Shawplan Laserglaze for Lima Mark 2 E/F

Ian J.

• RMweb Premium

I found out about the Lazerglaze products from Shawplan at Ally Pally yesterday and was very impressed by the look of the demo models on the stand so bought a couple of packs, one for a Lima Mark 2 E/F and one for a Mk3 SLE/SLEP. I've spent not too much time this morning fitting a pack to a Lima Mark 2E/F.

Now I am aware that the Lima Mark 2 E/F is about 1-2mm short, but to be honest to me it doesn't look severe enough to worry about. With this glazing, it transforms an otherwise chunky and outdated looking model into something far more acceptable. A bit of work with detailing the ends and sides and they would be pretty much spot on for appearance. Whether I will do such detailing at some point I'm not sure, but the improvement to the windows does make me want to consider it more seriously. However, at £8.00 a pack they aren't cheap to do so it will be a case of one or two at a time for me at the moment (and I have about 25 or so to do).

The first thing to say is that these window inserts require the removal of at least part of the internal glazing from the roof moulding, which isn't the easiest of jobs as the plastic is both hard and brittle. I used a mini drill to cut through it, but at its minimum speed it was still fast enough to cause melting of the plastic. So if you are looking to keep your Lima coaches in as near as original condition as possible then these aren't for you.

Secondly, having removed most of the glazing strip it becomes apparent that Lima used it to hold the seating moulding in place. Currently this is still loose in this first example and it will need to be fixed in place with something.

Thirdly, for now I haven't used any glue to hold the main or end door windows in place as the fitting is quite tight. This has allowed me to use the 'twist' method to get the roof off without issue. If glued in place I'm not sure how easy it would be to twist the body to cause the smaller roof lug to come free from its end. However I did have to use sparing amounts of superglue to hold the toilet and door windows in place as they are thinner and therefore there is less contact between window and recess.

The pack contents:

post-6714-0-03431900-1301225377_thumb.jpg

A single window fitted from outside and also showing inside how it protrudes into the coach (apparently the tinted material is only available in the thickness shown, which is why it protrudes into the carriage and why therefore the glazing has to be cut away):

post-6714-0-87666600-1301225383_thumb.jpg

post-6714-0-06849500-1301225387_thumb.jpg

From the outside with all of one side done and then the inside:

post-6714-0-92968000-1301225389_thumb.jpg

post-6714-0-24180600-1301225392_thumb.jpg

Close up showing the thinner clear glazing used for the doors and toilets (note the 'frosting' for the toilet is achieved by leaving the protective white covering on the glazing):

post-6714-0-06265500-1301225395_thumb.jpg

post-6714-0-73536200-1301225397_thumb.jpg

An end on shot of one of the tinted parts. This is intended to show that they are shaped quite precisely meaning there is only one way round and one way up they are meant to fit:

post-6714-0-74615500-1301225400_thumb.jpg

There was a small ridge of plastic in just one of the door window recesses that needed to be removed in order to get a decent fit for the window:

post-6714-0-68154400-1301225403_thumb.jpg

post-6714-0-81327600-1301225373_thumb.jpg

A view of the interior with all side windows fitted:

post-6714-0-59837200-1301225423_thumb.jpg

Ends before and after. These are fiddly bu**ers to fit, and at one end needed the paint scraping away to get them to sit in the recesses properly:

post-6714-0-21336700-1301225426_thumb.jpg

post-6714-0-04288700-1301225429_thumb.jpg

The finished coach:

post-6714-0-53820700-1301225431_thumb.jpg

post-6714-0-10350900-1301225434_thumb.jpg

Before and after:

post-6714-0-04281200-1301226810_thumb.jpg

I like the end result. Also, the glazing is more translucent than Lima's original and therefore the interior can be seen more clearly. But that of course means that it will need painting and detailing to look better :)

• RMweb Premium

How thick are they? I seem to remember Lima coach bodies are pretty thick.

Roger

Measuring the ones I have for the Mark 3 Sleeper, the main tinted windows seem to be a tad over 2.5mm thick (the clear ones are about 1mm). The stand rep (Brian?) said they were made from 3mm material, which I imagine is the nominal thickness. Looking at them directly myself I can hardly tell they're so thick, they do a very good job of disguising the 'door step' sized ledge. However, I have been thinking about adding 'Nosmo King' stickers and might have to put them on the outside as the thickness in that situation could be an issue.

• RMweb Premium

Nice. Thanks. Now if they would do the same for the old MK1's and the HST.

I didn't notice any on the stand for the earlier Mark 2s or Mark 1s, but I wasn't looking for them. Whether there are any for the Lima HST power cars I don't know, but all the Mark 3s are done I believe. They also do them for the Airfix (now Hornby) Mark 2Ds.

• RMweb Gold

Nice. Thanks. Now if they would do the same for the old MK1's and the HST.

Mk1 and early Mk2's are under development.

These are slightly complicated by the fact that an etched frame will probably have to be made, it doesn't look too practical to do them in seperate pieces to fit the existing plastic frames, although opinions are welcome.

In the fullness of time the range of coaches covered will be greatly expanded. Currently under development are Bulleid, GWR B sets, autocoaches, GWR railcar, LMS period 3 and the Hornby mag stove r, and that's only the ones I can remember :blink:

Mk1 and early Mk2's are under development.

