Coupling Review in Magazine ?

Hello Everyone.

I could be wrong but I seem to remember a Review carried out on the various available coupling systems which was presented in one of the Magazines.

Could anyone possible point me in the right direction as to what mag carried the review.

As I said i could be wrong ?

Cheers.

I can't remember a review in the magazines - there have been plenty of discussions on RMWeb on the subject.

The problem with any review is that it would be very difficult indeed not to insert some impartiality. What is best is very much subjective and dependent on the reviewer's own particular dislikes and likes. It can even be era and scale dependent as well as the obvious operational differences. There is always a trade off between being near prototypical and ease of use.

Many, me included, I suspect go through a try them all out phase to settle on one coupling never to change and almost ignoring any changes. It is one mammoth task to change all the coupling on your stock and should not be taken lightly, it is not something, whn done, you wish to complete in hurry.

I have my own preferences and have stated them in RMWeb threads and put up images - that doesn't make them the best (more importantly, best for you) simply what I think is best and comfortable with.

I can't remember a review in the magazines - there have been plenty of discussions on RMWeb on the subject.

The problem with any review is that it would be very difficult indeed not to insert some impartiality. What is best is very much subjective and dependent on the reviewer's own particular dislikes and likes. It can even be era and scale dependent as well as the obvious operational differences. There is always a trade off between being near prototypical and ease of use.

Many, me included, I suspect go through a try them all out phase to settle on one coupling never to change and almost ignoring any changes. It is one mammoth task to change all the coupling on your stock and should not be taken lightly, it is not something, whn done, you wish to complete in hurry.

I have my own preferences and have stated them in RMWeb threads and put up images - that doesn't make them the best (more importantly, best for you) simply what I think is best and comfortable with.

Hi Kenton.

Of course you're right.Its something I have been thinking about for a good while but its now I have to do something about it. I am laying a little yard on my layout & was thinking of Kadee & that I would want to get the magnets down as I was laying the track. The rest of the layout which is an ongoing project is main line & doesn't need uncoupling ramps or anything else like that.I could have sworn there was some kind of review recently but lankyphil below says it was 2003 when I was still on my Model Railway sabbatical :D

March 2003 Model Rail

Page 44-45

:)

Thanks Phil.I'll see if someone has a copy of the article as I wasn't modeling at that time. I'm back at it since about 2007.

There was also a short review of most UK couplings as part of an article about Kadee couplings in Model Rail 2006 August.

Thank you for that information.

The two sources mentioned so far were Model Rail March 2003 & Model Rail August 2006. Could anyone possibly [admin edit] these articles as its before I came back to the hobby in 2007. Even a link to where I might find copies would be appreciated. I have subscriptions to all the present magazines but these didn't start till 2008.

Thanks & regards to everyone for their help.

• 2 months later...

if the August 2006 article was my article in MR94 'Knuckling down to Couplings' primarily about Kadees and advocating NEM pockets (at the correct height!) then I can answer questions and comment further on it 8-)

In the article I did show the problem when the oupler was on a long arm - arising at the start of a gradient with the drop-wire potentially hitting the sleepers, but also experienced as adjacent wagons separating - a feature of the US original until they were modified to prevent 'riding up'

if the August 2006 article was my article in MR94 'Knuckling down to Couplings' primarily about Kadees and advocating NEM pockets (at the correct height!) then I can answer questions and comment further on it 8-)

In the article I did show the problem when the oupler was on a long arm - arising at the start of a gradient with the drop-wire potentially hitting the sleepers, but also experienced as adjacent wagons separating - a feature of the US original until they were modified to prevent 'riding up'

Hi Phil.

Yes that's the article I have & excellent it is too I might add although my copy is dated August 2006.

I understand what you mean by the drop wire catching. I run some American stock & in one case a drop wire was catching on the switch bar of a Peco point. Simply bending up the tail of the drop wire cured the problem.My American stock came fitted with Kadee's. I have stocks of Kadee's but as yet I've not got around to modifying any British rtr stock.I was trying to gather as much information as possible before getting around to doing some experiments.

I did a bit of experimenting with some 3mm x 6mm cylinder magnets set into the baseboard just inside the rail on either side. It worked well just pushing a couple of American boxcars by hand back & forth on a goods siding I was building.I can't remember exactly but I think I got the information on a blog somewhere on RMweb ?.

Archived