Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, pirouets said:

They will have to figure out which green pasture he is wandering around wondering where his golf ball is hiding i suspect. From past posts i suspect in summer this takes over when time permits fun to be had.

Gordon  seems to think  that  chasing a little white ball around a field is fun! I suppose it takes all sorts.

• Funny 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, gordon s said:

I still haven't really got my head around this latest version of RMweb. It must be an age thing as I used to steam around the forum on a set of well worn routes, many of which I could do in my sleep. I find now I almost feel out of my depth and can't really see beyond View New Content, so I very much doubt I'm getting the best from it. All of that is my problem as I'm sure those on here every day won't understand my trepidation.

It does take a bit of getting used to.  I was ‘sure’ I didn’t like it and it couldn’t do what I wanted at first.  I’ve now got it set up so as I can follow all the topics I used to and showing the same way but it took a bit of getting it right.  If you say what you want to do I’ll try to help. PM if you want to do it privately.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see you back Gordon. I find ballasting to be faorly therapeutic when you do it when you feel like doing it. 

No ballasting required as yet on my new layout but, when the time comes to do it I won't set a specific end date for it.

Hope you have sorted out the short

Baz

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Wonderful to see you back here Gordon.

Take your time, and build up your momentum and enthusiasm.  The only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time.

An as I've counselled before, variety remains the spice of life.

Looking forward to seeing your progress when it happens.

Regards

Scott

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Golf is a strange game for a competitive being. When you are playing well it's wonderful, but a period of playing badly can make you suicidal. Not literally, but thoughts of packing the whole thing in

So true. I haven't picked my clubs up now since August and lost all desire even to the point I have let my membership lapse for now. Listening to LBC as you mention later in the post may drive you to that point as well by the sound of it :-)

Give it a few more wet days and I may do some more.....

Had you actually checked the weather forecast before writing that post given what has fallen from the skies in the last few days?

Look forward to seeing how this evolves over the winter.

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, chris p bacon said:

And yet Templot is a walk in the park for you...:rolleyes:

:D:D........

Not quite, Dave. It took numerous times of picking it up and giving up in total frustration until the penny dropped. Nothing wrong with Templot at all, I hasten to add. My problem is that I'm not a manual guy and prefer just to dive in, get started as soon as possible and then deal with each issue as it arises. Once I discovered numerous short cuts that suited my mentality, it allowed me to get so far and then the superb support from Martin, got me further and further. The problem I now find is the same as RMweb. If you're here every day, you discover things and methods that work. Put it down for months and then most of what you learned before has been filed away and often forgotten. I haven't touched Templot in months, so I'm sure it will take me a day or two to get back to the speed I was at before.

Thanks for your offer of help, Paul. I may well take you up on it, but before taking up your time, I'll give it a few more days as I'm sure once I get back in the swing of things, it will start to make sense.

Went back over your thread, Barry and glad to see you and your support crew are making good progress. It's an interesting project on so many levels. The loft conversion has many parallels to my own with the same windows, access doors and roof elevation all kicking in to complicate things. Add to that the steam/diesel cross over period and gradients and I'm hooked....

It's still raining out there, so it could be along winter, but another hour of ballasting this morning and all is well in the world.

This is what kept me busy in the summer, in between playing golf...^_^

Still a bit to do, but it's getting there. The main body is housing the koi filtration system and the smaller section will be Jackie's potting shed. Once the roof is finished, I'll measure up to fit windows in all the sections and then order the UPVC frames to match the rest of the house. It took a while, but it is designed to fit the space and worked out less than half the cost of having one built, plus the quality and thickness of the timber is considerably better.

DSCF0015.jpg.1a4084c251de3e89a808fdba6d0bc6bc.jpg

Last job will be to trim all the overhanging foliage from the golf course boundary as that really is a mess right now. The water butt is my bit to save the planet. All waste water is now pumped out into the water butt and used to water the garden. It may be some months before it's needed.

Glad to be back amongst old friends....

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

47 minutes ago, pirouets said:

So true. I haven't picked my clubs up now since August and lost all desire even to the point I have let my membership lapse for now. Listening to LBC as you mention later in the post may drive you to that point as well by the sound of it :-)

Had you actually checked the weather forecast before writing that post given what has fallen from the skies in the last few days?

Look forward to seeing how this evolves over the winter.

I play off 17 and last week just about summed it up. Had a mare Monday and Tuesday and then went down with this blooming' infection. Could have happily called it a day at that point, but had to play in our annual competition against the Ladies. They play off the reds plus three more shots and we're back on the yellows but playing off the Ladies indices. This really is a one off match with bragging rights for the year and God help you if you lose. So there we are giving away 20 shots and thankfully the infection held off for 24 hours. Blow me I par four of the first five holes, drop one on 6 and then par 7,8 and 9. We ran out easy winners and I could go home to bed. I have no idea what had changed and if I knew I wouldn't be playing off 17......:D

Apologies for the rain. I had no idea it was going to continue for so long.

Attractive as it sounds, there is no chance of a garden railway. Hell would freeze over first or a divorce would be on the cards and then I couldn't stay here anyway.

Good to hear from you Scott. Sadly there are no winners in a divorce and it always gets messy once the legal teams get involved. You can agree things between you and everything is quite fair and amicable and then a friend suggests that your wife talks to a solicitor and everything then takes three times as long, the costs go through the roof and it becomes hard to stay on friendly terms. In the end you go full circle and back to where you started all those months ago, but it's cost you both thousands of pounds and a year or two out of your life. Been there....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 hours ago, gordon s said:

I play off 17 and last week just about summed it up. Had a mare Monday and Tuesday and then went down with this blooming' infection. Could have happily called it a day at that point, but had to play in our annual competition against the Ladies. They play off the reds plus three more shots and we're back on the yellows but playing off the Ladies indices. This really is a one off match with bragging rights for the year and God help you if you lose. So there we are giving away 20 shots and thankfully the infection held off for 24 hours. Blow me I par four of the first five holes, drop one on 6 and then par 7,8 and 9. We ran out easy winners and I could go home to bed. I have no idea what had changed and if I knew I wouldn't be playing off 17......:D

At my first golf club most board competitions were won by someone in the foxes section (12-18 handicap) simply because their golf was erratic, every now and then they could shoot ten under but most weeks well over their handicap, lower handicap golfers tend to play far more consistently, also most board competitions had a maximum handicap of 18 which clipped the wings of  Rabbits(high handicappers).

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Gordon, 

That would have been some monster of a layout,  if you had continued with it and we wouldn't have had the ups and downs of the ET saga on here, not to mention the down time whilst you chase little white balls around the odd field or two.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Given that you'd already painted over it, I'm amazed and pleased that you found it at all, well done.

As mentioned above with the golf, it is exactly this sort of frustration which can cause even the most ardent modeller to consider chucking the lot in the bin.

I'm glad you resisted the urge,

Al.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gordon s said:

Another week or so without finding the short and it would have been down the tip

Hi Gordon,

Next time: Disconnect the track supply -- connect a car battery across the tracks -- switch the lights off and wait for your eyes to accustom.

After a while you will either see some sparking, glowing, or smell burning. Follow your nose.

There may be a little damage to the track, but nothing you can't fix.

cheers,

Martin.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

Hello Gordon,

I think your post will help me and others whom encounter issues such as this because if it can happen to you it can happen to anyone. It also highlights a consequence of using copperclad sleepers that many of us would not even have thought of.

Look forward to seeing more of your endeavours.

trustytrev.:)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1