Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Regularity said:

Personally, I get peed off when people drag arguments from one thread into another.

Especially when they seem unable to understand the role their behaviour (such as using someone else’s thread to continue the argument, when the thread host has clearly said he doesn’t want to be part of any gauge wars) might have in leading to such threads becoming locked.

But maybe that’s just me?

I agree, and I apologise for posting in the wrong topic. I have deleted it. Sorry Gordon.

I have now been out for a walk, calmed down, and sitting by the fire with a cup of tea and some toast. No more RMweb today, I shall get back to Templot. :)

Martin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Rain...wot rain???

20200225_092640.jpg.b6478f5c3ebd3bfb5d1494dab49fd4cc.jpg

Although they did have some snow on the mountain tops last week.  

A lot of NZ is desperate for rain.

Keep safe and warm Gordon!

Baz

Off on a wine tour around Blenheim

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, gordon s said:

The support and help I've had from Martin and numerous others has been invaluable and I regard you all as good friends even though we've never met.

Well said, Gordon.  This sums up my perspective on RMWeb perfectly.

Onward!

Regards

Scott

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, gordon s said:

I'm very happy with 00-SF (or insert gauge of choice) and it doesn't matter how much proof is provided that it doesn't work, this is a free country and I will make my own choice, thank you. No amount of brain beating or willy waving will change that.

Perhaps that could be pinned to the front page of RMWeb?

Mike.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 4

I don't care what other say or think I am just envious of your trackwork. I dream of being able to produce sweeping curves and point work to match but come from the hamfisted branch of the hobby. For me it will be the Peco Bullhead range but will continue to dream..............

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't care what other say or think I am just envious of your trackwork. I dream of being able to produce sweeping curves and point work to match but come from the hamfisted branch of the hobby. For me it will be the Peco Bullhead range but will continue to dream..............

Keith

Something I saw recently stopped me dead in my tracks (apologies for the pun)....:D

Hornsey Broadway is one of my all time favourite layouts. Having grown up in the area, it lives and breathes North London and is outstanding in every way. BRM has a massive feature on this fabulous layout this month and Andy has taken some beautiful photographs, all of which really show the layout in its full glory.

It was the first thing I went to when to when I accessed the magazine and having drooled over all the pics, I sat down to read the text and something suddenly screamed out at me.

I can't copy this part of the magazine for copyright reasons, but I will retype Kier's text. 

"There's a lot of track and pointwork to maintain, with long heavy trains passing over it on a regular basis, so I felt the most important factor had to be reliability over prettiness. It was a conscious decision to revert back to using copper clad sleepers for all the pointwork on the scenic area, as this speeded up construction considerably and I have always found this method robust and easy to adjust. Look closely and it will be obvious (no it wasn't without knowing beforehand), so with some careful ballasting and weathering, this aspect of the track work isn't so noticeable as it blends in with the ready to lay C & L sections as part of a much bigger scene".

Look at the pics, they are fabulous and I had no idea the pointwork was all copper clad. This certainly reinforces what John was saying and cuts across all those purist views that solder construction always fails the photographic test. Of course knowing beforehand is not a fair test.......

262144606_Screenshot2020-02-25at09_24_08.png.acbe42cd4ca5e08bbf33afe9c601e10b.png

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 12
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

It doesn't matter what gauge one models in, as discovered last weekend at the Glasgow show. My mate's new EM layout wasn't running 100% so on Saturday morning work was started to sort out the problem. It was found Dave had made his points to all the known popular gauges and a few new ones. :search:

Dave did say in his defense he was an enthusiastic amateur track builder, with a big smile on his face.

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Dave did say in his defense he was an enthusiastic amateur track builder,

Not enthusiastic enough to take enough care and time the first time around.

with a big smile on his face.

Oh well, that’s alright then. It doesn’t matter that people paid to get in.

And yes, I have exhibited a layout with hand built track, and it did have problems requiring attention at its third outing (for reasons I still don’t understand: the problems hadn’t been there before), so I know it can happen, but by chance, not poor design.

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Something I saw recently stopped me dead in my tracks (apologies for the pun)....:D

Hornsey Broadway is one of my all time favourite layouts. Having grown up in the area, it lives and breathes North London and is outstanding in every way. 

I saw this layout at Glasgow on Saturday and have to agree. It is superb.  

• Agree 4

37 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Hornsey Broadway is one of my all time favourite layouts. Having grown up in the area, it lives and breathes North London and is outstanding in every way. BRM has a massive feature on this fabulous layout this month and Andy has taken some beautiful photographs, all of which really show the layout in its full glory.

It was the first thing I went to when to when I accessed the magazine and having drooled over all the pics, I sat down to read the text and something suddenly screamed out at me.

I can't copy this part of the magazine for copyright reasons, but I will retype Kier's text. 

"There's a lot of track and pointwork to maintain, with long heavy trains passing over it on a regular basis, so I felt the most important factor had to be reliability over prettiness. It was a conscious decision to revert back to using copper clad sleepers for all the pointwork on the scenic area, as this speeded up construction considerably and I have always found this method robust and easy to adjust. Look closely and it will be obvious (no it wasn't without knowing beforehand), so with some careful ballasting and weathering, this aspect of the track work isn't so noticeable as it blends in with the ready to lay C & L sections as part of a much bigger scene".

