Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

Thanks and yes, we have worked hard on tidying things up during lockdown. The weather overall has been kind, so it made it enjoyable rather than a slog. I've just spent a few back breaking days digging out a small wild life pond that my wife wanted. That sits next to the main pond and the heron did take a look this morning, but wasn't really interested. Just asked the question and the answer went something like "you're not having plastic fish in my wild life pond', so I guess that's a no then.......

I wonder what tomorrow morning has in store. At least the days will be getting shorter. Soon be Christmas......;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to tomorrow's update on the heron front. I know that you like some of the American stuff and the thread on the GW Mallet mentioned the Erie triplet 2-8-8-8-2, which reminded me that there's a 7 inch gauge live steamer on YouTube of one of those huge machines, I think it takes 20 or 30 minutes to do a circle of their track.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, gordon s said:

Hi Benjy, thank you so much for your kind comments re the ET thread. I sometimes wonder if anyone is reading as the responses are few compared to other threads, but the flag above says 405 guys are following this long and winding tale, so it is being read and the occasional response is much appreciated.

I have to say I am impressed with your multi layer layout. I find this type of layout fascinating and every time I see the mainly US based layouts that wander round and round in a good sized room, it makes me think that flat continuous layouts are not ideal for train watching. Of course that's miles away from prototype practice, but I do find trains wandering out of sight and reappearing somewhere else fascinating.

Lovely to see long trains snaking around curves. I'm guessing you have quite a large space to house your railway and the plan itself throws up numerous questions regarding gradients and helices. Way back in the early days of ET (before this incarnation of RMweb), I did play around with block sections and bought and sold numerous Lenz detectors. I've just pulled out these pics and they're dated 2006. My first attempt at a multi layer layout, which went round the room several times and incorporated a large storage yard that ran round three sides of the room. I think from memory there were 12-14 storage roads, each around 25-30' long. Of course as the bottom layer, they were the most inaccessible for track cleaning and the odd turnout repair. Everything was hidden hence the block detectors. The gradients were OK at 1:100, but a pig to build and after numerous inputs from friendly 'been there, done that' modellers, I realised the errors of my ways and just how impossible it would be to repair should a major problem occur, so it went to the local tip, like may other versions of ET in the early days...:D

IMG_1283_2.jpg.97387fb3bb97edaff405aa216e322acb.jpg

LB101.jpg.f7fd4a4f7ca67aba1b569c6c2924a8b7.jpg

Of course that was years ago and the challenge facing me now is the current wiring, all of which was done upside down on a bench before assembly. The numerous solder burns I had from the above version made me realise soldering underneath a board is not to be recommended. Gravity has a habit of dropping molten solder on any area of bare skin and your eyesight is far to precious, even with protective glasses on.

I saw your post this morning and that made me think again about how ET runs. You're right, I enjoy watching trains run and to that end, ET is four independent continue loops, so four trains can run without attention and not cross each other. All of the work is in ET station itself with access to the shed, storage and a few sidings. Most if not all of that requires manual control as uncoupling will be required, so it's probably there is not much to be gained from computer control. I'm not saying it's not suitable, just that far more assessment will be need before going down that route.

Over the last few days, I've revisited my ECoS and there may be some mileage in the route setting application with a number of straight lines across the panel. Each one would represent a platform, through road, siding or the two access routes to the shed and storage. I can split all those lines down the middle and then have just four lines in from each side represent the incoming and outgoing lines.

Each of the horizontal lines will just need four route buttons to indicate tracks 1-4, and selecting one of the four buttons on each track will take you in or out of ET station on the correct line. There would be no switching on the mimic panel which will be there purely to confirm the route is correct. I will do some more work on it in the next week as golf and other jobs will get in the way, but it could prove a solution, even if it proves to be an interim one before the full installation of switching that may be required.

