gordon s

Eastwood Town - Let there be light.....

On 27/06/2020 at 09:11, gordon s said:

Thought it was too good to last. B*gger returned again this morning with a vengeance. Protective screens are a work in progress, but the b*gger found a gap no more than 6" wide through the plants and air pump to get in under the wires. This one is X rated as one swallow and it's gone, whole.....

That was bad enough, but he came back again to dive in through the wires at the deep end to help himself to another.....I'd always thought things were secure at the deep end as herons tend to walk in. Electrification of the wires that end may be on the cards, but until then some more plastic netting is called for.

This last week or so, has made me wonder just how many fish we have lost before the camera was installed as we had no idea this was such an issue.

Control panel is out now until additional defences are installed. They may not be pretty, but something has to be done.

I've been through all of this, lost all our fish including large Koi.

It started with a garden centre guy recommending one of those plastic herons, "herons are territorial and won't go on another herons patch"...exept, one morning we saw a real heron talking to the plastic one!

The next step was to fit 18" rods around the pool and fishing gut so that the heron couldn't walk into the pool, the next attempt was to fit sensors and a loud bell, only to find one morning that the bell was ringing and the heron was in the pool.

Criss cross nylon was tried like yours...no good, the best method is mesh, this works a treat except, there was a tiny hole where the mesh wasn't pulled right at one end of the pond and under some bushes, the sod got in there and took all the fish!

Today, the pond is no more, it's a lawn :)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

Hi Gordon

So sorry to hear about Archie. We can quite understand how you and your  wife feel about his loss. I guess with the age multiplier, as a dog lover, Its bound to happen more than once in ones lifetime.....certainly the case with us......nevertheless and even though its often expected, on each and every occasion it leaves a large hole in ones life.

Over time you do get over it and there is pleasure rather than pain when you recall those happy moments together......but right now its just sadness. I do sympathise with you.

Best wishes

John

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Thanks John, much appreciated. We haven't even talked about looking for another one or two dogs, but it's not like Amazon where you can order on line and a new one turns up tomorrow. Chinese Crested breeders are few and far between and in each litter you will will have mostly the hairless variety and perhaps one or two 'powderpuffs' which our boys are. Most breeders tend to focus on the hairless as they are ones you will see at shows. I wish I could have a £1 for very time we were asked 'what breed are they' and few believed there was such a breed as a Chinese Crested Powderpuff.....:D

I suspect once we make the decision we will be travelling up and down the country to find a genuine breeder and even then it depends on the temperament of each dog.

I can see a lot of miles ahead of me.....

Edited by gordon s
  • Friendly/supportive 8

Evening all.....

Finally got my backside into gear and made some progress on the mimic diagram for ET station. Still a few areas that may need a tidy up, but overall I'm happy with the result. Templot is an amazing program and two or three weeks ago when I was working on this panel most days, it was all second nature and click, click, click without reference to anything. This afternoon I sat down in front of the screen and could not recall anything......:D

Thankfully Martin's notes and videos are invaluable, so it was back to school for the first hour or so. I have no idea if this in an age thing or simply everyday use makes software simpler, but it all comes back to you eventually...

Here we go....

et_mimic_panel.jpg.b1553d5cad417bb33b704f43cb7c77d2.jpg

I'd love a proper totem rather than the plain rectangle, but couldn't find anything on the web. The nearest I could get visually to Gill Sans was Tahoma, but it look OK. This panel will be 1m wide x 300mm deep, so should be visible even for me....;)

This panel covers all the main running lines. 5 & 6 are station goods sidings, 7 goes to the main shed and 8 is to the traverser storage. 9 is a few carriage sidings plus a possible diesel shed. Each of these areas (7, 8, 9) will be done via a local control panel with their own switches and led’s for local control.

I'm hoping to paste up some prints onto 2mm pdf sheet and then build a mock up before finalising the design for professional printing on laminated paper.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 7

Gordon

Have you thought of creating a PDF of the diagram and taking it to a vinyl printer?

We've done this with a couple of our club layout boards with some more to come. We've then used sheet aluminium onto which the vinyls are stuck. They seem very hard wearing.

• Informative/Useful 2

Apologies if that wasn't clear, Ray, that's what I will be doing, but didn't want to waste time and money professionally printing something until I was 100% sure what I have is both visually and functionally correct.  I realise I said laminated paper, but I meant a plasticised sheet along the lines of vinyl or similar.

I want to build a 'mock up' to test how it all hangs together in practice and also to verify the whole question of route selection via the ECoS control. I know this may seem like overkill, but if previous versions of ET are anything to go by, sometimes unforeseen issues arise as things develop.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just thinking about vinyl sheet, Ray, that sound a great idea. I got my wires crossed over between plastic laminated paper and pure vinyl sheet.....:D

Does it come in various thicknesses? How did you glue the sheet to the aluminium substrate?

I was thinking originally about some 3m spray adhesive, but I'm not sure if that would cover vinyl.

Did you leave it without a protective top layer?

Loads of possibilities, so thanks for the suggestion.

We use an adhesive backed vinyl. There's no protective layer on it but the good old (clear) "sticky back plastic" might be sufficient if you want some added protection.

The aluminium is reasonably sturdy on smaller panels and hasn't required any support other than around the outer edge - ours are no more than 2ft in width and about 1ft deep. We will be building a wider one in due course but that's not at the top of the priority list when meetings start up again otherwise I'd be able to give you some feed back on the larger size.

One of our members found the aluminium sheet supplier on line. I recall there was a choice of thickness as well but can't remember what we've used, sorry.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, gordon s said:

I'd love a proper totem rather than the plain rectangle, but couldn't find anything

Hi Gordon,

I don't know what you mean by a totem, but you can create whatever you want on the sketchboard in Templot:

et_logo.png.90c734a9d05c724980e3307e8b26d90d.png

That's 3 items -- a rounded rectangle with the corners set to 50%, a circle, and a formatted text block. Use the align functions to centralize them all both ways, and then the combine function to create a single item which you can copy and paste, rotate, etc.

cheers,

Martin.

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi Gordon,

Something like this?

et_logo1.png.c7c26450bd546cf5b0d1c2ed109b315c.png

Is the border too thick? Is it the wrong blue? Should the sausage be longer? On the sketchboard the formatted text is a metafile, so you can stretch it and distort it to fit -- I tried to get the Os to be perfect circles.

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks Martin......I wasn’t dropping a hint....:D

I’ve shut down my Windows machine now, so will play around with it over the next few days.

Gordon, sorry to hear about Archie. Now's definitely not the time to get a new one, though - from what I've heard, pedigree dog (or designer dog, like Cockapoo etc) prices have sky-rocketed during lockdown - some are selling at three times the pre-Covid19 prices.

My Mac has Gill Sans included in its software as standard (Pages etc) - worth checking your Mac out (I seem to remember you had a Mac too?)

• Thanks 1

We had noticed the same with dachshund s we have one( a photo appears in the thread in wheeltappers ) but would love a doggy companion for him 

Sorry to go off topic