Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

• RMweb Premium

Here's a good reason for not buying cheapo ply from the sheds (I know Gordon doesn't) - a friend was cutting this piece on his bandsaw today.  And yes, that's a piece of gravel embedded within the sheet during manufacture - you'd never know from the outside - not even a bump in the surface.

The Bandsaw didn't like it either - it totally trashed the blade.....

IMG_0464[1].JPG

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Of course I should have looked underneath, but there are no markings. Both cars are plastic, but the power car does have some folded brass pieces added to represent battery boxes etc on the under frame. The second car is all plastic, so from Baz’s info,  I suspect it may be a DC kits model. If I still have the invoice from all those years ago, it may give more details.

Either way, it’s very well built and a good representation of what I travelled in as a youngster.

Raining again. Perhaps I’ll build an ark rather than a railway....:D

The other job is to try and repair a circular plastic moulding that came with my car to unscrew the centre wheel cap to access the wheel bolts. The outside of the cap has a moulded M12 nut to accept a socket. I had to change my rear tyres on Wednesday and I can’t prove it was them and not the dealer, but the fitter came to me and showed me the plastic moulded nut had been rounded, probably by using the high speed air guns. Checked on line and a new one is £28 and of course it will still be just as fragile.

Always one to fiddle with bits that don’t work, I think I’ll drill it out and fit an M12 bolt and then epoxy a nut in the recess inside the plastic moulding.  At least that will provide a metal to metal contact and then I can keep the new one for when I sell the car. A rubbish design that could be much improved..... 

• Friendly/supportive 7

Found the invoice and it was from 2003...:D

It just says 'basic kit, plus interior, buffers, couplings, and motor bogie etc', so I guess that confirms a DC kit.

Never run in 17 years. Where did the time go?

I suspect it will be happy to happy the cobwebs blown out and do what it was designed to do.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Funny how simple jobs can give you a lot of pleasure. It was back to the old days and 'make do and mend'. Drilled out the centre hub to the tapping diameter for a M12 bolt that had been cut to size and chamfered with a grinder. With some care, I managed to turn the bolt into a self tapper and gently inserted in into the hole. Glad to say it formed a half decent thread, so out it came again. The rear of the moulding had an octagonal recess, so back to the grinder with the M12 nut held in Mole grips and after a while managed to get a hexagonal nut into an octagonal recess.

Bodgers are us, springs to mind....:D

Once the nut was secure it was out with Araldite to cover the nut and all down the thread of the bolt. Woke this morning to find it had all set rock hard and hopefully job done....

DSCF0413.jpg.3c5c4f00ed74163a028ae994413d9e6e.jpg

DSCF0415.jpg.6c99960aad85ac481e69bc5d7b352f1a.jpg

Hope the worry didn't keep you awake last night....;)

Now the good news...

It's raining again and the course is closed again and probably will be for several days yet, so back to ET today. The back straight board has now been fully wired and the Tortoise motors fitted and wired. I'll probably play trains again today and then take the board out again next week to get the two gradients finished. Probably a dozen or so bridging tracks to add and you may see four trains running.

Watched a BT documentary on one of my all time Spurs heroes last night, Jimmy Greaves. Great to also see Cliff Jones in the film as he lived at the bottom of our street and I was always knocking on his door asking for his autograph for fellow Spurs fans at my school. If you are a football fan and it crops up on TV, it was an enjoyable 90 minute watch. 

Was that really 60 years ago?....

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 4

Well it is loud, but I don’t plan to run four trains at once very often. The reason for it is ballasted track on cork underlay glued down with PVA. Once I’m happy with every element of running quality, then I plan to add some sound deadening material in the void created by the mdf side plates and 12mm trackbed.

I’m in the process of selecting a locomotive from each category of RTR and kit built plus the loco’s with Ultrascale wheels. I will inspect and check the back to backs to ensure they meet the 00-SF spec and then use them as standards for all rolling stock. Only then will I know that if there is a problem with smooth running, it is a build problem and will then check the dimensions of the turnout with the correct gauges.

If I build to spec and the rolling stock meets the requirements for back to back measurement, then all will be fine. The danger as always is that you can jump to conclusions and ‘adjust’ pointwork to suit a loco and just create a problem for all your other stock.

Been there and done that......:D

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Some great running there, Gordon. Is it all as loud as it come across in the video? You'll need some ear defenders and a barrier wagon between the steamer and the tanks.

If you think that's loud, wait until the DCC sound chips kick in!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Some great running there, Gordon. Is it all as loud as it come across in the video? You'll need some ear defenders and a barrier wagon between the steamer and the tanks.

You don't need a barrier wagon for class B (black) tank wagons - in fact they could themselves serve as barrier wagons for class A tanks .

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, bigwordsmith said:

Hugely impressive !

is that Crompton  there under rule 1?

Guilty!  Just needed another loco fitted for DCC.

Diesels are a bit of an unknown to me as just as they came along,  so did motor bikes/cars/karting and women, but not necessarily in that order....;)

Rule 1 will kick in occasionally, but I suspect that if it never went near the Eastern Region then it will be eBay bound once the next rationalisation kicks in.

Edit: I will now change my plea to Not Guilty as later posts have provided an alibi......

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1