Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

Come on guys it’s his first post, has been a member for less than 48hrs, sure a poor choice of words but give the guy a break. So he’s ripped up his own layout but that can’t be purely on the build quality of Eastwood Town can it? And would it adversely affect you if you learned that somebody withdrew from the hobby because they couldn’t achieve the quality of your model making … be sensible!

Ian

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I was trying to make two points, both of which I stand by.

Firstly, if you are put off from doing something by the fact that somebody else can do it better - that's your problem not theirs.

Secondly, high quality modellers like Gordon and others "bear their souls" on here for others' benefit. Anyone who has read Gordon's stuff should be able to see he is going through a bad time with his modelling mogo. It's not right to offload onto him.

I'll leave it there

• Like 9

I agree totally with Colin.

It's nothing to do with how many posts anyone has made.

I'd forgotten that I made a list of reasons to move from England back in the eighties, one of them was the propensity of people to blame others for their own "issues". It's about taking responsibility for one's own actions.

This just a minor version of that, of course...but all the same.

Best, Pete.

• Like 6

CoBo has visited the site and concluded his modelling is not up to a standard. Whatever that standard may be, we don't know, but he is obviously dissaffected. It is his problem but can we assist him in any way? Can he tell us what he considered was wrong with his trackwork? It might be an idea for CoBo to start his own thread then those that want to assist can do so. At least he would be doing something positive instead of just giving up. Blimey, I'm not usually a social worker type....I think I had better revisit the Tory website for a thorough wipping! :mosking:

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Can understand the need to scratch the golf itch as if you tried to play in December getting trench foot would have been possible. I hope to be scratching the itch myself in the morning. Just need to get up in time to get one of the early slots in the roll up.

Also, do you ever use golf to vent frustration? I find sometimes, just picturing the thing that is bugging you on the ball, and then smacking it as hard as I can a great release. Can't do that to a model or something not going right. 

• Like 1

Thanks Gordon.... Love your build.  I've just read through your entire thread, all of your trials and tribulations, amendments to 'the plan', illness etc etc. Conclusion - I've just been upstairs to my loft and spent several hours ripping up my track. Seeing the quality of your build, from someone who claims not to know what they're doing, depressed me beyond belief and now I'm totally de-motivated with a pile of track I don't know what to do with.

"C'est la vie" so they say but, at 69 I don't know whether I'll ever regain the enthusiasm to start again - only time will tell....

Mike

ps. not really your fault, just an age thing, I think.....

A friend of mine is a bit older than you and whilst he does little modelling at home spends a few hours a month at Pendon making things. Just do the things you enjoy

Thanks Gordon.... Love your build.  I've just read through your entire thread, all of your trials and tribulations, amendments to 'the plan', illness etc etc. Conclusion - I've just been upstairs to my loft and spent several hours ripping up my track. Seeing the quality of your build, from someone who claims not to know what they're doing, depressed me beyond belief and now I'm totally de-motivated with a pile of track I don't know what to do with.

"C'est la vie" so they say but, at 69 I don't know whether I'll ever regain the enthusiasm to start again - only time will tell....

Mike

It seems to me that this was no attempt to blame Gordon but a realisation that it could take many years to complete a layout to a standard that he would now be happy with, having seen what can be done with time, patience, effort and skill (practice, trial and error, scrapping and starting again being common themes of Gordon's posts as he travels the road towards obtaining an end result result he is prepared to accept). I think many of us have re-evaluated what we are prepared to accept as "good enough" having seen some of the work on this web site. Starting again, knowing that it could take many years of effort, is never easy and I for one find my mojo waxes and wanes, particularly in the face of what can feel like a monumental task. But if the pleasure is in the journey rtaher than the end result then I tnk the spark returns eventually. So what if it takes a month to make a turnout that you are happy with, so long as you enjoy (most of) the time spent doing it. Does it make it a waste of time just because you can't find enough hours to finish the rest of the track that will make the turnout useful rather than some bits or rail and PCB sleepers that will never see a train run in anger? Not if you have enjoyed a month of modelling and of learning new skills. But for some the answer will be yes because, at the end of the day, seeing trains run is what we all love to see and if that cannot happen then what's the point? I can see both sides of the coin as I have been there myself.... 

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Hi CoBo,

The answer is simple. Build two layouts. Whoever heard of having only one layout? smile.gif

Layout #1 is a basic off-the-shelf RTR design -- somewhere where everything just works and if you want to unwind after a busy day you can go and run a few trains, or shunt the yard, or re-paint the stationmaster's hat.

Layout #2 is the layout of your dreams, a sunny afternoon long ago, waiting on the platform end with your notebook and hearing the rustle of the signal wires as the Outer Home in the distance clears for the next one. Only another 5,000 chairs to thread on the rail, and you will be back there at last.

Layout #1 can be as much or as little as you like. A short branch terminus to fiddle yard plank, or a traditional train set roundy-roundy perhaps. There was a topic on Old RMweb about building such a layout in 6 weeks -- ideal for beginners, but also for anyone stuck in the doldrums on a major project: 

file.php?id=2649

file.php?id=5064

file.php?id=8111

file.php?id=8113

The full words and music are in several separate topics in this forum: http://www.rmweb.co....wforum.php?f=44

Starting with this intro topic: http://www.rmweb.co....hp?f=44&t=16169

regards,

Martin.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Blimey, I'm not usually a social worker type....I think I had better revisit the Tory website for a thorough wipping! :mosking:

What would you like today Sir?  The Vacuum Hoses or perhaps the Steam Heat Pipes this time?