I really enjoyed watching the Dale Junction video and then went to your YouTube channel to see if there were more videos of your layout. The other videos were a pleasant surprise as I assume you have a PPL. Lovely to see parts of Wales where we have spent holidays. It looks idyllic from the sky with beautiful scenery and stunning beaches....

Hi Gordon,

Thank you for the reply and for your kind comments about my layout.

I am lucky to have a purpose-built room 17'x12' in which to construct Dale Junction, although the door in the corner has provided design challenges. As I wanted to avoid a duck-under, the layout has two helixes, with a ruling gradient of 2.1% on the outer track and 2.3% on the inner. Not ideal but I have found my large UP locomotives to generally be capable of hauling long trains up them; the ones that have stuggled are my MTH Big Boy and Challenger, so they are now double-headed and the problem is solved :)

Glad you enjoyed my videos. Yes, I hold my PPL and fly out of Caernarfon Airfield, and it is indeed a stunning part of the world to be able to fly over. I am also a driver on the Welsh Highland Railway; the video from the footplate of 138 was a few years ago when I was still a fireman. I am a very lucky chap!

I can well understand that the station area itself is the focus of attention on your layout in terms of operating, so computer automation would not bring as much benefit to you as it did to me (my layout is, in effect, a folded dog-bone with the added complication of changing from left-handed to right-handed running at Dale Junction), especially as I appreciate that you have four independent circuits that you can simply leave to run. I think it well worth exploring the route setting in ECoS because even with a mimic diagram, I find that I still make mistakes if I try setting routes in iTrain manually and much prefer to allow the computer to do it for me! I think this is one of the wonderful things about our hobby; there are as many ways of operating layouts as there layouts and it is fanscinating to see how other people do things because you never know what tip you might pick up.

That's quite a remarkable first photograph of the "spaghetti" of track in the first multi-level version of Eastwood Town; it can't have been easy to have taken apart such a beautifully constructed layout but I am sure everybody who has followed this thread understood your reasons. It was so good to see the recent videos of trains running round the latest incarnation of ET and watching the trains flowing through your stunning trackwork is something to which I think most of us aspire! 

I very much look forward to seeing further progress on Eastwood Town :rolleyes:

Best wishes,

Ben

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, gordon s said:

I sometimes wonder if anyone is reading as the responses are few compared to other threads, but the flag above says 405 guys are following this long and winding tale, so it is being read and the occasional response is much appreciated.

Never fear Gordon - your adoring but silent public are here.  We've read every word.  Better than any travelogue.  Michael Portillo move aside.

All variations of what you have done are so far beyond anything that I might hope to achieve, that I don't often contribute beyond "Likes".

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

Good grief, I wasn't expecting that.....:cry:

Nice to know you are being read, otherwise I'd be talking to myself...

Woke as usual around 04.30am, ready for the fray and two hours went past. Nothing.....:D

Perhaps this is becoming a psychological battle and he thought I'll give it a miss for a few days and then return when I least expect it. This has the making of a Hitchcock thriller. Who knows what will happen next....

A busy week ahead, so I doubt much will happen on the control panel for a week or so. I want to put a mock up together from printed sheets and a sheet of pdf, before committing to the full laminated print job, so that's the next task.

Golfing the next two days and no doubt they'll all be moaning about how hot it is....

That's seniors for you.....Not me of course, I'm now a 'super senior'.....:D

Can we see some more pics of your layout, Ben? I'm certainly interested to see the levels and the helices between as that has been a 'bete noir' for many of us.

A pilot and a train driver. I'm most impressed......:drink_mini:

Stay safe, one and all. It will get better....

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Gordon,

can you please come and get rid of one of our very intrusive Jackdaws now you have sorted the Herons out??:jester:

Thanks in anticipation

Baz

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, bigwordsmith said:

sit back and learn from the masters

Well, I contribute when/if I have something to offer but I also like to look and learn - for example, I'm now using Gordon's (adaptation of Captain Kernow's) method for ballasting my track and it's going very well (so far...).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gordon s said:

Nice to know you are being read, otherwise I'd be talking to myself...

