Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

That was one of my 'red lines'. The track easing to to straight had to be done with the minimum disruption to the two approach ends. Had it meant messing with each end, I'd have packed up and gone home....Wait a minute, I am home... :)

...and there's more.

A year to two ago I was talking to dear Allan Downes about changing the span on the overhead bridge of ET station. I suspect the original Peterborough layout had a slightly different track layout, but with 44.66mm double track spacing and centrally located buildings on the platform, it was clear to me that the span of the second bridge needed to be widened by around 30mm as the down steps were too close to the platform edge.

Here's what I mean...

post-6950-0-17439500-1548440745_thumb.jpg

It's one of those things that has bugged me and no matter what I couldn't resolve it by changing the track layout, without it looking obvious it was fudge.  Allan, bless him, was only too pleased to do the work, but for one reason and another, I never got round to it and now he is no longer with us.

I will have to ask others for help, as whilst I'm happy pottering around with PCB strip and a soldering iron, buildings are out of my comfort zone. Add to that the outstanding skills of Allan to produce such a building and my appreciation of his skills and I'm totally against trying to tackle it myself. The last thing I want is to wreck his work for the sake of 30mm. After all, it is at at the back of the station and apart from die hard railway modellers, it's unlikely anyone will notice.

Basically it needs to be widened by 30mm, either at the building end or the ramp end, but the thought of taking a knife to it, keeps me awake at night. I have approached someone who has the skills to do the work, so fingers crossed he will be able to help. It's funny seeing the blank walls that no one will see, but like others in the OCD thread, I know they are blank so may have them finished off at the same time.

Here's a close up of the footbridge.  Any ideas how to widen it by 30mm and not see the change are always welcome. It can be either end but will have to match the existing structure. Maybe the only way to resolve it is to remake the whole centre section.

post-6950-0-42751200-1548441277_thumb.jpg

Overall, it's been a good few days and now I can see the layout starting to take shape. I'm certain in any build you get to a critical point. If progress slows and you've yet to reach that point, it's all too easy to find fault when you are miles from the finish line and pack up. Once you get to a certain point, it's a little like reaching the top of a long climb and then you know it's going to be down hill and easier to the finish.

Do you ever finish and if you do, is it time to start again? Maybe that's the wine kicking in..... :biggrin_mini2:

Arsenal v Utd tonight in the cup.  Even as a Spurs supporter I can still enjoy good football and it will be good to enjoy another glass of Merlot in front of the wood burner.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Funny how your modelling mojo comes and goes without reason. If anyone knows why, I’m all ears.

I'm only the newest of beginners at this sport, but my limited experience suggests four possible scenarios for the loss of the mythical mojo:

1. Your doing something, it goes pear-shaped, and you have no idea how to make it un-pear-shaped.
  2. Your doing something, it goes pear-shaped, but making it un-pair-shaped will involve undoing and re-doing hours/days/weeks/months of work.
  3. Your doing something, and it's all going fine, but you get bored, and start looking for something "challenging".
  4. You read a posting or magazine article, and realise that there is no way that you will ever be able to do what the author has done.
  5. Your doing something, and it's all going fine, but you've run out of some vital part and have to order more.
  6. Your doing something, and it's all going fine, but you've run out of some vital part, have to order more and the supplier is out of stock.

Edit: added 5. and 6.

Edited by aardvark

• RMweb Gold

That was one of my 'red lines'. The track easing to to straight had to be done with the minimum disruption to the two approach ends. Had it meant messing with each end, I'd have packed up and gone home....Wait a minute, I am home... :)

...and there's more.

A year to two ago I was talking to dear Allan Downes about changing the span on the overhead bridge of ET station. I suspect the original Peterborough layout had a slightly different track layout, but with 44.66mm double track spacing and centrally located buildings on the platform, it was clear to me that the span of the second bridge needed to be widened by around 30mm as the down steps were too close to the platform edge.

Here's what I mean...

attachicon.gifDSCF9562.jpg

It's one of those things that has bugged me and no matter what I couldn't resolve it by changing the track layout, without it looking obvious it was fudge.  Allan, bless him, was only too pleased to do the work, but for one reason and another, I never got round to it and now he is no longer with us.