These are slightly complicated by the fact that an etched frame will probably have to be made, it doesn't look too practical to do them in seperate pieces to fit the existing plastic frames, although opinions are welcome.

In the fullness of time the range of coaches covered will be greatly expanded. Currently under development are Bulleid, GWR B sets, autocoaches, GWR railcar, LMS period 3 and the Hornby mag stove r, and that's only the ones I can remember :blink:

Colletts would be nice...

Do you have a list of the types available (including locos)- I couldn't see anything on the web-site?

• RMweb Gold

Colletts would be nice...

Do you have a list of the types available (including locos)- I couldn't see anything on the web-site?

Sorry about the lack of a list, got to find time to do one :rolleyes:

Primarily air con stock at the moment.

From memory;

Airfix/Mainline/Hornby... Mk2D BSO & TSO & FO.

Lima Mk2E/F...FO/TSO.

Lima Mk1... CCT & GUV.

Lima Mk3... TGS.

Lima Mk3... TSO/FO.

Lima Mk3... Buffet.

Joueff Mk3... Buffet.

Lima Mk3 sleeper.

More info on the blog than the website.

....I particularly like the way the new glazing disguises the Rail Grey 'windowledges' without any need to paint themcool.gif

I saw these at Watford Finescale, and have to say that the "optical illusion" is very clever. The tinted windows are rendered in 3mm perspex, and this thickness of the glazing "lozenges" (they remind me of Fox's Glacier Mints) mean that they won't be for everyone - particularly those who want to have a go at installing fully-modelled interiors and can't afford to have anything protruding inwards.

However, Brian explained to me that improvements in materials meant that he could make and offer plain glazing down to 1mm thickness - just as we have now seen with the diesel glazing.

I also asked about Mk.1 glazing - not for Lima, but for the Coopercraft Mk.1 kits. Brian did indicate that Mk.1s were at the back of his mind already, but he wanted to develop the Mk.3s/2s to his satisfaction first.

Ian, seeing your conversion there has made me wonder if a Lima Mk2 would be suitable for a kitbashing project I had in mind. Would it be possible for you to measure the length of one of the saloon windows please, and the overall length of the eight saloon windows in a row? I've marked what I mean on one of your photos in case I'm not being very clear:

mk2%20distances.jpg

Thanks,

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Ian, seeing your conversion there has made me wonder if a Lima Mk2 would be suitable for a kitbashing project I had in mind. Would it be possible for you to measure the length of one of the saloon windows please, and the overall length of the eight saloon windows in a row? I've marked what I mean on one of your photos in case I'm not being very clear:

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul,

With only a ruler to hand I can't make definitively accurate measurements, but the insert is approx 19.5mm long as indicated, and the length over the eight windows (including the frames) is approx 195.6mm

Hope this helps,

From memory;

Lima Mk3... Buffet.

Joueff Mk3... Buffet.

More info on the blog than the website.

EW(M41a), isn't the Buffet pack just one pack to do both the lima and Joeff Mk3 Buffets??

Rest of the list seemes about what I remember too :)

Mike (73C).

EW(M41a), isn't the Buffet pack just one pack to do both the lima and Joeff Mk3 Buffets??

Mike (73C).

Nope.

post-7112-0-02157600-1301326589_thumb.jpg

I had to wait an extra week for the Lima Buffet pack. Brian only had the Joueff ones at Nottingham.

Hi Paul,

With only a ruler to hand I can't make definitively accurate measurements, but the insert is approx 19.5mm long as indicated, and the length over the eight windows (including the frames) is approx 195.6mm

Hope this helps,

That's great Ian, thank you very much.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Currently under development are Bulleid, GWR B sets, autocoaches, GWR railcar, LMS period 3 and the Hornby mag stove r, and that's only the ones I can remember :blink:

That's most excellent news. I have the SE Finecast sets to go into the railcar and the autocoach, but as per my usual method they won't be fixed in too strongly so can always be whipped out when the laserglaze sets appear.

Just a wild idea with regard to the B sets, but have you given any thought to including an insert for the window that isn't meant to be there? This would make for a relatively easy fill-and-file job for those that are concerned.

Hi Mike,

If this thread is going to descend into a wish list can I push for some glazing for the Hornby LMS full brake, but only after you and Brian have done some for the Heljan 26/27 and a certain brass wagon chassis.

Cheers

David

Hi Ian,

Nicely explained and great photos. I too bought a couple of packs to test at Ally Pally, but as you say, they are a bit pricey. Earlier this evening i did a quick try on just one Mk2F window, then discovered that the Lima window has to be filed, so more time and careful effort is required. Presumably even more plastic has to be removed when using the packs designed for the Airfix Mk2Ds ?

Years ago, we all used those Flushglaze vacuum windows on Lima Mk2E/Fs, the single pane ones weren't bad on a passing train, but these Shawplan types are far superior. Not sure i'll use the for-Airfix types, for the above reason, maybe i'll stick to my tinted acetate sheet versions, they're a lot cheaper ! Here's a pic of acetate on an Airfix.

Cheers, Brian.

StagecoachMk2d037.jpg

Hi Ian,

Nicely explained and great photos. I too bought a couple of packs to test at Ally Pally, but as you say, they are a bit pricey.

How long the laser takes to cut them out dictates they are going to be a bit expensive.

I'm surprised you had to file anything, I know with the locos Brian had to do each as a custom fit for a particular aperture.

Archived