Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

Hi Kier, thanks for the pic, much appreciated and a warm welcome to the ups and downs of ET...

As someone who grew up in Palmers Green and spent my trainspotting youth in Wood Green and Hornsey, your layout of Hornsey Broadway is an inspiration. Your modelling skills are outstanding and although the period is probably 10 years after my note book period, everything about the layout screams out north London and that particular locale.

I just love the retaining walls that were very much part of the main line out of Kings Cross. One day I will hope to see Hornsey on the local exhibition circuit. It's up there with a few other must see layouts....

Edit: Just realised you have cut right through the turnout from a slip and bang on the crossing....:o

As my daughter would say. Respect....

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Gordon

I am with you on turnouts on baseboard joins, if they can be avoided its best to do so.

I also have been thinking about solder recently, after watching Tony Wrights video on loco building I bought some 2% silver high temperature solder, for both soldering Vees and etched kit main parts together, so far using Carrs red flux results not quite as good as hoped for, will try the Green(nasty) flux which I find best for soldering steel.

I am still using some very old solder wire (all I can see is Alloy 60-40 22swg

A quick Google states 60/40 solder is made of 60% tin and 40% lead. It has a melting point of around 190°C    22 Swg = 0.028” / 0.711mm. I find this an excellent all round solder for kit (etched) building and track building. Use 70 degree for soldering whitemetal, but will try 100 degree for soldering whitemetal to brass in the future. 

• Like 2

Thanks John, this is the one that arrived this morning.

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/welding-brazing-and-soldering/solders/multicore-60-40-solder-wire-reel-500gm/f/6145

Free postage and delivery within 48 hours, so no complaints.

In terms of flux, I use a C & W flux pen. A quick scrape with a fibre glass pen and then a dab of this flux and the solder really flows well leaving that bright, shiny surface of a decent joint.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/solder-flux-removers-cleaners/3217289?cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-CSS_UK_EN_Tools-_-Soldering_And_Desoldering_Tools|Solder_Flux_Removers_And_Cleaners-_-PRODUCT_GROUP&matchtype=&pla-393922589193&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItor4xqyc5wIVGODtCh3jKgIcEAQYASABEgJKdvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Informative/Useful 1

59 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Thanks John, this is the one that arrived this morning.

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/welding-brazing-and-soldering/solders/multicore-60-40-solder-wire-reel-500gm/f/6145

Free postage and delivery within 48 hours, so no complaints.

In terms of flux, I use a C & W flux pen. A quick scrape with a fibre glass pen and then a dab of this flux and the solder really flows well leaving that bright, shiny surface of a decent joint.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/solder-flux-removers-cleaners/3217289?cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-CSS_UK_EN_Tools-_-Soldering_And_Desoldering_Tools|Solder_Flux_Removers_And_Cleaners-_-PRODUCT_GROUP&matchtype=&pla-393922589193&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItor4xqyc5wIVGODtCh3jKgIcEAQYASABEgJKdvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I think i should be the one who says thanks, I was given the solder by my sister, she and her husband has a small company making wiring looms. As for flux, as I said for track building I use Carrs red flux, according to the specification its organic and non corrosive (still should be rinsed clean) ideal for whitemetal and nonferrous metals, but is low (?) temperature as breaks down at 240 degrees to leave a non corrosive residue. So on hind sight may not be the best for something with 2% silver ? But looking at the other Carrs flux's I cannot see which one is best!!

Still I am in the group who thing more is best where flux is concerned.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gordon s said:

What's a few years amongst friends....:drink_mini:

How are things progressing on your own layout? I'm sure you will have made another two whilst I've been messing around.

Very well thanks.  Trackwork and signalling done. It's amazing how being able to run trains gets in the way of other things. Haven't updated thread on here for a good while but have been pottering on with the scenery and buildings.  Like you and your track I've done this in manageable chunks away from the layout and hopefully soon the whole lot will slot together like  well made jigsaw.  

Well that's the theory anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Glad to hear all is well and happy to follow the signature link to Crianlarich (very loosely). Always thought that was a strange name for a station.

I guess the earlier one was somewhat loosely, but it just wore out.....;)

Cut out another stack of A4 sheets (so much for save the planet. Greta will be on the phone soon...) and decision made. Existing corner board is now defunct and the new one will be cut over the weekend. What I thought would be disappointing will actually free up some space and allow those of us with Christmas waistlines to move around more comfortably.

