Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gordon,

I agree with Simon that your B is the most likely for historical reasons. You could even use different style/brickwork, and possibly a lower arch for the side spans if the road on top is ramping up each side. 

But your A is perfectly acceptable -- although as drawn your central bridge pier is far too wide. The fast lines could be slewed round it, so that the side spacings reduce to 6ft way, like this:

gordon_bridge_c.png.e783feae9d9eafdfebd34d028efba487.png

cheers,

Martin.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Just North of Sandy, the original GN mainline was just 2 lines and the area pictured was planned as a tunnel, it was dug out for the sand (embankments) and then widened to 4 lines in the 1890's, the bridge (Cambridge road) dates from that time.

!cid_F9E361D3-815A-481D-9020-F32C8AD98778@local.jpg.dbd6522a6e8404bba0af0624e5caf168.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Dave, that’s great. I remembered as a kid when they widened out Hadley Wood and added the new tunnel. Great place to watch Gresley’s finest. Cycle up to Cockfosters and down through the woods. Over the bridge and the down to lineside. Wonderful!

If only I had a time machine.....

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

That's a cracking photo of Crispy Daves there. Look at the neatness of the ballast on the down slow.. I just love the tonal mix of the colours as well.

A classic (a bit like Dave....)

Andy G

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, gordon s said:

Just in case you think it's all paper modelling, I have started to build a test model of a four track bridge that is skewed across the main lines and curved to boot. It's times like this, I bless my old maths teacher who taught me about circles, segments and arches all those years ago. Looking OK at the moment and that's given me a bit of confidence to push on.

Why do I need a four arch bridge?......

All will become clear soon....:D

DSCF0077.jpg.ff992c043f9f22441ea8420cda87df15.jpg

DSCF0080.jpg.14565f587d2ce009eba1585ff3cf4216.jpg

Room for plenty of buses there.

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gordon s said:

Just in case you think it's all paper modelling, I have started to build a test model of a four track bridge that is skewed across the main lines and curved to boot. It's times like this, I bless my old maths teacher who taught me about circles, segments and arches all those years ago. Looking OK at the moment and that's given me a bit of confidence to push on.

Why do I need a four arch bridge?......

All will become clear soon....:D

DSCF0077.jpg.ff992c043f9f22441ea8420cda87df15.jpg

DSCF0080.jpg.14565f587d2ce009eba1585ff3cf4216.jpg

That's only 3 Arches....

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gordon,

An updated version of Templot is now on the server.

It includes the option for setting track spacings in mm directly. Also labels-off is included in the saved preferences.

Restart Templot and follow the notes to install the update.

( If your Templot system is not connected to the internet, download the file from here:  http://templot.com/companion/installation.php  Save it onto a USB stick, transfer it to your Templot system, and open it on the stick. )

cheers,

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Thank you so much, Martin. Your support really is much appreciated....

Maths never was my strong point, Stubby. I got crossed over between three arches and four tracks...:mail:

I now have a bridge mock up that went together easier than I expected. Once you've calculated the various widths and the height of the arch above the pillars, it's fairly straightforward to calculate the radius required to form each arch support. Because the bridge is curved and on a skew, none of the arch openings are the same, so each was calculated and then hand cut. I'm pleased with the result as this was just a test piece for a fairly radical change, that will now go ahead.

DSCF0083.jpg.f96da176d300cc3708c53c46887ff424.jpg

DSCF0084.jpg.4564666618563eff38e75d0e1908590b.jpg

As you have probably guessed by now a few things have been bugging me, particularly around the space between boards to walk around ET without continually having to squeeze by things with the inevitable risk of knocking something off the boards. I was sitting having my usual bi weekly infusion at home when a 'what if' thought came into my mind. Supposing the traverser could move partly under the loco shed area? Yes, it would involve some changes to the boards yet to be built, but it could be possible if I could get my head round the necessary bridge and build one from scratch. The prototype I've knocked up was from some old MDF offcuts was just to see how difficult it would be.

It would also involve my 'bete noire’ (gradients) but as time goes by and you gain knowledge and understanding of the principles involved, they somehow become more attractive again. ET is basically a flat continuous layout and it was crying out for height variances to provide interest. The starting point was to elevate the shed area by 70mm and lower the traverser bed by 70mm. This would allow the traverser route to dive under the shed access road, bringing into play a downslope into a narrow cutting and an elevated section that would now circle out of ET station and rise over the four track main line.

It's a win win all round as loco's in the shed will now be at a higher level and you will have a train spotter's view point. The traverser will sit 140mm below the shed board and that will allow it to be moved inboard so that the 5th track will be in the open with the traverser full in. Pulling it out will than allow the 1st track to come into the open. The space saving is then 200mm, not an insignificant amount, when every few mm counts. I haven't moved it in the plan below as the overlapping would tracks would make it a mess to look at.

The road down to the traverser will be lower and that will allow a second bridge into the shed area which will cover road access for vehicular traffic. The four track main line will then sit in a shallow cutting and run through two, three arch bridges, which in itself could prove an attractive feature.

