Instructions for Hornby HM4000 controller help please

I was wondering if someone has a summary of how to use this controller or an electronic copy of the instructions. Hornby make their service sheets freely available for download, but this is not among them. You may wonder why such is needed, but this controller has a brake simulator for smooth starts and stops and numerous coloured LEDs.

It is a double controller and each side has an isolator button and LED, brake button and LED that can either be continous red or flashing red, a drive red LED, a speed yellow LED, a slider control in addition to the normal direction (also indicated with LEDs) and speed controls as well as an overall power inicator LED.

The few references to this controller I can find on the Internet are requests for help and comments on its lack of reliability so maybe that is why it was discontinued. You would not of thought that it was possible to make the interface to a straight DC controller confusing! Many thanks for any help yo are able to give.

• 4 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Given the age of this controller, probably the best instruction could be to acquire a more modern different controller built to current standards and safety practices.

Tad doom and gloom, dont you think. Hamment and Morgan built there controllers to last. I have 9 of them, duettes, clippers, HM 2000, in daily use. Never even  had a single problem. Been using them for 30 years, and bought then, secondhand. Why would you assume that a newer controller, would have better safety standards. I would love to own one of those controllers. john

2 hours ago, yelrow said:

Tad doom and gloom, dont you think. Hamment and Morgan built there controllers to last. I have 9 of them, duettes, clippers, HM 2000, in daily use. Never even  had a single problem. Been using them for 30 years, and bought then, secondhand. Why would you assume that a newer controller, would have better safety standards. I would love to own one of those controllers. john

H&M and Rovex used to use asbestos based wire wound resistance mats. These, and transformers, deteriorate with time and, if presented for exhibition use, would almost certainly fail to gain the necessary PAT certification.

A certain German model railway supplier offers an upgrade service to keep your transformers and controllers up to the latest safety standards.

Edited by JohnDMJ

The white label was most likely the faded label with the programmed firmware version on it, not some feeble attempt to disguise the IC. The ST62T60C6 is a programmable Micro controller, buying the IC alone wouldn't work, you also need the firmware that goes with it.

Regards,

John P

• Agree 2