Woke as usual around 04.30am

Who talks to you at that time of day? 

More importantly, what privileges are bestowed upon super seniors?

6 hours ago, pirouets said:

Who talks to you at that time of day? 

More importantly, what privileges are bestowed upon super seniors?

I’m hoping the 04.30am starts will stop soon......so does my wife, as surprisingly she’s not that chatty at that ungodly hour either......:D

When we have the Seniors Club Championship, the true Champion has the lowest gross score over two medal rounds. Needless to say there are only three or four guys in with a chance from an entry of 150 players. They are always single figure handicappers and generally in the 55-60 age group.

Next opportunity is the lowest net score over two medal rounds after handicap adjustment. In theory everyone is in with a chance, but two rounds of medal play is tough with no room for error, so again it favours the better golfers. Of course that’s how it should be, with the Champions representing the best in the club.

The final group is the Super Seniors for those of us over 70. Same rules, but a much smaller field that gives those of us who have tipped into their 70’s a chance of getting our name on the Honours Boards against the younger and fitter golfers. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah, now I understand. I was worried you had done something that proved you had grown up or something. Enjoy the sunshine, the strolling and remember those golf videos you've been watching as you go, i'm sure they will help in some shape or form.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, gordon s said:

Can we see some more pics of your layout, Ben?

Hi Gordon,

Sure, if you don't mind me hijacking your thread, then I'd be delighted to share some photos, with a disclaimer that my woodworking skills are not a patch on yours and I've been very lucky to have the help of a friend from the Ffestiniog who is a very capable carpenter.

For a quick bit of background... Dale Junction is where Track 3, which was constructed to ease the westbound gradient from Cheyenne, meets Tracks 1 and 2, the orignal Transcontinental Route across Sherman Hill. The layout is set across three levels; the lower level is the storage yard representing both Cheyenne and Laramie, the middle level is Dale Junction, and the upper level is simply plain double-track mainline repesenting an unspecified section of Tracks 1 and 2 (although I might root it at a specific location in due course).

1.jpg.8274e497ae72ef6c46525d0c93c3ae24.jpg

Above: This is Helix B, which I have literally finished this evening. The lower three turns lift Track 3 westbound from the storage yard to Dale Junction. Then, the eastbound tracks 1 and 2 join it from Dale Junction and traverse 4 turns to get to the upper level. The outer track has a radius of 30" with gradient of 2.1%, and the inner track is 27" with a gradient of 2.3%. Big Boy #4023 has become the first locomotive to climb to the upper level, pulling a manifest freight comprising 26 40" box cars and a caboose.

2.jpg.5fdca71da5b62827bf6663b12da3903f.jpg

Above: This is Helix A, which is about 50% built. The lower three turns lift Tracks 1 and 2 from the storage yard to a double junction, which is on the extreme left. If the trains go straight, they exit the helix eastbound and enter Dale Junction; if they continue climbing the helix, they become westbound and will climb a further four turns to gain the upper level. The helixes are constructed using a technique I read in Model Railroader magazine. I have had the 1/4 turn sections CNC cut from very high quality MDF by a firm in Wrexham, and then I simply build the helix by stacking them using 2"x1" risers. It's very simple but very effective.

3.jpg.c663789fb710f7342270269eb22fff6b.jpg

Above: This is a view of Dale Junction itself. From the bottom, eastbound trains approach on Track 1, the left-hand track and use the second set of cross-overs to gain Track 2 for the descent to Cheyenne; conversely, from the top, westbound trains approach on Track 2 and then cross-over to Track 1 to contine to Laramie. However, most westbound traffic will use Track 3, which swings in from the right. You can also see the central control station, which is a laptop and second external screen running iTrain.