I will have to ask others for help, as whilst I'm happy pottering around with PCB strip and a soldering iron, buildings are out of my comfort zone. Add to that the outstanding skills of Allan to produce such a building and my appreciation of his skills and I'm totally against trying to tackle it myself. The last thing I want is to wreck his work for the sake of 30mm. After all, it is at at the back of the station and apart from die hard railway modellers, it's unlikely anyone will notice.

Basically it needs to be widened by 30mm, either at the building end or the ramp end, but the thought of taking a knife to it, keeps me awake at night. I have approached someone who has the skills to do the work, so fingers crossed he will be able to help. It's funny seeing the blank walls that no one will see, but like others in the OCD thread, I know they are blank so may have them finished off at the same time.

Here's a close up of the footbridge.  Any ideas how to widen it by 30mm and not see the change are always welcome. It can be either end but will have to match the existing structure. Maybe the only way to resolve it is to remake the whole centre section.

attachicon.gifDSCF9565.jpg

Overall, it's been a good few days and now I can see the layout starting to take shape. I'm certain in any build you get to a critical point. If progress slows and you've yet to reach that point, it's all too easy to find fault when you are miles from the finish line and pack up. Once you get to a certain point, it's a little like reaching the top of a long climb and then you know it's going to be down hill and easier to the finish.

Do you ever finish and if you do, is it time to start again? Maybe that's the wine kicking in..... :biggrin_mini2:

Arsenal v Utd tonight in the cup.  Even as a Spurs supporter I can still enjoy good football and it will be good to enjoy another glass of Merlot in front of the wood burner.

A couple of thoughts on widening the footbridge.

Add brick pillars between the back wall of the station building and the footbridge?  Something along the lines of what can be seen in this photo of the goods bridge at Worcester Shrub Hill: http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/2dc84fb066e94033ae56818094c44d04/worcester-shrub-hill-railway-station-e62ype.jpg  The pillars could either be in the same brick as the station buildings or in a contrasting colour as in the photo.  This assumes there is room on the platform below.

Add an extra section of footbridge but without windows and just, say, vertical planking.  This would work particularly well if the measurements coincided with the apex of the ridge of the platform roof below.

• Like 4

Thanks Teaky. Having looked at it in detail this morning that idea could be possible. It's not without's risks, but could be done. It's not the complexity of the solution that's bothering me as it could be quite a simple fix based on your suggestion. It's just the thought of messing the whole thing up that's making me hesitate taking a razor saw/scalpel to Allan's work.

I took these this morning to show a bit more detail. Close up photography can be so cruel...

post-6950-0-66536500-1548501984_thumb.jpg

I should be able to separate the bridge section from the wall, in fact I'm not sure it's joined anyway. The real problem is underneath. It appears the base of the footbridge is glued to the canopy. The roof of the bridge would need one section replacing where it is cut around the roof, but I should be able to manage that....and it's out of sight behind the building.... :)

post-6950-0-16689900-1548502111_thumb.jpg

Perhaps once the valance is removed, I could cut back across the underside of the canopy to the width of the bridge and it may well come away. That would leave the piece of canopy stuck to the bridge floor, but once out they could be slit apart with a scalpel or razor saw. The canopy is 54mm deep, so there is room for a brick support if required or perhaps a simple unsupported covered area to the start of the walkway is the answer. I should then be able to replace the gap in the canopy with another piece of card, fill any gaps and repaint.

post-6950-0-55300900-1548502427_thumb.jpg

I feel a little more confident attempting this work as it will behind the centre building and the balance of the footbridge will remain untouched. Of course this is a simple job for those artists who turn out buildings by the dozen, but for those of us with 'sausage fingers' and a history of catastrophic mishaps, this is a big step.... :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Gordon, it looks as though it would be quite straightforward to ease the valancing off the canopy without damaging it as it's in 2 parts and then replace it after the surgery. The only time that the extension would be visible is when you use a camera to look along the length of the station, asI doubt that you can see behind the building from the operating position.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gordon,

There is no law that footbridge steps have to be central on a platform. The only requirement is that they must be at least 6ft (24mm) from the platform edge, as with all fixed obstructions. Looking at those columns, they may not be too far out. What are your track centres? If you have been using 50mm for 00 you could easily reduce them to 44.67mm centres for an 80ft curve, which would gain you an extra 5mm+ on the platform.

