Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

• RMweb Gold

And how many years is that?

Seriously though it's a nice moment.  :drinks:

The only problem is that once you can run things further construction gets put on the back burner.

Ask me how I know.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, gordon s said:

Who'd have thought it....;)

Had a visitor here today, so had to work flat out to get something running and tidy up a bit. Two things spring to mind, most of the wheels need some lubrication and I need to dial down the lamps on the WD. At least they are in the right place....

2056427813_i-dont-believe-it(2).jpg.5be37518ba1b3fad97a388e3497c49d2.jpg

Seriously Gordon, many congratulations. Looks to be running pretty well to me...:drink_mini:

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Graham, but you started what John finished......;)

Just as well you ran out of time at Iain’s or it would have been a disappointment. Sometime’s we make these rash promises without realising just how much work is involved......

Next time perhaps, as now I’m ready for you.......

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

A true landmark in the ET. saga two trains running all the way around the layout, a truly magnificent achievement!!

Well done, Gordon. Looking at tonight's weather forecast it looks as though you will have a good few days to get the titivating sorted.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Many years ago - more than 60, I'm sure - a household magazine at home had an article about model railways. One key message was "Get things running as soon as possible", which I have always followed, being an impatient buffer.

The pleasure you must have felt seeing trains running round the loops cannot be imagined. And the increase in motivation it  triggers should take you forward with giant steps. 

Well done!

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Many years ago - more than 60, I'm sure - a household magazine at home had an article about model railways. One key message was "Get things running as soon as possible", which I have always followed, being an impatient buffer.

The pleasure you must have felt seeing trains running round the loops cannot be imagined. And the increase in motivation it  triggers should take you forward with giant steps. 

Well done!

The only problem Olddduders is that little white ball will come into play too much soon. However are agree with the statement may be this year I will get a layout working..........

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, KeithHC said:

The only problem Olddduders is that little white ball will come into play too much soon. However are agree with the statement may be this year I will get a layout working..........

Keith

Simples. Give up wasting a good walk  by chasing little balls across the countryside :p

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I'm sure that golf will leave me behind in a few years. Tempus Fugit and all that....

Problem right now is Winter League fixtures are piling up thanks to Ciara and no doubt Dennis will put the mockers on Monday's game. I wonder what Ellen has in store.

Went up to my railway room this morning full of good intentions to crack on with the decoder wiring and all that's happened is that I've lapsed back into trainspotter mode. Currently sat on the floor surrounded by boxes, mostly BR Eastern with the odd interloper.

Lovely problem to have after all these years, but I can see what BoD was getting at....:D

• Like 10

19 hours ago, gordon s said:

Had a visitor here today, so had to work flat out to get something running and tidy up a bit. Two things spring to mind, most of the wheels need some lubrication and I need to dial down the lamps on the WD. At least they are in the right place....

Please ignore my last post!

I only just found this one, and can now say I am truly jealous. Your track work is fantastic. I’m afraid nothing will ever be the same again for those like me stuck with Peco

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all your kind comments, It's been a while since trains ran last time.....

We all have to make choices in this hobby and believe me there have been times when I wished I had gone with Peco, but no one is stuck with RTR track. I shied away from ever making my own track as I didn't believe I had the skill to do it and rather than make a complete pigs ear of it, I never even tried.

It was Martin Wynne who encouraged me to have a go and although my first one wouldn't win a prize, the sheer enjoyment of seeing something move through a turnout you have built yourself without falling over is pretty satisfying.

The first attempts were SMP kits and then Martin talked me into Templot and that opened the door to free flowing pointwork and the rest is history. I still stand in awe at those masters who build track with chairs and in fact John (Hayfield) nagged me into building one over Christmas. Had I a lot more time perhaps I'd have another go, but with 60+ to build it would have take considerably longer as I can rattle through a soldered version in less than 2 hours.

Soldered construction is a compromise I'm happy to accept at this time in my life. Once painted and ballasted they are passable and when all said and done, unless you are a track nerd, you tend to look at the bigger picture. The one thing I try to do is have a flat track bed and a crossing that doesn't allow wheels to drop. 

