Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

• RMweb Gold
On 24/01/2020 at 14:07, Kier Hardy said:

As Martin has mentioned, there's nothing stopping you positioning the turnout over a baseboard joint. I didn't have much choice when it came to this arrangement due to the geometry of other turnouts. It never gave any problems.

wibdenshaw_track31.jpg.df6810357f0e31f829e0276dbe153a3a.jpg

Interesting when converting to DCC though!!

Mike.

4 hours ago, gordon s said:

My lips are sealed......;)

Spent and enjoyable morning at the Southampton Show. My type of place. Despite all the reports to the contrary, parked within 100yds and were in the first 10 in the queue. Great to meet Graham of Grantham fame and the layout really was a credit to all the crew. It ran faultlessly and I still can't believe it's Peco 100 track. Was also lovely to spend some time chatting to Tony Wright as he's someone who reputation for excellence is well known in our hobby and it was most enlightening chatting about LNER locos from the 60's.....and a few locos to die for on his bench.

If I wasn't building ET, I'd be very tempted by Ackthorpe which was up for sale at the princely sum of £1200....:o 

Only problem is I don't have the 34' x 12' to set it up. What a bargain considering the price of timber and track these days.

Seems Graham may be in our neck of the woods soon and there's always been an open invitation to drop in for a coffee and a natter. I now have a deadline to get something running and the room tidied up. Sheer panic though as this may be in the next couple of weeks and I really want to have something running. If all else fails, I'll make suitable train noises and push stuff around....:D

Totally motivated by the show so got home to straighten out some track alignment issues I was working on. Couldn't work out what the problem was until the penny dropped. Won't bore you with the details, but the track formations were OK, so it must have been the cork underlay that was out. It all was fine on the drawing but skewed on the underlay, so some cork will have to come up and then be realigned against the Templot plan. I've just lashed up some flexi track to the turnouts and ran a coach through, so all is well.

My wife said the red pointwork looked attractive....

DSCF0225.jpg.75c3eebfde3ef64d6d71175b28a6df1e.jpg

Hi Gordon.  Great to see you and Iain (92220) at the show. Pity I couldn't have spent more time giving you a guided tour of the layout but hope you got something of an appreciation of the thing.

Very much looking forward to calling at ET soon and if the whole thing gives you a spur to get things to a certain stage with the layout then so much the better. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 27/01/2020 at 00:35, gordon s said:

My wife said the red pointwork looked attractive....

You have to be careful when they drop comments like that.  Next you know, she'll be wanting a red locomotive...

Looking very nice, Gordon.  The eyeball does see lots - but a photograph after the event will always inevitably highlight the ugly stuff your eyes miss! (and so is well worth doing)

If it wasn't a short week here (public holiday yesterday, hence my burst of productivity), I'd offer to race you to see who gets a circuit of the room with a train first - I'm a little behind you, but agree, the friendly competition is an incentive to see it done sooner rather than later.

Cheers

Scott

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, jukebox said:

If it wasn't a short week here (public holiday yesterday, hence my burst of productivity), I'd offer to race you to see who gets a circuit of the room with a train first - I'm a little behind you, but agree, the friendly competition is an incentive to see it done sooner rather than later.

Cheers

Scott

We'll both just toddle along and enjoy the journey. Thankfully there is a touch of sun this morning and another couple of months will see progress slow to a crawl whilst I take my spring/summer sabbatical.

Tempus fugit....

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Gordon,

You may possibly find joining MERG helpful when considering options for layout control. I chose their DCC kits for DCC operation of locomotives and will be using CBus  for layout control with JMRI.

They have quite a few variable choices besides those you may find suitable. I found being a member helped me understand the technology that is currently being employed in model railways these days as well. There is a lot of information and advice available.

trustytrev.:)

• Thanks 1

Hi Trev, many thanks for suggesting MERG and I’m certainly not against it as such, but I have so much to do, that I really haven’t got the time (or in depth electronic knowledge) to build my own control equipment.

I’m sure I probably could get by with help of the group and RMweb, but if I had the choice to build electronic kit or a locomotive, I’d probably opt for the loco. Needless to say I’ve done neither before and even then the allocation of the time would be well down the list after track building, the shed area, traverser and then scenic work.

Of course if I were 30 years younger, then it would certainly go on the list of skills to improve....;)

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Gordon

There are a lot of people who can help on here.

And no doubt you will gets lots of suggestions on what to do...and how to do it..i prefer the KISS principle

Keep It Simple Stupid..

So for dcc go with good quality systems which may cost more but can easily be made to work.

If a non electronic mechanical engineer (My mate St Enodoc) can get Dcc to work then anyone can....

Baz

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

If a non electronic mechanical engineer (My mate St Enodoc) can get Dcc to work then anyone can....

Very true.

The thing is, I often can't get the mechanical stuff to work though...

• Funny 5

6 hours ago, Barry O said:

Gordon

There are a lot of people who can help on here.

And no doubt you will gets lots of suggestions on what to do...and how to do it..i prefer the KISS principle

Keep It Simple Stupid..

So for dcc go with good quality systems which may cost more but can easily be made to work.

Baz

It’s OK Baz, ET has always been a DCC layout. Having seen an ECoS working last week, I’ve gone down that route and will play around this weekend with the NCE Switch 8 to get this board up and running as a test piece before wiring up the whole layout. I may sell my NCE controller and 5A power pack, or hold onto it to run the shed area.

Woke up,in the middle if the night thinking about the underboard wiring. In my enthusiasm to get things working, I’d forgotten about the lower lines onto the traverser and I may need to tweak a few wires to make sure they don’t interfere with the access tracks below. Schoolboy error.....:D

I have seen MERG at shows I’ve been to, but wanted a plug and play solution. I’m sure it would have performed well and has many happy users, but I want to get things going, so took the easy solution.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Barry O said:

I have the opposite problem: a non mechanical electronic engineer!

Paul.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, 5BarVT said:

I have the opposite problem: a non mechanical electronic engineer!

Paul.

Luckily being a control system engineer I can get along fine with mechanical, electrical, systems, process and chemical  engineering..

But dont ask me about woodworking !!

Baz

• Funny 5

15 hours ago, gordon s said:

many thanks for suggesting MERG and I’m certainly not against it as such, but I have so much to do, that I really haven’t got the time (or in depth electronic knowledge) to build my own control equipment.

Having recently entered the world of MERG and having now built half a dozen circuit boards, I've found an electronic knowledge isn't necessary as long as you can solder and follow instructions.

Edited by johndon
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Ah.....Follow the instructions. That's me done for right away...;)

Joking apart, I have been impressed by what I have seen with MERG kits. It's purely a time issue for me. 

I already have a ton of stuff to do before my other love returns in a couple of months time....

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations Gordon. You must be a very happy camper....trust you enjoyed a glass of red?

Trains apart it was nice to see that delightful station building again.

Best wishes

John

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Cannot tell a lie, it’s a glass of white to celebrate. It’s all bit lashed together, but at least something is running. I suspect I will have to go back a couple of stages again to do things properly as I won’t rest until things run smoothly, every time without fail.

Overall, things appear OK. I had to tweak a turnout after John had left, but that’s what I enjoy. Taking something that stock bumps through and turning it into something that is seamless. I can easily spend an hour or so on one turnout until it’s 100%.

Every time I see North Vancouver I’m reminded of our holiday to Vancouver and Vancouver Island plus a trip up to Lake Louise. Can’t think of any place I’d rather be........but I’m far too old to move now.

No wonder Prince Harry and Meghan chose Vancouver Island......

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 4