It's funny how these things eventually find their way to the front, which is one of the reasons I've been tinkering around with all the paper modelling.....:D

I'm now much happier with the overall plan. Just need to sort something out on the industrial front in the top left of the layout. I've pulled out the two sidings and will come up with something. On the other hand perhaps it will just be a scenic area as there are a few bits of track there already...;)

Modified plan.

sketchboard_2019_11_19_1438_46.jpg.412c7b744888fc91958bd6eccf267f33.jpg

I would hope in another few weeks, it will really take shape. Golf is now weather conditional, so I expect to have a bit more time available.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gordon,

If you have updated Templot yesterday you are probably finding that your large track plan is now taking much longer to save. That's because it is now also exporting a MECBOX file, and I have forgotten to implement the switch on that option. I'm very sorry about that and will get it fixed as soon as poss.

In the meantime, there is a work around you can use:  save group and then group select all.

On the trackpad that's the group > save group... menu item.

Or on the storage box, the save group... button or the group > save group templates... menu item.

More info here: http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=3558&forum_id=1

More about MECBOX here: http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=3555&forum_id=20

cheers,

Martin.

Thanks SS. As someone who is paranoid about upgrades which may mean I'm totally confused with no route back, I have checked my machine spec against the needs of Windows 10 and it does have the basics in terms of processor speed, Ram etc. It also has Direct X 11, so I assume it is OK.

The PC I have only runs Templot plus internet browsing. If I go ahead with the free upgrade as per your link, will there be any issues or more to the point, is there anything else I need to check?

You're talking to someone who was running XP until this year, so change doesn't come easy.....:D

I'd also hate to screw up my access to Templot and years of plans.....

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, gordon s said:

Thanks SS. As someone who is paranoid about upgrades which may mean I'm totally confused with no route back, I have checked my machine spec against the needs of Windows 10 and it does have the basics in terms of processor speed, Ram etc. It also has Direct X 11, so I assume it is OK.

The PC I have only runs Templot plus internet browsing. If I go ahead with the free upgrade as per your link, will there be any issues or more to the point, is there anything else I need to check?

You're talking to someone who was running XP until this year, so change doesn't come easy.....:D

I'd also hate to screw up my access to Templot and years of plans.....

I had been quite reticent to upgrade my laptop, but win 7 stopped finding the online info on ripped CDs, which I upload to my phone to listen to when I drive long distances as I get fed up with the radio dropping in and out and I can still get the traffic reports as long as I can get a radio signal. I've not experienced any problems,  but it does take a while in the first instance, I did back everything up onto my external SSD before I started, just in case it all went pear shaped and found the original installation disc,  but all went well.

All the best, which ever course you choose.

Downloading (or uploading) Windows 10 as I type on my Mac, so hopeful all will be OK. Thanks for the link SS, as that's saves a few bob...

Made a start on the stairwell board changes, now the track plan has been modified and approved....;)

It's hasn't been as straightforward as I would have liked, as the outer continuous loop completely straddled the board edge. I was blowed if I was going to remake the whole thing, so cut some apertures in the outside strengthening walls and managed to slide in some 12mm ply support plates. These were glued and screwed to the underside of the existing board.

DSCF0086.jpg.c9414ffe113f3365ad59601bd7e60858.jpg

Spent some time printing out plans and once correctly aligned, cut round the shape so that it butted against the outer curve of the existing board. This was never going to be a perfect fit, so I will fill the gap, before sanding flat and laying the cork bed for the new loop. Luckily enough the join will be directly under the new track, so won't be seen anyway.

DSCF0088.jpg.4e9dabf4bcde8b5350bd25e87be3ad58.jpg

Once the gradient start points were calculated, I cut the slots to allow both the up and down track beds to move independently from the main board. To give each of these beds some rigidity, I cut some 6mm side faces and these have been fixed under the tracked. I used to use a whole set of clamps and PVA to stick these together, but whilst building our new kitchen I came across 'mitre bond' which is a two part superglue. It bonds in seconds and gives a very strong joint. As with any superglue type product, you have to be careful not to glue your fingers together, but it's great stuff to use.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-mitre-adhesive-trade-pack-400ml/35338?kpid=35338&ds_kid=92700048793315993&ds_rl=1249416&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpODDhpf-5QIVRLTtCh39UAzPEAQYAiABEgJpfPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

DSCF0093.jpg.045bb9cf738b1a58c434b2ca297fe46c.jpg

The new track bed is starting to take shape, with the up and down gradient starting from the same point. The outer will go up to the loco shed and the inner one will go down to the traverser.

DSCF0094.jpg.6743c5706b34d1b20e7d0020b61e497c.jpg

The bridge board over the stairwell will have to be completely rebuilt to add the new tracks. I should be able to lift the crossover and relay it on the new board. I didn't particularly want to scrap any of the boards, but this one is only four feet long and only has two tracks, neither of which have been ballasted, so a small price to pay for the long term benefits the new plan will bring.

Family here for the weekend, so not a lot will be done for a few days. Getting there....

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Gordon

I also found out the usefulness of mitre bond, as Wicks supplied it with the kitchen and the kitchen fitter (indpendantly) used it as did the window fitters, great stuff

I also found a product from a local independent builders merchant/hardware store Extreme by Schtuk. I guess a bit like no more nails.  Sticks everything.!!  I have just used it to stick closed cell foam to plywood, as well as sticking my new ply baseboards together in conjunction with mitre bond

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3