You could put a newsagents cabin on the far side of the footbridge steps to explain/disguise their being off-centre. It wouldn't need to be very detailed, and you might find a kit or RTR one which would do.

cheers,

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Like 1

Lovely to see you back making progress, it seems such a long time now since I copied your method of making and painting stone walling from plastikard.

Please keep it going we need your inspiration

post-29740-0-19684100-1548521151_thumb.jpg.

• Like 4

Hi Richard, I’m completely lost for words....

It’s funny how you potter around at home, really having no idea if people are reading your ramblings and suddenly you see a post and a picture that shows someone has picked up a process that you have experimented with.

I cannot take the credit though as I picked up the basics from the late Dave Shakespeare of Tetley Mills fame and I’m sure if Dave is looking down on us, he will be very happy his ideas are still being used on new layouts.

Now something is finally running I feel very happy knowing that ET may now become something that will give me a lot of pleasure.

• Like 11

Well it's only taken 10 years and at 3.45pm this afternoon something ran.... :danced:  :danced:  :danced:  :danced:

https://youtu.be/31gGySm9ccg

Edit: Thanks Martin, I was so chuffed I missed answering your post. The track centres are already on 44.67mm so no room there. I'll put the footbridge to one side for a day or two as I would like to finish off the track on one circuit at least.

What's there now are several loose pieces of track to join the boards together. There's no bus connection between the boards either. It's simply counting on the fishplates to conduct power from one board to another. Not ideal, but fine to get me round one loop. Funny thing was off camera is that the J15 suddenly stopped and the quartering on the wheels was all over the place. Of course as it hard hardly been run, one of the con rod screws had fallen out and chaos ensued. Trying to find the tiny screw could have been challenging, but thankfully it was between the rails a few inches away.

Happy days...

its a wonderful feeling when the first train runs, isnt it. I imagine it must be doubly so after all of your rebuilds. Congratulations

Gordon

The fact it's taken 10years is actually an inspiration to those of us still struggling to even get beyond the first rung

Knowing that perseverance pays off in the end is such an encouragement

So thank you

Colin

• RMweb Premium

The station buildings are based on Spalding, and the track through the station was indeed dead straight. I decided to go down there and take photos for Allan to work from on Whit Sunday 2000, and to avoid strange looks from passers by as I put my home made eight foot ruler up against walls and windows, I also decided to go very early in the morning. I was recovering from radiotherapy at the time, so wasn't pleased when I opened the curtains at about 0500 and saw pouring rain. Anyway, I still went, measured and photographed the surviving buildings, and then drove to Sleaford to do the same with the island platform building there, as it was very similar to what had been at Spalding. The far building was a best guess, as I could find no useful photos of the real thing at all, and it was long gone by this time.

All info and photos duly sent to Allan, who built the lot in about three weeks. As you say, he didn't believe in modelling bits that weren't going to be seen. So, they sat in my loft for about nine years before you bought them. I'm well pleased that they are getting a new lease of life.

• Like 3

Hi Gilbert, lovely to hear from you again and I'm so pleased that Peterborough North has turned out so well for you!

Great to hear the back story regards the buildings. It's funny but after all this time I may have found the answer.

I was certain on your original layout there were two sets of double tracks and try as hard as I could with numerous drawings initially and then Templot, I couldn't seem to get the footbridge across far enough with that set up.

This may be the answer.....After much searching of the web, I finally tracked down a pic of your first layout....

post-6950-0-85299300-1548542265.jpg

The buildings aren't in the pic, but unless I'm mistaken, it appears there is only one set of double tracks and then a wide platform with a bay end and finally a single track to the last platform.... :biggrin_mini2:

......which of course would put the down steps more central and explains why I couldn't shoe horn another pair of tracks in....

Mystery solved!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

About 60 years ago, my parents had bought a magazine that included an article about model railways. One of its tenets was to get things running as soon as possible, so avoiding boredom and loss of interest. I have never forgotten that, but equally marvel at Gordon keeping his mojo going - with gaps here and there - for so many years. Well done, Sir!

• Like 1