I love detailed models, but the fine plastic parts are so fragile. Seems I have a piece of pipe to replace.....

All I need now is 20 or so Conflats.

Third exhibit is a lovely J50 from Hornby. Anyone who kicked around Hornsey in the 50's, just has to have a 'coffee pot'. Lovely model that runs as smooth a silk and this little beauty punches way above its weight with 20 plus wagons or 8 Mk1's in tow. No sign of slipping or fuss, it just does it. I had to do some work internally to take a decoder, but left in all the body weights, so that probably explains why it has such phenomenal pulling power for such a small loco.

Only problem is a hair line crack in the footplate, so I'm in touch with Hornby to see if I can get another body shell.

DSCF0487.jpg.06d593c7eb78cc531596aeb4ca6c6c4e.jpg

Final one for today is another Hornby loco, a B17. Always loved these, particularly as a football fan and anyone who kicked a ball around couldn't help but admire the brass football and team colours that adorned the splashers.

Nothing to do with Grimsby Town, but this thing can barely pull its own weight around. 8 Mk 1's never moved, so I downgraded it to 6 Gresley Suburbans. It will manage those, but only just. As the decoder is in the tender, the body will have to come off and I'll need to add a fair bit of weight. A nice looking loco, but disppointed with the lack of power.

I've just weighed both locos and was surprised by the results. The J50 will pull anything and came in at 264gm. The B17 was 334gm, so it can't be a weight issue. I'll need to check that all the driving wheels are firmly flat on the track and not lifting.

DSCF0497.jpg.08d5f6b366f79e3eda570e06aba3d111.jpg

Don't worry Bachmann, your turn will come shortly.......:D

A bit more ballasting this morning and then its off to the Physio for another work out. Hoping to get out for a few holes tomorrow. My understanding is that being out in the open is fine, you just need to be careful in closed spaces where all the usual hygiene rules apply.

Daren't turn up in a mask. My golfing pals would be merciless.....:D

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

'morning Gordon

An interesting trot through the contents of your model boxes - sadly I was never a spotter so missed out n all those delights.

Ref the footballer, this may not work, but I've found that Bachmann Pacifics can get very light footed if their tenders are too tight - it may be something to do with he tender coupling lifting the drive wheels slightly off the rails.

As a true high risk candidate ( Lung impairment and Oldfartitis) I'm being advised not to go out into crowds and certainly not to get too close to strangers.

Actually sounds quite good advice to me.

On the Footballer theme - thought  you might be amused by this one I detailed many years ago - I had a dose of CBA when it came to livery, so just turned it out in early 1960's condition. It's one of the old tender drives and can pull the side off a house!

IMG_1823.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

36 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Morning campers.....

. My understanding is that being out in the open is fine, you just need to be careful in closed spaces where all the usual hygiene rules apply.

Not being able to go into the bar after the round will save a few pennies

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gordon s said:

Morning campers.....

Hope you are all well and keeping out of the way of the Corona thingy. I'm fine, but keeping myself to myself. It may sound like like an over reaction, but with no natural immune system and no longer in my thirties, it seems the right thing to do until things quieten down a bit. I've not locked myself in, just avoiding situations that may be a high risk. Glad I'm retired and don't have to journey into London every day.

Even the term 'high risk' is a little overstated in terms of the actual risk, but somehow common sense prevails and like most, I have family responsibilities and a railway to build....

The biggest problem is you need to keep an awareness of what is happening, but the number of fake news reports or the number of people who seem to delight in spreading alarm is certainly on the increase. Just use common sense and we'll be fine. 

Anyway, I digress....

Baz told me to keep testing, testing, testing, so apart from a bit of ballasting on the new fourth loop extension, I've been rummaging in boxes and dragging out a selection from each of our RTR manufacturers. They all need some work in terms of adding details and weathering, so they all look a little new and sparkling in the light.

First a question for those of you a little younger than I, who grew up with diesels. These were all a bit of a novelty to me, but I still recall my first sighting of Deltic coming out of Wood Green carriage sheds for the first time. Other than a Triang Transcontinental diesel, I had never seen one, so seeing this wonderful bright blue loco for the first time in the late 50's was real jaw dropping stuff for a nine year old. 

That was the first, but many others followed as steam slowly faded away. KX was blessed with Class 31's and when Hornby introduced theirs, I ordered a couple. They sat in their boxes until 'Crackergate' happened and out mine came for inspection. Both suffered the same problem with cracks in the corners of the bodywork, so back to Hornby and replaced FOC.

These were the second generation and I'm surprised at the colours. Maybe it's my memory, but was the banding on the 31's really a shade of duck egg green? If asked, I would have said it was much lighter or even white. Does this look correct to you?