Really enjoyed Wolves v Liverpool last night and for once The Reds looked in trouble, but somehow Champions never know they're beat. Wish I could say that about Spurs....

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Wish I could say that about Spurs....

I'll be at St Mary's tomorrow to see the mighty Saints do battle with them in the cup....not expecting too much but it was only £15 for the ticket and a chance for a day out with son and grandson. 

Even if it's a lousy match it'll be a chance to hurl some gentle abuse at the miserable Portugese one.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Gordon

Never be afraid of points over baseboards joins. Mike Edge, Nicktoix and other members of the Leeds MRS have been doing this for many years.

Fluxite for track, dilute phosphoric for steel. All joints need a wash.

You can, if confident enough, weld whitemetal together. Clean joint ..but don't use a fibre glass brush, check its square, add a bit of flux, tin soldering iron...weld...

Baz

Edited by Barry O
Grammaticals
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 24/01/2020 at 16:16, PhilH said:

I'll be at St Mary's tomorrow to see the mighty Saints do battle with them in the cup....not expecting too much but it was only £15 for the ticket and a chance for a day out with son and grandson. 

Even if it's a lousy match it'll be a chance to hurl some gentle abuse at the miserable Portugese one.

Did Jose appreciate it?

Been sticking cork down, so didn't check the score all afternoon.

Must have been a big cheer when the equaliser went in three minutes from time. Hope you all had a good time. Probably a good financial result with a replay to come....;)

Edited by gordon s

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gordon s said:

Did Jose appreciate it?

Been sticking cork down, so didn't check the score all afternoon.

Must have been a big cheer when the equaliser went in three minutes from time. Hope you all had a good time. Probably a good financial result with a replay to come....;)

It was a cracking game, strong sides and both wanted it. I thought we should have had a pen ( of course I did) but Spurs looked really good on the counter. A couple of good goals, good atmosphere from a good crowd but...what has happened to Dele Alli? He'd struggle to get into a Sunday league team on his showing today.

Jose? According to the crowd he's just a **** Pochettino....

Edited by PhilH
  • Funny 2

I've never really been a fan of Alli. OK, he will have one magic moment, but often is totally overrated.

Give me Jimmy Greaves in his heyday any day of the week...although he'd probably be knackered after 10 minutes with the pace of modern football.....:D

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 24/01/2020 at 16:16, PhilH said:

Go on, be honest, did you stay ‘till the end?

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, PhilH said:

Too true, I paid 15 whole English pounds for the ticket...

Hi PhilH

Are you Scotsman then....? I thought only the Scottish folk did that type of thing lol haha

Regards

Jamie

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 7APT7 said:

Hi PhilH

Are you Scotsman then....? I thought only the Scottish folk did that type of thing lol haha

Regards

Jamie

Why not pay 7.50 and just go for the second half?

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 7APT7 said:

Hi PhilH

Regards

Jamie

No, I find skirts a bit draughty

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

13 hours ago, PhilH said:

No, I find skirts a bit draughty

Hi PhilH

I was like... that's funny and then it turned to.... eh, How do you know skirts a bit draughty... Hmmm

I'm curios by nature, but I can't help but think now you say that...

Do you have some experiences you would like to get off your chest and out in to the open haha lol and share with us all, after all... a problem shared, is a problem halved, as they say... this is a nice private place where no one will say nothing lol its just banter between friends lol 

With regards to your comment though, I can't say that is information I've ever known myself personally... but than, I'm not a Scotsman lol

Regard

Jamie

1 hour ago, 7APT7 said:

Hi PhilH

I was like... that's funny and then it turned to.... eh, How do you know skirts a bit draughty... Hmmm

I'm curios by nature, but I can't help but think now you say that...

Do you have some experiences you would like to get off your chest and out in to the open haha lol and share with us all, after all... a problem shared, is a problem halved, as they say... this is a nice private place where no one will say nothing lol its just banter between friends lol 

With regards to your comment though, I can't say that is information I've ever known myself personally... but than, I'm not a Scotsman lol

Regard

Jamie

As a kilt-wearing Scotsman myself, I can assure you there is nothing draughty about wearing the full nine yards!

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

15 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

As a kilt-wearing Scotsman myself, I can assure you there is nothing draughty about wearing the full nine yards!

Haha... bigwordsmith...

Thanks for clearing that up for me... and yeah nine yards, must be snug as rug with that much material... 

Is just over to you now then PhilH, you sure you don't want to share a secret with us all... it want go any further than me... but I can only speak for myself lol

Regards

Jamie