Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gordon,

Wishing you a Happy New Year.

The turnout  building should speed up now that you've got your eye in again and now that the holiday period is over  the sport will return to normal levels of distraction.

I hope that the wait is not to long before you get your results and the latest covid news doesn't throw a spanner in the medical works.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 28/12/2020 at 09:39, gordon s said:

Picked up some useful info on stone sheet material on another thread on RMweb......

Do you have a link to the thread & stone sheet info please Gordon?  Sounds interesting.....

Thanks

Brian

These were the two threads. The paper I referred to was available via eBay and is certainly different to anything I have seen before. It appears to be an embossed wallpaper, but the back of the sheet bears no relation to the front. It seems to sit between the Slaters and Wills offerings. One of the things I admired on Tetleys Mill was Dave’s use of Slaters 0 gauge dressed stone.  It always looked great on his layout, but on ET it somehow looked slightly over scale, probably because Allan Downes buildings were predominantly brick, whereas as Tetley’s were stone throughout.

I like the basics blocks of the Slaters sheets, whereas the Wills sheet looks more ornamental. I may order some of the 0 gauge block stone sheets to play around with as the H0 sheets look more like the Wills stone sheet. Early days, but worth a punt.......

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, gordon s said:

Had to look up Marine FC for the game this afternoon as I had no idea where they were. The web came back with Crosby, Merseyside, so I hope there won't be a cup upset this afternoon. 

I just loved the bit about the house numbers being on the fence bordering the ground so they know which door to knock on to get the ball back. Can you imagine Harry Kane doing that?

(I know it'll be the reserve reserve team and all that but it's a lovely image)

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

Just now, LNER4479 said:

I just loved the bit about the house numbers being on the fence bordering the ground so they know which door to knock on to get the ball back. Can you imagine Harry Kane doing that?

(I know it'll be the reserve reserve team and all that but it's a lovely image)

They had one of Footballs longest serving managers if not the longest for many years (33) By trade a window cleaner it was joked he would take advice from many of his clients in the Crosby area, area with many Merseyside based footballers calling the Crosby home....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/01/2021 at 19:51, gordon s said:

These were the two threads. The paper I referred to was available via eBay and is certainly different to anything I have seen before. It appears to be an embossed wallpaper, but the back of the sheet bears no relation to the front. It seems to sit between the Slaters and Wills offerings. One of the things I admired on Tetleys Mill was Dave’s use of Slaters 0 gauge dressed stone.  It always looked great on his layout, but on ET it somehow looked slightly over scale, probably because Allan Downes buildings were predominantly brick, whereas as Tetley’s were stone throughout.

I like the basics blocks of the Slaters sheets, whereas the Wills sheet looks more ornamental. I may order some of the 0 gauge block stone sheets to play around with as the H0 sheets look more like the Wills stone sheet. Early days, but worth a punt.......

Many thanks Gordon - I'll have a read.....

8 hours ago, gordon s said:

Of course, now I've run out of all my good C & L sleeper strip, so I'll probably have another go at cutting my own strip from 1mm PCB sheet. The quality of strip from C & L is always high, but with 5 packs of sleeper strip now costing the best part of a £100, I'm going to have to consider cutting my own again. Certainly not the fault of C & L as the price of the raw material has gone up dramatically. Thinking back, I'm fairly sure I was only paying £6 per pack around 8 years ago. With a large radius turnout using one pack of strips alone, plus the rail and solder etc, the new kits from Wayne are looking more attractive every day. 

Do you have any experience of the Wizard Models sleeper strip?  C&L is £19 for 4.4m, whereas Wizard is £12 for 6m.....

HTH

• RMweb Premium

Positive news Gordon.. great!  Hopefully once you have rebuilt this board the rest of the layout will be completed fairly quickly.

BUT Lesson 1.. always leave at least one operable circuit so that testing can still be undertaken!:D

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Really good news on the medical front and fingers crossed they get to the bottom of your problems and sort you out ready for your golfing season (dose it have a season I don’t know) 

and if your back to chopping wood it’s got to be a good sign. Eastwood town just isn’t the same with out new wood being cut and bits of paper stuck all over the place. 

Edited by farren
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1