DSCF0483.jpg.a2483e82b9f1278dfbbbf2223f0a7a85.jpg

Either way, it runs well and everything appears to work and is happily trundling around ET with 8 coaches. I've tended to use Zimo MX630 decoders in most of my locos as the running quality is silky smooth. Of course it's an overkill putting a six function decoder into a steam loco, but they are small and do the job. If anyone has a decent alternative they can recommend, I'm all ears as at £34 each, they are not the cheapest.

Next loco was a pair of Heljan Class 28's. One of my favourite ugly ducklings and again fond memories of a school friend's Hornby layout and his Co-Bo. I seem to recall they also figured on a Gamages catalogue years ago....Yup, 1961.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/GAMAGES-TRI-ANG-Hornby-1961-CATALOGUE-ARTWORK-NEW-JUMBO-FRIDGE-LOCKER-MAGNET-/273834749422

Was that a Terence Cuneo original painting?

Opened the boxes and apart from the odd bit that fallen off, all seemed well. Getting the body off was a real struggle, but eventually it came away and new decoders were fitted. Sadly both have the same problem, with a mix of led's working/non working, so they will be off to be repaired shortly.

DSCF0493.jpg.617017020d17a547a98f51a5aeb41578.jpg

I love detailed models, but the fine plastic parts are so fragile. Seems I have a piece of pipe to replace.....

All I need now is 20 or so Conflats.

Third exhibit is a lovely J50 from Hornby. Anyone who kicked around Hornsey in the 50's, just has to have a 'coffee pot'. Lovely model that runs as smooth a silk and this little beauty punches way above its weight with 20 plus wagons or 8 Mk1's in tow. No sign of slipping or fuss, it just does it. I had to do some work internally to take a decoder, but left in all the body weights, so that probably explains why it has such phenomenal pulling power for such a small loco.

Only problem is a hair line crack in the footplate, so I'm in touch with Hornby to see if I can get another body shell.

DSCF0487.jpg.06d593c7eb78cc531596aeb4ca6c6c4e.jpg

Final one for today is another Hornby loco, a B17. Always loved these, particularly as a football fan and anyone who kicked a ball around couldn't help but admire the brass football and team colours that adorned the splashers.

Nothing to do with Grimsby Town, but this thing can barely pull its own weight around. 8 Mk 1's never moved, so I downgraded it to 6 Gresley Suburbans. It will manage those, but only just. As the decoder is in the tender, the body will have to come off and I'll need to add a fair bit of weight. A nice looking loco, but disppointed with the lack of power.

I've just weighed both locos and was surprised by the results. The J50 will pull anything and came in at 264gm. The B17 was 334gm, so it can't be a weight issue. I'll need to check that all the driving wheels are firmly flat on the track and not lifting.

DSCF0497.jpg.08d5f6b366f79e3eda570e06aba3d111.jpg

Don't worry Bachmann, your turn will come shortly.......:D

A bit more ballasting this morning and then its off to the Physio for another work out. Hoping to get out for a few holes tomorrow. My understanding is that being out in the open is fine, you just need to be careful in closed spaces where all the usual hygiene rules apply.

Hi Gordon,

To answer your question about the Brush type 2 lining bands, yes there were duck egg blue as noted by Brian Haresnape in several of his books. Brian was part of the BR design panel so his notes on liveries were in my mind accurate. Most classes except those made by BRCW had duck egg blue lining, not white. BRCW were white.

I am surprised at your B17, mine will handle 10 or so no problem, saying that the maximum train length for my layout's station is seven Mk1 gangwayed coaches.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I guess it was judging by this eBay sale.....

1606764453_Screenshot2020-03-11at15_46_18.png.99572f4f1173ca1c2695849123d36148.png

Still rummaging through boxes and this saw the light of day for the first time in nearly 10 years. Some of the weathering powders had faded over the years and the oil mix dried had out on the wheels, but other than that, plonked it on the track and away it went. What more can you ask....

DSCF0507.jpg.7650f5a713b443e2ae44696c2c1363d0.jpg

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Yes, they are Cuneo paintings and you will know where to come for the Conflats....

Pipework on the Heljan Co-Bos is very fragile and easily knocked off, I don't think moulded plastic is very good for this sort of detail but I suppose anything else would be too expensive.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Hattons cl28's lights do not work if the decoder plug is in the wrong way around. The #1 end is the BO end not the CO end. When you look at a 28 it looks like it should be the other way around but if you put the #1 pin at the BO end they should work fine if you get it the wrong way the lights won't work.

Well that's how it is on mine anyway.

Regards Lez.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1