Look at the pics, they are fabulous and I had no idea the pointwork was all copper clad. This certainly reinforces what John was saying and cuts across all those purist views that solder construction always fails the photographic test. Of course knowing beforehand is not a fair test.......

262144606_Screenshot2020-02-25at09_24_08.png.acbe42cd4ca5e08bbf33afe9c601e10b.png

I first saw Liverpool Lime street many years ago in Watford, long before the station buildings at the front and the roof was on its first outing and unpainted had been built and no one ever commented at the lack of chair detail or ballasting in many areas,  Chairs and ballast are still being fitted and ballast being laid. Rightly I have never heard any complaints, simply because its a wonderful bit of theatre. Now how many have noticed how they operate their turnouts and crossings, no one has ever commented as thee is so much other action and detail to absorb. Has anyone complained its EM rather than P4. None of these things matter or spoil the enjoyment of viewing it

All of us have our own hobby horses, sadly I failed miserably on converting Gordon to chaired track, but it matters not. What I can say to those who think they are hamfisted and cannot make track. We all started that way and like Mr Player the more we practice the better we get 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Regularity said:

Not enthusiastic enough to take enough care and time the first time around.

Oh well, that’s alright then. It doesn’t matter that people paid to get in.

And yes, I have exhibited a layout with hand built track, and it did have problems requiring attention at its third outing (for reasons I still don’t understand: the problems hadn’t been there before), so I know it can happen, but by chance, not poor design.

Bit like paying to get in and watching a secondhand layout with three serious faced old boys behind it, that was boring to watch when I was still in short trousers as the only bit of interest on the real thing still hasn't been modelled.

• Funny 2

You didn't fail miserably, John, far from it...

I'd never have made this if it wasn't for you. The only reason or staying with solder clad was one of time and as Kier says above, robustness and ease of adjustment. Once ET really is up and running and the scenic work is well underway, I may start a programme of replacing them one at a time. I will certainly consider making them for the shed area where ballasting will be non existent other than the ash/dirt infill that is the norm in sheds. It is also closer to eye level and right in the centre of the room. If all else fails, I'll commission you to build them for me....:D

Seems I've lost a chair somewhere....;)

DSCF8295.jpg.0813c107f002fc30c138cf3db9795d8f.jpg

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, gordon s said:

I'm very happy with 00-SF and it doesn't matter how much proof is provided that it doesn't work, this is a free country and I will make my own choice, thank you. No amount of brain beating or willy waving will change that.

4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Perhaps that could be pinned to the front page of RMWeb?

Mike.

Well yes.  I imagine a website that mentions willy waving on its front page will go from strength to strength!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Bogie said:

Well yes.  I imagine a website that mentions willy waving on its front page will go from strength to strength!

Particularly when it also mentions models...

• Funny 4

18 minutes ago, kandc_au said:

For the ignorant....how do they operate their points please?
Khris

Chris

I will explain but first just to emphasise the point I am trying to make, look at some photos first

Before going to page 78  on the 7th December have a look at a few earlier photos with and without ballast

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, gordon s said:

You didn't fail miserably, John, far from it...

I'd never have made this if it wasn't for you. The only reason or staying with solder clad was one of time and as Kier says above, robustness and ease of adjustment. Once ET really is up and running and the scenic work is well underway, I may start a programme of replacing them one at a time. I will certainly consider making them for the shed area where ballasting will be non existent other than the ash/dirt infill that is the norm in sheds. It is also closer to eye level and right in the centre of the room. If all else fails, I'll commission you to build them for me....:D

Seems I've lost a chair somewhere....;)

DSCF8295.jpg.0813c107f002fc30c138cf3db9795d8f.jpg

Don't know if I can cone up to your standards, but agree with you about the shed area being something where the eye is drawn into the detail, where as the main layout is more of a broad brush effect. Adjusting any mistakes just needs a scalpel with a number 10 (curved) blade and some chairs cut in half .

Maybe I just need a ton of patience, some desoldering braid, plastic chairs, tiddly fingers, 110% eyesight and rock steady hands and I can convert all 40 odd turnouts in the station approaches.....

Good grief, John, Lime Street really does go above and beyond...:D

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Maybe I just need a ton of patience, some desoldering braid, plastic chairs, tiddly fingers, 110% eyesight and rock steady hands and I can convert all 40 odd turnouts in the station approaches.....

Good grief, John, Lime Street really does go above and beyond...:D

I have seen it two if not three times and its awe inspiring. First saw it at the Watford Finescale show and was able to watch from behind, like Pendon it sets standards one can only aspire to. But with a layout this size and complexity its a team effort.

For ET, I agree with you copperclad for the main layout is the most appropriate method of track building, its the overall scene with the locos moving through it which is important. As for the shed, it could be said can be argued either way, as its a large complex scene, which like the layout can be taken in as a whole vista. Or it could be an area where you can go into extra detail, providing that it does not hinder operation

For me I am building a small layout, where in practice not much happens most of the time, it will be the small cameo's that will make the difference, not stock whizzing past 

In the end does it matter, but more importantly you are now starting to enjoy using it

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

On Chapel the scenic side of the layout is made up with chaired track. No one says much about it and it is a lot less east to fettle than copperclad. 

Not sure if the extra work is worth it. 

Baz

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1