I must stop playing trains now and get on with the wiring. I've ordered another 4 Switch 8's and I need to get things prepared. The ECoS is growing on me, but I won't really get into it's capabilities until the wiring is complete on the main layout.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Gordon

For large layouts copperclad construction is fine, ones eye is taken away from fine detail to appreciate the larger environment, with smaller layouts I feel one's eye is drawn into the finer detail. As for time taken to build items and skills required they are similar in both skill levels required and time taken, at one time copper clad was much cheaper, that time has long gone

• Agree 4

You never know an invite could be heading your way in the summer. Play with a few trains and a round of golf? What more could one want......:D

Quiz night at the club last night and stuck my neck out, playing our Joker (double points) on trains.....

Thankfully we did OK with 8/10. We would have had 9, but talked ourselves out of the right answer re Linslade....:o

1. In which county was the Great Train Robbery?

2. Where does the Trans Siberian Express start and finish?

3. What 1951Hitchcock film featured two guys talking on a train?

4. Which country has the Ghan train?

5. What does TGV stand for?

6. Where was Gladys Knight going and at what time?

7. Name the luxury train that runs from Pretoria to Cape Town?

8. Name of the 1974 film with Robert Shaw set on a train?

9. Who had a hit with Last Train to Clarksville?

10. Who directed Trainspotting?

Dinner done, so Norwich v Liverpool awaits.....

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, hayfield said:

Gordon

For large layouts copperclad construction is fine, ones eye is taken away from fine detail to appreciate the larger environment, with smaller layouts I feel one's eye is drawn into the finer detail. As for time taken to build items and skills required they are similar in both skill levels required and time taken, at one time copper clad was much cheaper, that time has long gone

Tony Wrights pictures don't seem to follow that thinking.  Putting the latest exquisitely detailed RTR on track and photographing it in situ is a tough test. Watching a long train pass by at speed, is not.

Andy

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, eldavo said:

No wonder we've got storms. Just surprised it isn't snow!  Well done big G is great too see the trains running.

Cheers

Dave

You forgot plague and pestilence.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, gordon s said:

You never know an invite could be heading your way in the summer. Play with a few trains and a round of golf? What more could one want......:D

Quiz night at the club last night and stuck my neck out, playing our Joker (double points) on trains.....

Thankfully we did OK with 8/10. We would have had 9, but talked ourselves out of the right answer re Linslade....:o

1. In which county was the Great Train Robbery?

Dinner done, so Norwich v Liverpool awaits.....

All right, someone's got to ask so it might as well be me. What are the answers?

I reckon I'd have got seven straight off with one more possible but two would have beaten me.

1. In which county was the Great Train Robbery?
Buckinghamshire

Moscow to Vladivostok 

Strangers on a Train

Australia

Train a Grande Vitesse

Midnight Train to Georgia

The Blue Train

The taking of Pelham 123

The Monkees

Danny Boyle

We talked ourselves into Bedfordshire after writing down Buckinghamshire......Doh!

Edited by gordon s
  • Thanks 4

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, gordon s said:

1. In which county was the Great Train Robbery?
Buckinghamshire

Moscow to Vladivostok 

Strangers on a Train

Australia

Train a Grande Vitesse

Midnight Train to Georgia

The Blue Train

The taking of Pelham 123

The Monkees

Danny Boyle

We talked ourselves into Bedfordshire after writing down Buckinghamshire......Doh!

Thanks Gordon. Yes, I would have got Bucks not Beds. I remember Pelham 123 but no idea Robert Shaw was in it. No idea about Trainspotting although I knew that Irvine Welsh wrote the book. So, like you, 8/10.

• Like 1

On 14/02/2020 at 16:39, gordon s said:

I love the fact that trains are running again on ET. All of your track and baseboard construction is so far beyond my skill set. But... ahem, can I just say that I always thought that to take a good pic you need the sun behind you. You have a wonderful railway room but those roof windows are not helping with video quality. Do they have blinds that can be drawn so you can artificially "over the shoulder" light the subject matter ie the magnificent railway you have created? 

Sorry this is not a criticism, just hopefully a helpful comment.

I have been following ET for so long and am amazed at how you have ripped up so much stuff and started again. I don't think I could ever do that. But I do suggest that if there are no window blinds fitted it would be best to fit them now before the (fragile) scenics are installed. 

Just a thought....and I'm really looking forward to seeing more pics or vids in due course. 

Regards, 

Brian 

Congratulations, Gordon - great to see you achieve orbit!

Agree wholeheartedly that it's a Pause-Review-Rework moment, but the important thing is you have a milestone, and momentum.

Looking forward to your future progress.

Cheers

Scott

• Thanks 1