Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

• RMweb Premium

Loved the Wildebeest saga, especially at the end where, having found a B1 you didn't know you had with an unsalvageable chassis, and decided the cost of a new chassis was extortionate, you felt you had to buy a new one :rolleyes: - so the end result is you still have an unsalvageable B1 :(, plus an extra loco :).  All you now need to do now is put Wildebeest back at the bottom of your box of tricks, forget it's there and that you ever tried to fix it.  Then when next you need a new loco, find Wildebeest again, to  your complete surprise of course :o, and repeat the process :good_mini:

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 8

B*gger, I’ve been rumbled......:D

That story worked really well with my wife.....

Tale for today. Pulled out a Bachmann Standard 5 that had had a decoder fitted a while back. Still ran well, but then I noticed something hanging down and realised it was a broken speedo drive that comes off the rear driving wheel. Not the best design in the world with a poorly riveted fitting on the drive crank, meaning it just flopped about. The cable is a very thin plastic moulding which is fixed at both ends. Needless to say with the crank rotating there is some small movement on the speedo cable and being fixed both ends, there is no flex in the arrangement, so the small diameter speedo cable moulding just snaps in two.

No problem, I’ll get one from Bachmann tomorrow. Get out the service sheet for the loco and it’s not even shown as a spare. More than that, it doesn’t even appear on the drawing.....:mellow:

I’ll still give them a call, but suspect I may get ‘the computer says no’.....

Now if I were a real modeller, I’d make one, but the parts are minuscule, my eyesight about 80% and my sausage fingers will ping items everywhere...:D

Failing that I’ll find a suitable screw to fit the driving wheel/con rod and leave it off completely. If the driver gets stopped by the Police, he can blame me.

A month of lockdown working on ET stock has seen some up’s and downs. Golf is becoming more attractive every day. Big balls, big clubs, brute force and ignorance at times. Far less stressful that faffing about with bits that are too small to pick up.....

2mm must be a young man’s game....

Edited by gordon s
  • Friendly/supportive 10

Chimer, just seen Southsea in your profile. That takes me back as I worked for a company  in Rodney Road years ago and met my wife in Southsea. Her family lived round the corner from Fratton Park.

I’ve had a few beers in the Still and West over the years...not to mention the clubs along the sea front.....;)  

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

You think that speedo cable is a problem Gordon? Bought some more coach door handles. (I accidentally threw my stash away)...take first handle...ping...bugggrrrriittt!

Take second....ping....

Mugadecaf consumed..then a nice Pinot age. ..

Baz

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gordon s said:

I believe that they start off that way, but maybe advance more quickly than the rest of us...

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

I just trawl the net for the new Bachmann B1's.  I think last time I paid pounds 70 for 1 and 75 for the other.  Both had been badly weathered and one had a bit of a botched job of putting extra weight and the origional body would not fit.  No problem though because I didn't want the body anyway.  I do now have a lot of tenders that one day I will convert to 'sludge' holders.  Really neat those pictures of the Hornby tender and fire iron holder.   I will take a picture of one of the tenders I have modified and post it tomorrow

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, gordon s said:

I wonder that myself some days but at the age of 67 I can still put transfers on N gauge society kits. Finished this pair yesterday 

DFE19DEE-1F97-4182-95E9-F0A9EC3C4BEE.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Barry O said:

You think that speedo cable is a problem Gordon? Bought some more coach door handles. (I accidentally threw my stash away)...take first handle...ping...bugggrrrriittt!

Take second....ping....

Mugadecaf consumed..then a nice Pinot age. ..

Baz

If they are the turned brass handles I put them in a pin chuck before filing them to shape, voila, no pings!

Mike.

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

If they are the turned brass handles I put them in a pin chuck before filing them to shape, voila, no pings!

Mike.

These are p reshaped.  As it happens I found them using the sock across end of hoover trick

Baz

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Barry O said:

These are p reshaped.  As it happens I found them using the sock across end of hoover trick

Baz

Ooh where from? The Markits ones are a block casting.

Mike.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern
Spillchucker.

Just won the lottery...again. The lovely lady at Bachmann Service had a 105 trailer car pcb last week and today she had a rummage and found two speedo cables. Yes, I managed to blow the led's before you ask. Got distracted and a live wire just touched the board....:yes:

Chance of either being available were virtually zero as neither are shown on the service sheets.

I've started making one. It's small and fiddly, but I'm determined to have a go. We 'sposed to be modellers when all said and done.....;)

Can I go and play golf now....

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

did you know that gap filing cyano is a wonderful conductor...no it is an excellent insulator!!!? Look for Zap-a-Gap

Baz

Edited by Barry O
Got conductor and insulator mixed. Doh!!
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Brass bushed plastic gears may run well, but not in a split chassis......:D

Funny what comes to light once you wipe away the grease and oil....

On which note, don’t use switch cleaner to clean split axles. Well, not if the insulation is Tufnol, leastways.

Not only is it a good conductor, it also permeates into the Tufnol. Ask me how I know...

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Nice weathering on the vans, but I think you've hit the nail on the head about them all looking the same, why, because bauxite vans weathered at a prodigious rate and looking at photos of van trains there are rarely two the same shade, anything between brand new and barely coloured just shared.

Without stripping the vans and mixing up fifty shades of bauxite you'll struggle to maintain a great deal of difference.

Mike.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks Mike, much appreciated. I guess the problem is my own of just lumping 24 vans together when I can mix them up with grey vans and other wagons of different types. I’ll see what’s about once I open some more boxes.

Vans are relatively straight forward as are other planked types. I’m going to struggle a bit with 16 tonner’s until I find a method that works. Back to MW’s book tonight for some light reading.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Well I like them and think you've done a great job. When you get the next batch out of their boxes, you can use some different colours and mix them up with the ones you've done already. That should suit the pedantic amongst us. I'd be happy to run them on my layout, although I suspect they wouldn't do the sleepers much good (if they make it to the end). :o

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 4

The MW book is still my go to source of ideas, the wagons look good. Not sure if you have coloured the wheels, that is always worth doing. Like Kier has said once you mix them up with some other weathered wagons any uniformity won't show. Dry brushing some colour variation on the planking of the next batch would help. Maybe do them in smaller batches, maybe six at a time?

I do appreciate that with a larger layout it is a much bigger task.

Martyn

Edited by mullie
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gordon, I found Humbrol weathering powers very good. They are applied with a dry brush and you can put on as much or as little as you like. Comes in smoky black, dark earth and rust. The beauty of them is they can be almost washed off with warm water and washing up liquid so you can get some variation of weathering.

After weathering

DSCF7260.JPG.c5eff6d9957ce7a4629902ad7ba5c770.JPG

After washing off

DSCF7263.JPG.93f0b56c817b86c1ba59a669aec6021d.JPG

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2