• Like 2

Mike

Blimey!!..... Go easy fellas I'm a newbie to this forum, thanks for the unexpected welcome.....

I'm not having a go at Gordon - far from it, I love his build; his dedication to the task in hand; wonderful wonderful trackwork; beautiful carpentry, etc etc.

For your information Colin the 'Thanks Gordon' was said somewhat tongue in cheek meaning no more or less than Gordons thread had been the inspiration for me to abandon my current build. I don't have a problem it's just an excuse for doing something I had probably been subconciously considering for a while and Gordons thread proved my efforts were substandard, to me at least, which is why I became dispondent. Don't tell me you've never been disheartened when looking at someone else's work then comparing it with your own efforts.

Quite how any of you deduced from my post that I was 'having a go' is beyond me (perhaps you would be kind enough to say which word or sentence indicates this?) but this is more than likely down to my working class education as I was never taught how to read between the lines. Lighten up for goodness sake.

Gordon. Please accept my sincere and profound apologies should you consider I have 'had a go' - I haven't. Please also accept similar apologies for high-jacking your thread. Good luck with your build and your handicap.

Mike

Edited by CoBo
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Thanks CoBo.

That's made my day.

I hope you keep going - I'm only a few years behind you so please, please don't give up.

And when you're feeling despondent - just put the kettle on....

Best

Polly

PS  Love Eastwood Town.  Keep going, too, Gordon...

Edited by southern42
  • Like 4

Blimey!!..... Go easy fellas I'm a newbie to this forum, thanks for the unexpected welcome.....

I'm not having a go at Gordon - far from it, I love his build; his dedication to the task in hand; wonderful wonderful trackwork; beautiful carpentry, etc etc.

For your information Colin the 'Thanks Gordon' was said somewhat tongue in cheek meaning no more or less than Gordons thread had been the inspiration for me to abandon my current build. I don't have a problem it's just an excuse for doing something I had probably been subconciously considering for a while and Gordons thread proved my efforts were substandard, to me at least, which is why I became dispondent. Don't tell me you've never been disheartened when looking at someone else's work then comparing it with your own efforts.

Quite how any of you deduced from my post that I was 'having a go' is beyond me (perhaps you would be kind enough to say which word or sentence indicates this?) but this is more than likely down to my working class education as I was never taught how to read between the lines. Lighten up for goodness sake.

Gordon. Please accept my sincere and profound apologies should you consider I have 'had a go' - I haven't. Please also accept similar apologies for high-jacking your thread. Good luck with your build and your handicap.

Mike

Hi Mike

I have been reading this thread this morning and have myself had a bit of what you are going through. I also understand what you were saying and I think at the end of the day you were making a comparison, and if I may say so, judging yourself rather harshly.

I think that then most of the replies were actually aimed at trying to coax you back in to the fold and not do anything too rash.

I have a large layout and I haven't really done much more to it scenery wise for over a year and I haven't operated it for the period of time either. At times I feel like you, ripping it up and starting again but then I sit back and think...............model railways is all about improving the mind! So I will clean it all off and run it soon because this forum has actually given me ideas and the impetus to raise my standards.

I don't profess to be in the same league of half the people on here but I do have my niche in as much as I want to be better. I certainly don't want to give up and I don't think you do really. Perhaps if you PM one or two of the people that you try to make a comparison with, they may be able to put you on the right 'track' so to speak, without you compromising your own integrity.

Go on give it a go but for Christs sake don't give it up as we are a diminishing society with lots of memories!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

I'm often equally mystified on RMweb that folks find offence where I can't see any. It happens in lots of topics. I join in late and find folks getting upset, and when I look back to see what it's all about I can't find anything. I think it's just the way of web forums. I didn't see anything in your original post to cause any offence to anyone. Welcome to RMweb, and I don't think Gordon minds having his topic hi-jacked -- that's why he didn't do it as a blog.

regards,

Martin.

• Like 7

Couple of days on and I'm considering doing a Gordon.....

As I'm not bad at soldering thought I might have a go at making some track to see if it will re-ignite my mojo. So, had a look at Templot (which I think I may be able to get my head round), and re-read Gordons thread - there's so much new terminology to learn with track building.

So simple question before I clear off out of Gordons thread, can someone give me a link on here to a basic 00 track making thread where I can begin my education please.

Thanks guys

Mike

So simple question before I clear off out of Gordons thread, can someone give me a link on here to a basic 00 track making thread where I can begin my education please.

Thanks guys

Mike

I'm sure Gordon has done a step by step within these pages or you can have a look at my attempt at hand built track (link in signature)

Ray

Edited by tender
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

Ray's topic at: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/49161-first-attempt-at-handbuilt-track-a-complete-novice%E2%80%99s-experience/

is indeed an excellent beginners guide to copper-clad turnout construction. It includes the only photograph I've ever seen on any forum showing the stock gauge being correctly set up:

post-11105-0-94371400-1324225323.jpg

The nice brass gauge tools he is using are available from Brian Tulley at: http://00-sf.org.uk

regards,

Martin.

• Like 5

As I'm not bad at soldering thought I might have a go at making some track to see if it will re-ignite my mojo. So, had a look at Templot (which I think I may be able to get my head round), and re-read Gordons thread - there's so much new terminology to learn with track building.

Thanks guys

Mike

Good for you Mike, go for it!

• 2 weeks later...