5.jpg.be1a630bc0106fa068e8238398bc1dad.jpg

Above: This photo shows the overall effect of the three levels that I've always had in my mind's eye and is turning out precisely how I hoped!  On the upper level, Big Boy #4023 leads an eastbound manifest freight on Track 2; one the middle level, Big Boy #4014 leads Challenger #3999 eastbound on Track 3; and on the lower level, FEF-3 #844 leads a reefer train through a "scenic window", which I've constructed to pratice scenery building and to give some visual interest on the lower-level. #844 is on the return loop, which allows trains to exit the storage yard, loop round the outside of Helix B, and then enter Helix A on either track.

4.jpg.330d589997fd5f24bf6a22f70a7fba06.jpg

Above: A last photo for @St Enodoc, showing #4014 leading #3999 through Dale Junction with a 32-car manifest freight. They are using the second cross-over to switch from left-hand running between Laramie and Dale Junction on Track 1, to right-hand running between Dale Junction and Cheyenne on Track 2. This changing of tracks is one of the reasons I've chosen to model Dale Junction, as it leads to interesting operations. The reason for two eastbound crossings is hopefully evident from this photo... A westbound train on Track 3 could pass through the junction and gain Track 1 without having to stop.

I hope these photos show what you were after. I am very lucky to have such an amazing space to construct such a layout, and to have had the help of my friend in constructing the foundation baseboards for the storage yard. I started the layout in November following more than 3 years of planning using XTrkCad to come up with the final track plan; one of the small consolations of the lock-down for the past three months is having a lot more time than expected to work on the layout. I've followed the original plan almost exactly except for a couple of modifications in the storage yard, such as adding some locomotive holding sidings so that I can simulate locomotive swaps at Cheyenne and Laramie when I hold operating sessions.

Best wishes,

Ben 

Edited by benjy14
Corrected typos.
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Mind? Of course not,....:D

More than happy to learn from others how they overcame some of the obstacles this hobby throws at us. Your layout is of particular interest as it’s multi layer in a simllar room size to ET.  Add in gradients a helices and you have an interesting story to tell. Of course you could always start your own thread and show everyone if you prefer....;)

I had a look at my pics from the WHR when we were there. We travelled behind 143 and it was a lovely trip across some stunning countryside. At that time they were either talking about or had just started the extension to Porthmadog.

A lovely holiday spent walking our two dogs and travelling on the lovely railways of Wales.

Edit: Just seen you have posted pics earlier.....:D 

Doh!.......Well it is early. Off to catch up....

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, gordon s said:

Of course you could always start your own thread and show everyone if you prefer....

I have been considering that for a while and given the favourable responses I've had having posting on this thread, I will see if I can get something started in the next couple of days. I've been a little reluctant to up until now as I'm not sure how much interest there is for North American layouts on this forum (and in this country in general), which was reflected in a recent thread in the area dedicated to US layouts and models, so it'll be interesting to see how much interest there is.

2 hours ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

That’s one impressive railroad under construction.

Paul

Thank you!

On 23/06/2020 at 11:43, Flying Fox 34F said:

“the ones that have stuggled are my MTH Big Boy and Challenger, so they are now double-headed and the problem is solved“

Is there any video footage of these two working together?

Paul

Yes, there is now :) I have just uploaded a video to YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kcghxgp9Kg

Anyway, enough from me; this isn't my thread!  Thank you to everybody for your comments and reactions, and I really look foward to seeing more progress on Eastwood Town in the future.

Best wishes,

Ben

Edited by benjy14
  • Like 5

Just back from golf, which was 32 degrees and rather warm. Pleased to report no heron this morning, nor yesterday morning. Hopefully the Berlin Wall will keep him out for a while. Noticed loads of fry this morning, so the spawning must have worked. More mouth's to feed......:D

Loved the layout, Benjy and no problem posting here, but it deserves its own thread.

All my theories have gone out the window. 27" radii and 2.3% gradients.....but then you do have slightly larger locomotives....;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1