Blackpool shed, Bloomfield road

Hi Mike,

I think you might really struggle to find one TBH.

Blackpool North Shed, a sub shed of Blackpool Central, was over a mile from the Football ground Bloomfield Road.

I know the Fylde coast is flat but I doubt even the floodlight towers are visible, or your friend had amazing eyesight :huh:

I think you may be looking for a picture of Blackpool Central Shed plus football ground. These were very close together. ;)

HTH

Boogy

• RMweb Premium

Im looking for a shot that shows the shed and also the football ground if anyone can help please.

an old freind of mine used to watch the matches from standing on the locos in the shed.

cheers

Mike

Of course you mean Blackpool South Shed, right next to the football ground. This is the best that I can do. It depicts a Barton Wright 0-4-4 which was latterly used for carriage warming at Blackpool Central Station. Judging from its condition it has just returned from overhaul at Horwich. A buffer beam has been added to enable it to be towed.

post-6751-0-19038400-1301156210_thumb.jpg

If you want the shed itself try this.

post-6751-0-70682400-1301156363_thumb.jpg

Guest LNER Tom

Arthur, that second shot is fantastic, would you happen to have anymore from around the Blackpool area, particular Central?

I lived in Blackpool from birth until I was 19 (now 25) and I wasn't sorry to leave, but the Railways of Blackpool have always been of interest, particular Central Station (All I have known of that area has been the mass of car parking on the former station and approach lines)

My Father (now 72) knew Blackpool like the back of his hand, as he was a Chimney Sweep, and although not into railways at all, he know the area of Central well...in the late 40s/early 50s he was a Barrow Boy carrying luggage for passengers freshly arrived at Central Station.

Anyhow how to cut a long story short....I'm considering in the next 10 to 15 years, of constructing a layout depicting the area of lines around Rigby Road to Waterloo Road with Central Sheds 24E...although doing Central it's self would be great... but at 14 platforms....it seems rather large!

So any reference pictures of the area would be fantastic if anyone can help :)

Tom

Guest LNER Tom

They are stunning pictures Arthur, thanks for sharing. Certainly very helpful!

Would anyone have any long shots taken around the approach lines to Central and around the sheds?

Cheers

Tom

• RMweb Premium

The best shots that I have seen are those taken by the late Frank Dean. I believe he worked for the electricity company. The building overlooked the approach roads to Central. He took many photos from the roof. After his death the photos became the property of his nephew but they seem to have disappeared into obscurity. They do crop up in publications of the area. I suggest you scour the various publications. There are quite a few around.

If you interested in my LNER/BR thread then try here:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/1823-lnerbr-photos-from-1960-1980/page__view__findpost__p__11782__fromsearch__1

Arthur

A good source of photos of Blackpool & the Fylde are the books published by Foxline (author Stuart Taylor) which cover the 1950s/'60s period focussing on the intensive holiday traffic as well as the local passenger services & freight. There are several shots of the shed next to the football ground, showing the usual Black 5s, Crabs, Jubilees etc. There are foreigners too: 9Fs, B1s, K3s & even a J39. I can't imagine you'd get much of a view even if you stood on a cab roof, except through the gaps between the Kop, the little N West stand & the West stand. The shed roof might have done after it was renewed in the late '50s, just a few years before it closed.

There are plenty of high viewpoint photos in existence, taken from the Tower or from pleasure trip aircraft. This was popular enough for local businesses to pay for advertising painted on the football stand roofs. 'Ismail Teas' is one I recall. Only a couple of days ago a fellow Pool supporter showed me a photo taken from one of the floodlights or the South stand, showing the Kop roof under construction. To the left could be seen the shed & yard.

I have in my own collection several of Frank Dean's photos, which go back to pre-war days. He was joined in recording the Fylde railway scene by Peter Fitton, Chris Spring & many others as the steam era drew to its conclusion in the North West. Peter, who lived in Lytham, was photographing near Kirkham in 1959 when one of the last Compounds, painted red & yellow, hauling the Daily Mirror 'Andy Capp Special' hove into view. He cycled to St Anne's, bought a roll of colour film & continued to Central to record the abomination for posterity. This was one of the more outlandish specials: Mallard on Alan Pegler's Northern Rubber Special in '61, Compound 1000 & Lytham St.Anne's on the same day. Great Northern, WP Allen were exotic visitors too. The last Lanky Dreadnought ran to York in'51.

Returning to the football ground, the tracks at the back of the West stand made it a very cramped site & long after the railway had gone the gents toilet under the West had to be entered by shuffling sideways, crablike, to squeeze between the corrugated iron fence & the backs of the other supporters already engaged with the task in hand, so to speak.

Finally, some of you may remember Arthur Askey watching Bolton Wanderers from the cab of a WD, I think, on the embankment overlooking Burnden Park. Millwall's old ground in SE London had a similar relationship to a nearby railway. I wonder if other grounds were similar?

Guest LNER Tom

That's all very interesting NorthernGuard :) thank you for sharing your memories, and the Stuart Taylor books....have bought them from a couple of online sites.

We are heading back on Tuesday to my old stomping ground, and I will be taking the camera with me, particular attention taken on the Waterloo Road and Rigby Road areas.

I find it very interesting how Blackpool Corperation had coveted the land for many years, saying how they wanted it for development......and lets be honest little has been built on the entire site from Central's location, to where the Yeadon Way starts (previously where the fast line diverted away from the Southern line). The fact the whole area is mainly car parks and road says it all frankly

Will post pics in the thread :)

Hope you don't think I've hijacked the thread Michael :unsure:

Guest LNER Tom

Just to add on to last message, thanks to Northern Guard regarding the the Foxline publications, the first one arrived this morning, Part 4...dealing with Blackpool Central and the South Line....to date has to be the best book I have on the subject.

Superb pictures indeed!

Tom

Archived